What Do You Expect Of Quinn The Last Part Of Season?

bob_sauve28

11 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I almost want to see how Quinn does with TNT and Tuch. Nothing against Skinner in fact a talented veteran presence on the second line might make it even better.

Now that would be fun to watch! I bet he would do great there. 

Side note: Skinner is due for a behind the net bank in goal. He had a bunch earlier but they are not going in lately 

12 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I almost want to see how Quinn does with TNT and Tuch. Nothing against Skinner in fact a talented veteran presence on the second line might make it even better.

I wonder if they haven't done this because that would be all right shots on the top line and they want the versatility of having Skinner's left shot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

So we will see them getting these same contracts Cozens got? Can we afford all this talent? 

No we can’t in the longterm.  That’s why you have Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Östlund and others in the pipeline. 

The core is Dahlin, Mule, TNT, Cozens, Power and two top wingers who for now are Skinner and Tuch.  Everyone else will likely change over the next 7 years.  Fortunately we have two more years on JJP and Quinn.  There is a distinct possibility that one or both may get a shorter bridge deal to keep cap compliant.  

Odds favor Mitts, VO, KO and Z getting replaced over the next few years as the kids in the pipeline mature. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

So we will see them getting these same contracts Cozens got? Can we afford all this talent? 

If the cap hits $95 and everyone is content to play for $7.25 or less, then yes.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No we can’t in the longterm.  That’s why you have Savoie, Kulich, Rosen, Östlund and others in the pipeline. 

The core is Dahlin, Mule, TNT, Cozens, Power and two top wingers who for now are Skinner and Tuch.  Everyone else will likely change over the next 7 years.  Fortunately we have two more years on JJP and Quinn.  There is a distinct possibility that one or both may get a shorter bridge deal to keep cap compliant.  

Odds favor Mitts, VO, KO and Z getting replaced over the next few years as the kids in the pipeline mature. 

If Quinn and JJP reach their potential, the team will move Skinner (buyout if he's unwilling to waive the NMC) before moving them. Skinner faces the same scenario he did in Carolina as Svechnikov and Teravainen came online.

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

If the cap hits $95 and everyone is content to play for $7.25 or less, then yes.

If Quinn and JJP reach their potential, the team will move Skinner (buyout if he's unwilling to waive the NMC) before moving them. Skinner faces the same scenario he did in Carolina as Svechnikov and Teravainen came online.

If they bridge Quinn and/or JJP depending on their development they can likely keep Skinner for the term of his deal.  However I do think that re-signing Tuch may force KA to move on from Skinner, who will down to one year on his deal when Tuch becomes a UFA.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is a good argument for not passing up the opportunity to go for a little winning now, if it can be had. Dahlin / Thompson in their primes where Dahlin, Quinn, Peterka aren’t breaking bank, etc. 

We’ve seen it in the past where teams (Chicago, Kane/Toews) have won with key players on ELCs 

In my experience the window opens a little quicker than people think and closes a little quicker too 

unless yo bahston

Edited by Thorny

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If they bridge Quinn and/or JJP depending on their development they can likely keep Skinner for the term of his deal.  However I do think that re-signing Tuch may force KA to move on from Skinner, who will down to one year on his deal when Tuch becomes a UFA.

That next Tuch contract is one we need to be super careful with. Potentially even a candidate for ELC replacement 

Edited by Thorny

29 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is a good argument for not passing up the opportunity to go for a little winning now, if it can be had. Dahlin / Thompson in their primes where Dahlin, Quinn, Peterka aren’t breaking bank, etc. 

We’ve seen it in the past where teams (Chicago, Kane/Toews) have won with key players on ELCs 

In my experience the window opens a little quicker than people think and closes a little quicker too 

unless yo bahston

I’ve said it a bunch of times, and I’ll keep saying it, the future is not guaranteed. 

In all of the contract threads someone mentions, how are we going to sign them all?  And the answer is, if they turn out like we are hyping them, we won’t.  So we have a limited window with this group of talent and then we’ll need to bring up the next group.  And what if they dont develop as hyped?  Our window begins to close a bit.  And what happens if one of our core gets injured? What if it is career altering?

We should never pass up an opportunity to win.  Next year that opportunity may be less urgent.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

unless yo bahston

I’ve been arguing for months that the window is now and upgrading the D is a priority now.  Same with the goalies, but UPL is playing well enough to at least make us competitive.  

I was watching NHL now and they suggested we add Schenn and Barbashev.  They said avoid Meier who would have to be re-signed at a number above Cozens or TnT and therefore would upset the balance in the locker-room.  They think he isn’t as good as TnT and maybe not as good as Cozens either.

Barbashev is interested.  He is just turned 27, had 60 points last year, can play all 3 forward slots, is an UFA making 2.7, but is struggling some this year (24 pts in 51 games).  Considering how many Russians KA has drafted in recent years, having a veteran Russian who is young enough to be here awhile might not be the worst idea.  He also has 50 games of playoff experience.  He’s an upgrade over Vinnie and Asplund, great injury insurance and a possible KO replacement is KO walks this summer who can play anywhere in the lineup. NHL Now said he was a pretty good guy as well.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

That next Tuch contract is one we need to be super careful with. Potentially even a candidate for ELC replacement 

He has 3 years left at $4.75.  He will be turning 30 the year of his next contract.  Hmmm ... it all depends on what happens in the draft and who might be able to bring what he does.  If anyone he would take a *home* team discount, especially if the Sabres have a cup in the next 3 years or are really on the cusp of several cups.

If he hold up over the next 3 seasons I can see the Sabres wanting to sign him to an extension.

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

That would be a cold business move.

He is providing tremendous value and should be wearing a letter then. He skates well so I can see him lasting a few years after his current deal.

His role will change and I can see him accepting a spot on an energy line. 

6 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’ve been arguing for months that the window is now and upgrading the D is a priority now.  Same with the goalies, but UPL is playing well enough to at least make us competitive.  

I was watching NHL now and they suggested we add Schenn and Barbashev.  They said avoid Meier who would have to be re-signed at a number above Cozens or TnT and therefore would upset the balance in the locker-room.  They think he isn’t as good as TnT and maybe not as good as Cozens either.

Barbashev is interested.  He is just turned 27, had 60 points last year, can play all 3 forward slots, is an UFA making 2.7, but is struggling some this year (24 pts in 51 games).  Considering how many Russians KA has drafted in recent years, having a veteran Russian who is young enough to be here awhile might not be the worst idea.  He also has 50 games of playoff experience.  He’s an upgrade over Vinnie and Asplund, great injury insurance and a possible KO replacement is KO walks this summer who can play anywhere in the lineup. NHL Now said he was a pretty hood guy as well.

The Sabres need more hood types in the lineup. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

He has 3 years left at $4.75.  He will be turning 30 the year of his next contract.  Hmmm ... it all depends on what happens in the draft and who might be able to bring what he does.  If anyone he would take a *home* team discount, especially if the Sabres have a cup in the next 3 years or are really on the cusp of several cups.

If he hold up over the next 3 seasons I can see the Sabres wanting to sign him to an extension.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

That would be a cold business move.

He is providing tremendous value and should be wearing a letter then. He skates well so I can see him lasting a few years after his current deal.

His role will change and I can see him accepting a spot on an energy line. 

No doubt, we/he may (most likely will) definitely be in a spot where an extension is what both parties are after. But assuming that’s the case, it’s still going to be a deal we need to be really quite careful with. I’m not suggesting a cold business move: dumping him if he’s a good candidate for a different role on the team amendable to both parties, etc. But the new deal will be due right when the cap will actually be getting tight for us - exactly the point where cap flexibility is the most important as we are presumably trying to make deep playoff runs. Why are we seeing the long term deals from Adams of late? As brawndo mentioned the analytical trend is to pay for future performance rather than past. Tuch presents a case where, he’s likely going to be coming off career years, he’s playing so well, but turning 30: it’s a spot we need to be careful. Don’t want to overpay or, to your points: under, either.

It’s far enough away still that the entire landscape will probably look vastly different by then, to the point it’s tough to even have a firm stance on it yet. It’s just historically the point at which LT deals become very dicey. The fact he’ll probably/hopefully be coming off the best stretch of his career heading into it makes it both complicated and firmly in the “good problems to have” category: but it’s one of those decisions/evaluations where I don’t envy the guy in the chair. Interesting/fun to speculate about, though.

Edited by Thorny

7 hours ago, Thorny said:

unless yo bahston

Unexpectedly ELITE goaltending HAS to be a HUGE reason why a good team who was at a bit of a crossroads in the offseason is again such a powerhouse (given the save percentage going from a top-10 .909 to #1 .930. Shooting percentage is ALSO top-5 in 2022/23, so there's more to it, but duh). 

• Like (+1) 1

Actually, although I know nobody wants to hear this, I expect him and Peterka to have a rough go of it in the next stretch as the hockey is going to get serious, more physical, and closer checked. No room for errors. I expect their ice time will be reduced on numerous occasions and some games they will outright struggle, until maybe the tail end of the year if we get discounted again. Depends how things go. 

I think Quinn is a key player for the playoff push, and that is a problem for the Sabres.  The higher projections that I’m reading here, like 18 to 20 goals and 35 to 40 points would really help this team to make the playoffs.  They have to finish ahead of three teams out of Washington, Pitts, NYI, and Florida.  It’s going to be interesting.  

Quinn, and that entire line, need to pick it up, but will they?  I still have visions of him falling and playing hesitant hockey for periods of time and the playoff intensity is something has to click.  I think it will but it will happen next season.  

I will go with 14 -15 goals and 32-35 points, with continued flashes of promise. 

16 hours ago, Weave said:

I’ve said it a bunch of times, and I’ll keep saying it, the future is not guaranteed. 

In all of the contract threads someone mentions, how are we going to sign them all?  And the answer is, if they turn out like we are hyping them, we won’t.  So we have a limited window with this group of talent and then we’ll need to bring up the next group.  And what if they dont develop as hyped?  Our window begins to close a bit.  And what happens if one of our core gets injured? What if it is career altering?

We should never pass up an opportunity to win.  Next year that opportunity may be less urgent.

I don't disagree with you. However, I will say that the window is not this season, this year. I think that window could open next year if players progress as we all have seen and currently hope. Next year you gotta start trying to win playoff series. By trying I mean adding outside talent, trading picks or prospects if necessary and really fixing and remaining holes that exist. This season, I think because Power, Quinn, Peterka, and goalie are still growing, you aren't quite ready to hit that accelerator. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't disagree with you. However, I will say that the window is not this season, this year. I think that window could open next year if players progress as we all have seen and currently hope. Next year you gotta start trying to win playoff series. By trying I mean adding outside talent, trading picks or prospects if necessary and really fixing and remaining holes that exist. This season, I think because Power, Quinn, Peterka, and goalie are still growing, you aren't quite ready to hit that accelerator. 

We’re on a run to 9th place now.  I’m not saying go all in.  I’m saying now is the time to marginally upgrade where we have holes and ensure we get into the playoffs this year.

Next year is not guaranteed.  Maybe two of those rookies stall out next year.  Maybe Tage needs back surgery.  Maybe….. whatever.  We have an opportunity this year to get this team some playoff exposure.  Carpe Diem.

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

We’re on a run to 9th place now.  I’m not saying go all in.  I’m saying now is the time to marginally upgrade where we have holes and ensure we get into the playoffs this year.

Next year is not guaranteed.  Maybe two of those rookies stall out next year.  Maybe Tage needs back surgery.  Maybe….. whatever.  We have an opportunity this year to get this team some playoff exposure.  Carpe Diem.

What are you willing to part with? 

21 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Actually, although I know nobody wants to hear this, I expect him and Peterka to have a rough go of it in the next stretch as the hockey is going to get serious, more physical, and closer checked. No room for errors. I expect their ice time will be reduced on numerous occasions and some games they will outright struggle, until maybe the tail end of the year if we get discounted again. Depends how things go. 

So what does that look like for our newly cemented #2C? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.