GDT: Sabres @ Islanders - Mar. 7, 2023, 7:30pm, ESPN+/Hulu WGR

LGR4GM

11 minutes ago, Contempt said:

Second night of a back to back. Defense is beat to hell facing a team that likes to grind, slow play, and has good goaltending. This is not a formula for success.

top gun i feel the need GIF

Skate circles around the fish mongers.

fish slap GIF

Edited by Spoonman
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Crap.  There goes my optimism for tonight. 

feel they need a miracle now 

Islanders...pfff, whatever. That team ain't gonna sniff the playoffs. If we can't bury them with our firepower, then we don't deserve it. It's Buff, Pitt and Ottawa for the final 2. Don't you let anyone tell you different. 

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Yost is back. That's good news. The team was a Yost away from at least tying yesterday's game.

• Like (+1) 1

I was going to pay for ESPN+ today if the Sabres went with Comrie.  So since it is UPL, I’ll check the app and watch Drive To Survive. 

I can’t explain why I have such a disdain for signing up for ESPN+. I think it is just because we pay so much money for Spectrum cable.  I can afford it, but I can’t bring myself to do it. I could 🏴‍☠️, but I’m not watching on my phone…ya know?

Go Sabres. I’ll be reading this thread from top to bottom later tonight, so make it spicy!!

24 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

We don’t need a miracle because Samuelsson is out

Samuelsson is objectively overrated around here, I’m sorry. He’s objectively overrated.

He’s a good player

there’s way too much shark-jumping going on. First it was being argued we’d sooner remove Dahlin, the league’s best d-man, for Samuelsson, for a singular playoff game. If that isn’t ridiculous enough, Now we need a “miracle” to win without him

hes JAGP. just a good player. 

He’s not an MVP on this team. He’s 3rd, just considering D. 

2 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Funny enough, I’m not sold JJP sitting out is going to help us win over sitting VO.

Totally fair, but I think THEY are which in this case for me is the rub 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We don’t need a miracle because Samuelsson is out

Samuelsson is objectively overrated around here, I’m sorry. He’s objectively overrated.

He’s a good player

there’s way too much shark-jumping going on. First it was being argued we’d sooner remove Dahlin, the league’s best d-man, for Samuelsson, for a singular playoff game. If that isn’t ridiculous enough, Now we need a “miracle” to win without him

hes JAGP. just a good player. 

He’s not an MVP on this team. He’s 3rd, just considering D. 

Totally fair, but I think THEY are which in this case for me is the rub 

In the 1st game out for Dahlin last week, did the Sabres win or lose?  (Btw, Tuch was out as well.)

In the 1st game out for Samuelsson yesterday, did the Sabres win or lose?  (Btw, Tuch continued to be out as well.)

CLEARLY Dahlin is the better player.  But in a SINGLE GAME must win situation, it is often easier for the other players to pick up their games enough to weather the great player being out of the lineup.  They KNOW if they don't bring everything they have, they're sunk.  There isn't the same urgency having a very good player out.  Getting that one win is clearly doable though difficult.  Winning more than that is a hurculean challenge and way more difficult than making up for the very good player.  That's the theory and this kid's sticking with it.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

In the 1st game out for Dahlin last week, did the Sabres win or lose?  (Btw, Tuch was out as well.)

In the 1st game out for Samuelsson yesterday, did the Sabres win or lose?  (Btw, Tuch continued to be out as well.)

CLEARLY Dahlin is the better player.  But in a SINGLE GAME must win situation, it is often easier for the other players to pick up their games enough to weather the great player being out of the lineup.  They KNOW if they don't bring everything they have, they're sunk.  There isn't the same urgency having a very good player out.  Getting that one win is clearly doable though difficult.  Winning more than that is a hurculean challenge and way more difficult than making up for the very good player.  That's the theory and this kid's sticking with it.

I’m not giving the “we’d be better off with Dahlin out for a game” thing credence, sorry.

Unless, Game 7, cup final, you say right now you, Taro, would remove Dahlin first, given the choice. If gun to head you’d truly remove Dahlin before Samuelsson, for game 7, cup final, I’ll just concede the argument right now because to claim something that extreme, given your general aversion to hyperbole and favouring of reasoned statements, that you’ve foreseen something I haven’t and cannot grasp 

not even a joke. You’d remove Dahlin b/f Samuelsson, single must win playoff game? 

Sure, I’m on board 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

By the paddle of Ethron, we must win. 

by the power of grey skull !

Edited by Thorny

Re: your small sample size selection there @Taro T I will say I don’t find the results of those games very compelling when our best game of the year was played without Samuelsson

not only that, but prob our best game *defensively*. The problem with the “rally around it!” line of thinking is that it works both ways: could easily argue, without Samuelsson’s noted defensive presence in the lineup, the team rallied around a putting out a better defensive effort as a group. Saw it in Winnipeg. 

In the end, it’s easier to make up what Samuelsson provides than Dahlin. Dahlin is significantly better at offence than Samuelsson is at D. Dahlin is more advanced in his field, relative to other players with that strength league wide. 

Dahlin is also a better defender which makes the whole argument kinda wonky but, I digress 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.