GDT: Sabres @ Islanders - Mar. 7, 2023, 7:30pm, ESPN+/Hulu WGR

LGR4GM

Tyson Jost will be in tonight. They wanted to give him an extra day and not force him to do back to backs (which they didn't think his injury would allow him to handle). 

Granato says he knows already who is sitting but the player hasn't been told yet. I would guess that means we will find out later today, I assume there is no morning skate.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Gotta go with Comrie. Huge game with playoff ramifications. 

Good to see Jost is coming back. Would be great to get Tillman, and Samuelson back. At least one to get Bryson off.  The lineup I’d like to see ASAP (while Tuch is out):

Skinner-Thompson-Quinn

Mitts-Cozens-Hinostroza

Greenway-Krebs-Peterka/VO

Girgs-Jost-Okposo

Dahlin-Samuelsson

Power-Joki

Tillman-Lyubushkin

I don’t have a lot of confidence in VO. Too much of a liability defensively. But perhaps he could be better if Greenway and Krebs were both out there? 

The worst thing that happened last night was having Bryson and Olafsson on ice at the same time. They are the only two double digit negatives in plus/minus on the team. And -21, -20 at that! Have to avoid that if possible. 

But when one considers that Peterka has 21 points with a -9 +/-, Olafsson has 32 points and a -21, the sieve-like defense of Olafsson is even more apparent. 

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

Gotta go with Comrie. Huge game with playoff ramifications. 

Good to see Jost is coming back. Would be great to get Tillman, and Samuelson back. At least one to get Bryson off.  The lineup I’d like to see ASAP (while Tuch is out):

Skinner-Thompson-Quinn

Mitts-Cozens-Hinostroza

Greenway-Krebs-Peterka/VO

Girgs-Jost-Okposo

Dahlin-Samuelsson

Power-Joki

Tillman-Lyubushkin

I don’t have a lot of confidence in VO. Too much of a liability defensively. But perhaps he could be better if Greenway and Krebs were both out there? 

The worst thing that happened last night was having Bryson and Olafsson on ice at the same time. They are the only two double digit negatives in plus/minus on the team. And -21, -20 at that! Have to avoid that if possible. 

But when one considers that Peterka has 21 points with a -9 +/-, Olafsson has 32 points and a -21, the sieve-like defense of Olafsson is even more apparent. 

It appears every player who ends up on the line of Olofsson sees a decrease in their playing. Mitts saw that earlier this season and now JJP is experiencing that now. I get that Adams wants guys who want to be here but you also have to play well enough to deserve to be here. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It appears every player who ends up on the line of Olofsson sees a decrease in their playing. Mitts saw that earlier this season and now JJP is experiencing that now. I get that Adams wants guys who want to be here but you also have to play well enough to deserve to be here. 

Mittelstadt didn't just get Olofsson as a linemate, he also got Asplund a fair amount of time as well.  And, as his was the 2nd scoring line, he also got saddled with whatever pairing was the 3rd pairing for ~1/2 of his shifts.  No, he didn't play well the 1st couple of months, but he really wasn't exactly set up for success either.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Mittelstadt didn't just get Olofsson as a linemate, he also got Asplund a fair amount of time as well.  And, as his was the 2nd scoring line, he also got saddled with whatever pairing was the 3rd pairing for ~1/2 of his shifts.  No, he didn't play well the 1st couple of months, but he really wasn't exactly set up for success either.

There always seems to be a need of a target. As you astutely point out that when playing with better players his production unsurprisingly goes up. What I can say from my observation of him this season is that his effort level all season long has been consistently good. Even when he was being unfairly scorned by the reflexive critics what no one could deny was that he was one of our best battlers on the boards. He is a good example that when elevating the surrounding talent you also elevate the individual players. And that shouldn't be a surprise. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Biggest game since? 

2/24 v FLA; 2/26 @ WSH?   

This team has been in playoff mode for a couple weeks. There are still 20 games left for the Sabres and plenty of time to make up a 4-point swing vs. the Isles, including another game against them. But every one of these games against wildcard competition is as important as the last one and the next one.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Since Jan 28th, with Bryson playing, the Sabres are 2-7. Over the same time they are  4-1 without him in the lineup. 
coincidence?

When we look back at this season, if they miss the playoffs - I think Bryson will be main culprit.  Or Adams for not adding 1 more depth Dman.

Hard to blame 1 guy in a team sport.  The record you show says something, so does his -20 +/-, and I am sure the fancy stats track the +/- rating. 

I think the goaltending is still suspect.  Some very good performances have been sprinkled in with a lot more mediocre play.  Team defense has been talked about at length - a few better defensive players, more defensive depth, and the forwards working harder - it all has to happen.  

But, we have what we have.  Adams did what he did and DG has gone on record as supporting the plan.   

This late in the season it becomes a battle of attrition.  Now it is up to DG to put them in position to succeed and the players to respond with big plays.  

• Like (+1) 3

42 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I'm attending my first in-person Sabres game tonight since pre-pandemic.  It will also be my first visit to the Islanders' new arena (it's much easier to get to the new arena than the old one is, as the new one is a 10-minute walk from an LIRR station, which is about a 30-min train ride from Penn Station in NYC, while the old one had no train accessibility).

This is also the first meaningful Sabres game I've attended in who TF knows how long.

Go Sabres. 

Bring us a win and wear your Rico #7.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.