GDT: Capitals @ Sabres - Feb. 26, 2023, 1pm, MSG, WGR

Mustache of God

13 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I’ll give ya a reaction on that even if my predictions for today got no love. I got ya 

More love for Thorny. 4 goals, 4 assists. 

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Honestly the F lines look fine still lol. I expect a big game from Cozens with his loaded up line re: the addition of the cagey Mittelstadt and speedy Hinostroza on the forecheck. Krebs line probably sees the least ice time by a bit   

3 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Hate the 2nd line 

It’s gonna be really good 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Though he gave up 4 goals, thought UPL actually played pretty well. Maybe he could've had the 2nd goal, but Jokiharju left Oshie completely open at the side. Not sure how Oshie got so open. UPL should've let Joker know he was there, but he didn't.  Still not sure who that play was on.   But thought that UPL got a little lucky early; Oshie rarely shoots wide and UPL was deep in the net on that 1st odd man rush against and then Ovie shot it more or less into him on the 1st real shot on net.  That got UPL's head into it.  (Still want an upgrade, but did believe that Ukka Pukka Dukka had a pretty good game.)

That drop pass to Power who was going off on a line change.  Yikes!  A buddy of mine has a saying "one ooops wipes out 100 attaboys."  Mittelstadt has to be more aware of the situation there.

That said, when Tuch is back, assuming no other F's are brought in, would really like to see Cozens center Mitts and Quinn.  Expect the 3 could have really good chemistry together.  To keep from making the Krebs line a disaster at that point would give Hinostroza the nod over Peterka in that case.

Back in the playoffs (for at least now).  Hopefully the Jets and Bolts win in regulation and they Sabres will still be in a playoff spot at the end of the day.  (Jets win won't affect whether they're in but how close they are to 7th.)

There’s more open space in this post than a UPL-tended net

• Haha (+1) 6

18 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I am shocked by the number of fans the had today. 

Matinee game… When I was a Caps STH in the 70’s matinee games usually brought out a big crowd even in the worst years

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

UPL this year: 15-8-2. Can't be that bad.

Nope. When you have to average 4 goals a game to get a win for your goalie, your goalie is indeed that bad. 

But you’ve made a liar out of me because I wasn’t gonna indulge your UPL fantasies. I’ll try not to let that happen again. Enjoy the crusade in the meantime.

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Hinny getting called up while Asplund still sits in the press box pretty much seals Asplund’s fate here.

Cozens needs a playmaker on his wing. I would like to see Mitts and him together. Hinny’s Speed complimented them well today.

Sure worked today, that’s for sure. Can’t see Donny G breaking them up as a result.

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

They can spend their money in town and leave with an L.   

Matinee games are a party… They start drinking at 1pm… Hahaha

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, steveoath said:

See something during the game that suggested UPL is tied with Skinner (oilers) for 2nd most wins by rookie GT this season. 

Makes sense. One gets to play with the greatest goal scoring talent this generation has ever seen, and the other gets to play with Connor McDavid. 

not bad for goal support 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Do you feel confident with UPL right now? You might be the only one on the board. 

Yeah I do. Mainly because there aren't that many soft goals he's given up. (SabreSpace definition of soft goal: A goal.) 
Today's menu:
1) Player left open
2) Rebound after a turnover
3) This was actually a set play. Deliberately high and wind with Ovi parked for the bounce of the wall.  Anderson would have stopped that because he would have seen the set up a mile away.
4) Gift wrap breakaway.

8 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Nope. When you have to average 4 goals a game to get a win for your goalie, your goalie is indeed that bad. 

But you’ve made a liar out of me because I wasn’t gonna indulge your UPL fantasies. I’ll try not to let that happen again. Enjoy the crusade in the meantime.

Grin and bear it because we are riding with UPL in the mix to the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Dan's biggest issue is that he's following RJ and those shoes are going to be tough to fill for anyone. My opinion of him changed when I started listening to other games on SiriusXM and realized just how awful other play callers are. I was driving with my buddy listening to the Penguins broadcast and we started making jokes about how we had no idea what was going on. I started paying attention a lot more after that. Dan's better-than-average by quite a bit.

I was watching the Anaheim feed of the Sabres game recently and their own announcer was pronouncing Lorentz's name "Lawrence." Now we've seen Lorentz's grandfather Jimmy play here for many years...When your own announcer doesn't know how to pronounce players on their own team, it seems they don't really care...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.