Sabres trade for Defenseman Riley Stillman in exchange for Josh Bloom

Brawndo

19 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Josh Bloom had a near zero chance of making the team so I guess trading for a depth D Man isn't terrible...

Based on what?  

KA said he wasn’t going to make a move unless the price is right.  How does this deal make sense under this stated goal?

I guess UPL goes down in a paper transaction until Friday to make room for this all-star.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Schopp had Chad DeDominicis on his WGR show talking about trades and Buffalo's interest in them. The most interesting comment that he made in this 19 min segment is that the Sabres are interested in trading with Washington for Jensen. They are hoping that the price comes down. He noted that they have had numerous communications with the Capitals for this player. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/schopp-and-bulldog

When I was watching the game yesterday I was thinking Jensen would be a good fit with us. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

https://sportsforecaster.com/nhl/p/26296/Riley_Stillman

Rotowire Mon, Feb 27, 2023 at 6:00 PM

Buffalo acquired Stillman from Vancouver on Monday in exchange for forward Josh Bloom.

SCOUTING REPORT

Almost all of his value comes from what he does in a shutdown role, since he does not contribute much offensively. He is most effective when he does not try to do too much and keeps his game simple (and physical). Is still young and learning what it takes to be an effective member of an NHL blueline.

Long Range Potential: Depth defensive defenseman.

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Based on what?  

KA said he wasn’t going to make a move unless the price is right.  How does this deal make sense under this stated goal?

Maybe, just maybe, the guy who watches Bloom closely isn’t nealry as optimistic as you are about the kids NHL future.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

When I was watching the game yesterday I was thinking Jensen would be a good fit with us. 

It would be interesting to know what Washington was asking and what Buffalo was offering. This is a situation where I would rather error on the side of giving a little more rather than coming away empty handed. This deal makes so much sense. 

9 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Schopp had Chad DeDominicis on his WGR show talking about trades and Buffalo's interest in them. The most interesting comment that he made in this 19 min segment is that the Sabres are interested in trading with Washington for Jensen. They are hoping that the price comes down. He noted that they have had numerous communications with the Capitals for this player. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/schopp-and-bulldog

He had a great game against is on Sunday. I'd give them our last second round pick.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mustache of God said:

He had a great game against is on Sunday. I'd give them our last second round pick.

I agree with you. If you have an abundance of draft capital, why not use it when it could be a factor in making the playoffs or not. If it doesn't work out, then so be it, at least you tried. 

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you. If you have an abundance of draft capital, why not use it when it could be a factor in making the playoffs or not. If it doesn't work out, then so be it, at least you tried. 

Yeah. I understand not going the Tim Murray route and throwing away picks left and right, but use your lowest of the three picks to get immediate help and you can hope the other two pan out in 4 years .

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

No, they won't all make it to the Sabres, but Bloom could've been part of a powerhouse Rochester squad and then you use him as a sweetener for a better player than Stillman. Some 2nd + Bloom for a true playoff vet rental guy in 2 years, for example.

As to Bryson: I don't think he makes it to Rochester, even at $1.8M next season. You waive him and some playoff contender out there could use a #7/8. I'm thinking the Wild. They've got an emergency loan D right now that Bryson would immediately replace in the lineup. Then, he could replace a washed-up Goligoski when Brodin gets back. They may be in cap hell next year but they've got 10M in space this season and could always dump Bryson for a 6th over the summer or waive him during camp when his cap hit would be likely to sneak him through.

There is no way Bryson is picked up.  But I’ll do a celly if he is

Haven’t read thread yet so apologies for overlap 

This is one I’m going to want to keep my eye on, re: Adams and his team’s pursuit of another reclamation project that they are presumably attempting to “Jost”. The player doesn’t appear on the surface to be a significant addition, so I’d assume w/o other moves Adams will be under the microscope for this one. But we still could see another move. There’s often some sort of family or personal connection with so many of Adams’ moves: it’s something that I honestly do not have a positive knee jerk reaction to whenever I see it, but in this case my fears in the past have been proven incorrect. 

Hard to really doubt KA right now with his establishing track record, let’s see how this guy does. 

Mostly I just hope it means Dahlin isn’t going to IR

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

It would be interesting to know what Washington was asking and what Buffalo was offering. This is a situation where I would rather error on the side of giving a little more rather than coming away empty handed. This deal makes so much sense. 

But probably only if Washington’s playoff hopes are over. That’s not going to be true soon enough, I don’t think. Unless we give up a lot 

5 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Yeah. I understand not going the Tim Murray route and throwing away picks left and right, but use your lowest of the three picks to get immediate help and you can hope the other two pan out in 4 years .

Botterill traded more picks than Murray 

this is a recording 

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I know they have a lot of forward prospects, but at first glance Bloom was a lot to give up for Him 

Looks like I was right on this front that his production was nothing to write home about 

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

But probably only if Washington’s playoff hopes are over. That’s not going to be true soon enough, I don’t think. Unless we give up a lot 

Washington had already dealt some players. So my guess is that internally they know that there are too many deficiencies to get them in the playoffs. Hard look to get a realistic assessment. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He is basically on the same level as Kozak, Nadeau, and others.  I’m perfectly ok with trading a forward or 2, but he promised we’d get value in return.

Didn’t he though?

Arent you pretty content if your 3rd rounder plays 140 NHL games by the time he’s 24?

I mean Stillman is 37th in his draft year in NHL games played.

Adam Fox is the only 3rd rounder from his draft year (2016) to play more. And it’s more than 20 of the guys taken in round 2.

• Like (+1) 3

The sad part is:

1) I wanted (demanded) D help

2) I was willing to trade some forward depth to get the help

3) I wanted the help here before the tough March schedule.  

4) KA said he wanted players who weren’t just rentals

In theory this move checks those boxes, except the “help” part.  He just isn’t good.  He isn’t an upgrade over anyone currently on the roster.   I hope DG can work his magic and get something from this guy, but that doesn’t seem likely.

47 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So Ethan Bear for a 5th didn’t make sense, but Stillman for a decent prospect (& former 3rd rd pick) makes sense.  Look who has better stats for the Nucks.

….and people wonder why I’m not all in on the Adams train.

From our perspective this is fair but (and I hate being this guy) it appears Adams is looking at different numbers re: players ie their specific stylistic fit and isolating numbers from similar situations in the past. So it could be a thing where the conclusions you are drawing here or what I or other draw might look accurate based on the info we have (Bear the better play) but if we had the full slate of data we’d potentially feel different 

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Didn’t he though?

Arent you pretty content if your 3rd rounder plays 140 NHL games by the time he’s 24?

I mean Stillman is 37th in his draft year in NHL games played.

Adam Fox is the only 3rd rounder from his draft year (2016) to play more. And it’s more than 20 of the guys taken in round 2.

The same things can basically be written about Bryson.  He has 157 NHL games under his belt.  He’s a 4th rd pick who is 26th in games played from his draft class and 3rd in games played by the 4th rd picks in 2017.  Only one 3rd rd pick (Morgan Geekie) has played more games than he has and he has more experience than 25 of the 2nd rd picks.  Sadly, Bryson has been demoted to the 7th slot and Stillman is basically more of the same.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.