Cozens Contract Extension Announced, 7 years 7.1 Million AAV

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm really shocked everyone thinks this is a great deal. Why? The first thing I thought was that is was a gross overpayment by over double. I've always seen him as a Girgensons replacement and a 3rd liner. Now he's making Tage Thompson money. Are we really saying he's an elite 2nd line center now?

Horvat at 8.5 seems like a much better deal.

You might want to get your eyes checked 🙂 . Girgensons career high is 30 points, Cozens has eclipsed that in his sophomore year with 38 and has already put up 43 points in 49 games while carrying two rookies. 

Dylan Cozens is not making Tage Thompson money, Tage Thompson is making Dylan Cozens money. Had Adams waited to sign Thompson his contract would be 10M+.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

I'm really shocked everyone thinks this is a great deal. Why? The first thing I thought was that is was a gross overpayment by over double. I've always seen him as a Girgensons replacement and a 3rd liner. Now he's making Tage Thompson money. Are we really saying he's an elite 2nd line center now?

Horvat at 8.5 seems like a much better deal.

Since I think this is a bit, let's just casually compare Bo Horvat and Dylan Cozens. g/60 = goals per 60 minutes. xgf-xga is a measure of possession quality. 

Bo Horvat, 27 (28 b4 next season): 55.5cf%, 1.8g/60, 1.3a/60, 3.1p/60, 0.3 xgf-xga

Dylan Cozens, 21 (22 b4 next season): 53.3cf%, 1.3g/60, 1.9a/60, 3.2p/60, 0.7 xgf-xga

So the real question is would you rather pay a 22yr old for 7 years or a 28 year old for 7 years?

• Like (+1) 1

The Sabres are taking some gambles on these deals, but they are worthy gambles.  You need to identify the young talent with leadership skills early on and get them locked up.  Not doing so cost them guys like Reinhart and Ullmark.  They will swing and miss on some of these deals, but if they hit on most of them (and so far Thompson and Samuelsson look like hits, and Cozens, in my opinion, will be a hit) the team will be in great shape for the foreseeable future.

To add, they did a "bridge" deal with Dahlin and, in hindsight, a longer-term deal would have been the better route.  They need to get him extended again sooner than later.  He's thriving under the current regime and if his recent open letter is to be believed, he wants to be in Buffalo. 

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Love it.

What the hell, though, Cozens? Leaving money on the table. Why doesn't anyone want to get paid anymore? The cap is about to skyrocket: someone bet on yourself. (But yes, I hope it's all Bruins who bet on themselves and cripple their cap. That means you Pasta -- you're a great player and you deserve $11M.)

(I still think he'll overtake Thompson in '24-'25 as the night-in/-out 1C and ice-time leader because of his all-around game.)

No evidence the cap is about to skyrocket. 

5 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

70-80 points!? He's at a career high with 43...What are you basing this on?

Dylan Cozens is currently projected to finish the season with 81games 28goals 43assists for 71points. All he would need to do is maintain his current rate of play, not improve, just maintain. 

1 minute ago, freester said:

No evidence the cap is about to skyrocket. 

Either this offseason or next the cap will probably jump 6million bucks. It has been kept artificially low so the players can pay back escrow from the covid times and also Seattle's income has not fully been added to the ledger again because of the covid. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Elite & 2nd line seem contradictory terms.

Is he elite RIGHT NOW?  No.

Is he a 2C right now?  Yes.

Is he still crazy young with a great possibility of being a 1C?  Yes.

The only disappointing part of this deal is that it isn't 8 years,

They aren't contradictory at all. You have guys like Malkin, bakstrom, Tavares that cozens is now in the same money realm as (exceeds both malkin and bakstrom). It just seems like an insane gamble to me. He would have to double his production from last year at a minimum and then hold that throughout the deal for it to be worth it.

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Dylan Cozens is currently projected to finish the season with 81games 28goals 43assists for 71points. All he would need to do is maintain his current rate of play, not improve, just maintain.

If he maintains for 7 years agreed. He's done it for 40 games out of a career so far. Players regress all the time after big one-off years.

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

They aren't contradictory at all. You have guys like Malkin, bakstrom, Tavares that cozens is now in the same money realm as (exceeds both malkin and bakstrom). It just seems like an insane gamble to me. He would have to double his production from last year at a minimum and then hold that throughout the deal for it to be worth it.

If he maintains for 7 years agreed. He's done it for 40 games out of a career so far. Players regress all the time after big one-off years.

I want you to look up Bo Horvat's career shooting percentage and his current shooting percentage. 

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Im not really sure where you are coming from, but Horvat is overpaid by 3 mill and might never score more than 50 points in a season which is his average.

Cozens is looking like a 70-80 point player right now while carrying 2 rookies.    Watch some more games first 🙂

Edit: really hope this is sarcasm xD

He's at 54 right now...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.