Buffalo's best weck

PASabreFan

2 hours ago, Indabuff said:

Apparently Bar-Bill has excellent beef on weck but it's sacrilege to go there and not order the wings.

Agreed. That's why I end up ordering BOTH - Bar Bill wings and Beef on Weck are something special.  They have a "chef" behind the bar who exclusively and meticulously crafts each individual Beef on Weck.  Watching him was like watching an artist create a painting, he took that much care making sure the beef was put together and shaped perfectly before placing it on the bun.  They even have a special warmer to make sure the sandwich is at the perfect temperature and the bun is the right consistency when served.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

You can get both.  Their Beef on Weck is very good.  Schwabl's is better.

During my last visit to Buffalo, I went to Bar Bill in Clarence.  My first time at a Bar Bill.  As suggested above (pure genius), we ordered both.  Both were good, although I would agree that as good as the Beef on Weck was, I've had better elsewhere in WNY.  I'd order it again, but if I was going out strictly for Beef of Weck, I might pick another place.

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

A few years ago I got a good CTB beef on weck at a Noco convenience store in Buffalo. The horseradish especially was an experience. I had to be in town today and got another one (different Noco). Huge disappointment. The roll was small and somewhat pale. The beef was grisly. The horseradish dull.

I have to come back in a month. Any suggestions? There's nothing quite like a good beef on kummelweck.

You buy food at a NOCO store?

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

Schwabl's - The beef is great and the place is an absolute gem.....literally 2 minutes from my office. 

Everything about it is special.  From it being so tiny, to the beef being carved right next to the bar, to the birch beer they serve.  Haven't had pop in probably 15 years, but boy oh boy was that ever good stuff.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Everything about it is special.  From it being so tiny, to the beef being carved right next to the bar, to the birch beer they serve.  Haven't had pop in probably 15 years, but boy oh boy was that ever good stuff.

Love that place. the sides are great too.....Crinkle Cut fries with Gravy, German Potato Salad, Slaw, Pickled Beets, etc ! 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Eleven said:

I've been hearing and reading bad things recently--but mostly from people I don't know.  When were you last there?  

I don't love beef on weck so I don't have a nominee, sorry!

Last July after a golf outing.  I loved it.  My good time buddy was in town and rating he was rating Beef on Weck.  He put Charlie the Butcher and Anderson's ahead of Schwabels.

I like them all of the above plus Bar Bill, Schawnee, and Gabriel's Gate.  

I like them all with most any of the local IPA's.  

You can't get a sandwich like that in a lot of places.  

13 hours ago, Taro T said:

This is what I love most about a good beef on weck. It's harder and harder to find, though. 

@PASabreFan: The Beef and Barrel in Olean is much closer to the northern tier of PA. They do an excellent beef on weck in this style. As did The Pub in Jamestown, the last time I was there (that's actually one of the best I've had).

13 hours ago, Marvin said:

Schwabl's, Charlie the Butcher's, and Anderson's all do me well.

Given its accessibility, Anderson's beef on weck (it's called the Carl, or something?) is a very solid choice. They prepare  and carve their sirloins on site. Good stuff.

One final plug for Swiston's in the City of Tonawanda. They do theirs bar-side as well. Plus, you get vintage dive bar vibes galore.

• Like (+1) 2

57 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Should I not be getting mine at a gas station?

The Charlie near the airport is better than the gas stations. I occasionally get from the gas station in East Aurora and find it not quite as good as the flagship. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Goldseatsaud said:

Always liked swistons on the creek. We get ours thinly sliced at Federal Meats. Go to tops and get the rolls. I can load as much as I want 

OMG. I had always wanted to go there - looks so cozy sitting there along the creek. I figured since they had obviously been there years they knew what they were doing.

Well, finally got there and everything was cold and flavorless. To add, the back porch was old and in desperate need of cleaning and repair. Huge disappointment. Huge.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.