GDT: Big Bad Bruins at Sabres, 3-19-2023 1pm ESPN+, MSG

matter2003

Just now, HumanSlinky39 said:

If Okposo doesn't call a players only meeting and this team doesn't come out with their hair on fire next game then this culture they claim to be building is just worthless word service. The talent is here. We've seen them pull off a bunch of really impressive wins over the last 13 months. Right now, they're broken mentally. Gut check time.

I'm also now fully convinced we need a legitimate veteran goalie to pair with Levi next year. UPL ain't it. No, not all of them are on him; but his rebound control is a major issue and his lateral speed/athleticism isn't good enough. That's not something that more "development" is gonna fix.

Too late

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

That’s my concern.  Or is the plan playoff contenders by the 2024 season?  

We might have to make a “hockey trade” or 2 involving a prospect … or 2 that we like.  

Not saying everything Adams has done is wrong but I do NOT see a WINNING PROGRAM

Seeing a PROGRAM that says, DON'T touch "MY" PROSPECTS

Just now, Sidc3000 said:

I agree about a winning culture but you have to be confident that your team is great to have such a strong winning culture. They know, like we do, that this team isn’t good let alone great. 

Totally agree. What’s that formula? Who knows. But I’m hoping that they go home, scream, kick, throw ***** around. Get it out of you , it’s toxic. Come back for these last few games when other teams ARE playing playoff hockey fighting for a spot while we aren’t. Learn from it, learn to be physically, see what great teams do. Try to match it, win some games. Be tougher for damn sure.  Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves for throwing the season away for being so freaking soft in the end. Maybe it gives them a taste of it. Maybe that carries over or at least gives them a glimpse of what very good teams look like.

Or we continue to suck for all eternity. Today sucked!!!!

18 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Get back to me when they win something. Actual good teams own them.

14-4 and Playoffs 4 years in a row. That is "Winning Something" . If your talking SB, point taken but there are 31 teams every year saying the same thing.

Pretty sure if Allen stays upright 10 years we will have a SB to go to and Win at least 1.

Unless you KC, your team can't actually say that honestly from this moment.

• Agree 1

I'll keep beating the drum, but the brand damage is actually huge for this organization. Losing an entire generation of a fan base, it's going to take years to rebuild it. And only a long standing winning environment is going to do it. Let's hope that starts next seadon. I understand why KA says their strategy is longterm success, because that's the only way they're going to climb out of this canyon they are in.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

10 games ago, the Sabres were well within the wildcard race, with some fans feeling confident they would make it in.

10 games later, the Sabres have 6 points in their last 10 games.  Only 3 other teams in the league have less points over their last 10 than the Sabres. 

Its been a tough schedule, but this is the opposite of 'stepping up' when under pressure to make the playoffs.

EXACTLY

4 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I'll keep beating the drum, but the brand damage is actually huge for this organization. Losing an entire generation of a fan base, it's going to take years to rebuild it. And only a long standing winning environment is going to do it. Let's hope that starts next seadon. I understand why KA says their strategy is longterm success, because that's the only way they're going to climb out of this canyon they are in.

I grew up in Buffalo, 56 years old. So I was fortunate to see some fun years. My son watched games with me. He’s in his twenties, left NC and moved to Buffalo. He struggles to watch Sabres. He does, but it’s not like when we watch the Bills. I hope this team can get the fan base back. When it gets going, man it’s fun! 

Edited by BUFtoNCfan
  • Agree 2

I didn't want to say too much cause you all know the Bruins are my second team below the Sabres (I think I must be insane for not reversing that yet) but this was downright embarrassing. Everything was set up for a chance to beat them. They were on the 5th and final game of a road trip, back to back after a tough game in Minnesota, Sabres rested, Bruins resting people, back up goalie, what more can you ask for? 

Do the Sabres not understand that you have to cover the slot and the dangerous shooting areas? I don't get this team's "plan" at all. They don't check in their own end and they don't fight through in the offensive zone. It's pathetic. 

The sportsnet feed I had to watch was NESN and although jack Edwards is an idiot - no argument there - he said one interesting thing that struck me as a primary difference between the teams and their cultures. To paraphrase (roughly from memory) he said "most people think the Sabres will be a dangerous team when they learn to play team defense. Defense is the hardest thing for young offensive talent to learn and has to come first to make it in the NHL." And that's the difference. Bruins stress that with their youth and it's a team defense concept and everybody buys in. We seem to think it'll magically come later. 

Dylan Cozens could be a Bruin. Maybe Alex Tuch. That's about it. 

Anyway, it was really weird to see all those Bruins jerseys against empty blue seats at the end of the game. Kind of sums up the franchise.

Sabres are still a joke. 

(did you notice Clifton wipe out Quinn end of the second? That's why I was saying he's an under the radar cheaper FA to target. If they actually want to become a hockey team that is and not a Disney on ice show.)

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

Kevyn Adams is a bs artist whose main objective is maintaining job security. If this was a real organization with standards he would actually have to do his job and meet them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

The sportsnet feed I had to watch was NESN and although jack Edwards is an idiot - no argument there - he said one interesting thing that struck me as a primary difference between the teams and their cultures. To paraphrase (roughly from memory) he said "most people think the Sabres will be a dangerous team when they learn to play team defense. Defense is the hardest thing for young offensive talent to learn and has to come first to make it in the NHL." And that's the difference. Bruins stress that with their youth and it's a team defense concept and everybody buys in. We seem to think it'll magically come later. 

But but but the great Donnie Meatball’s thinks they need to focus on offense only. Defense is hard so you teach it later 🤦‍♂️

3 minutes ago, hockey said:

Hearing plenty of laughter in the room behind Don's Q&A.

Yep same. The guys in the locker are soooooooo stressed 🙄

Edited by Sidc3000

Anyone come in with the nonsense excuses?

-Its a development year.

-Everyone is overreacting.

-UPL made a save in the last 10 minutes so he’s actually good.

-Advanced stats says “x” so nothing to worry about because I’m nerd who believes in witch craft. 

J/k on the last one. Kind of.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.