Sabres Trade Deadline 2023 Discussion

GASabresIUFAN

Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade for the playoff push?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. Playoff contention - What position(s) should KA upgrade without hurting the team long-term

• Goaltender - We need another goalie, I'm not comfortable with UPL, Comrie and Andy for the playoffs
    • 2nd pair Defense - Jokiharju needs to be upgraded
    • 3rd pair Defense - Bryson needs to be upgraded
    • Defense depth - I want someone better than Clague in the 7th D slot
    • Forward depth - We need a better 13th forward than Vinnie or Asplund
    • Scoring Depth - Upgrade one of Mitts or VO now. Don't wait until the off-season
    • 4th line - As much as I like KO and Z, we need more grit and more production from the 4th line
  2. 2. How many deals will KA complete by the trade deadline

• 0 - KA won't spend any assets to help this team
    • 1 or 2 - KA will utilize our cap space to help other deals get done, but won't acquire any help at the deadline
    • 1 or 2 - KA will acquire some D help at the deadline.
    • 3 or 4 - KA will acquire D help and will also pick up assets using our cap space to help others get deals done
    • 5 or more - KA is going to bolster the Sabres and the Amerks.

This poll is closed to new votes

<vent>

I am getting fed up with people on other Sabres boards who want to massively overpay large chunks of the high-end prospects for comparatively little gain.  I see multiple pieces of Peterka, Savoie, Kulich, Östlund, and 2023 1st plus one or more of Olofsson, Mittlestadt, and Jokiharu for Chychrun or other players out there in proposals by Sabres fans.  These overpayment sometimes put Tim Murray in the shade.  People are so desperate to win now that they are willfully blind to the problems down the road.

Now, I have seen people saying Dahlin will only get his QO because the Sabres will forever be a cap floor team, so the Sabres should load up now and then, presumably, trade him in the off-season.  Girgensons to Pittsburgh for a late round pick.  It is ridiculous.

</vent>

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

<vent>

I am getting fed up with people on other Sabres boards who want to massively overpay large chunks of the high-end prospects for comparatively little gain.  I see multiple pieces of Peterka, Savoie, Kulich, Östlund, and 2023 1st plus one or more of Olofsson, Mittlestadt, and Jokiharu for Chychrun or other players out there in proposals by Sabres fans.  These overpayment sometimes put Tim Murray in the shade.  People are so desperate to win now that they are willfully blind to the problems down the road.

Now, I have seen people saying Dahlin will only get his QO because the Sabres will forever be a cap floor team, so the Sabres should load up now and then, presumably, trade him in the off-season.  Girgensons to Pittsburgh for a late round pick.  It is ridiculous.

</vent>

what hellscape r you reading?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

1) Aren’t you tired of the team having to score 6 goals to win?  2) Aren’t you tired of the missed assignments on D, the bad clearing passes and the goalies missing shots they see? 

3) I know I’ve beaten this horse for months, but when there is no improvement year over year isn’t time to change course and try a different approach?

1) I find it kind of exciting, although I also find 1-0 goaltender duels to be exciting. I do like that at least this Granato-led squad is capable of getting 6 to win.

2) Yes, yes, and yes. Goaltending aside, one of the biggest problems is the forwards flying the zone for the breakaway pass instead of staying back to secure possession first. That's the biggest difference between the Sabres and "good" defensive teams. It's great for 6 goals for, but it's very bad against well-structured and good forechecking opponents.

3) I think the year-to-year improvement on D is in their experience. Joker is the oldest of the top 4 and he's 23. I still think he's a potential Lydman, but the Sabres didn't get Lydman until he was 28 and through his growing pains. The same goes for all of the top 4. Adams is looking at the window opening in 2024-25. I think this team would benefit greatly from a taste of the playoffs, but even next year I'm not sure the new core will be ready for the playoffs even if they get in. They have tried different approaches that also failed: Murray set up a very veteran defensive-D minded group with Bogosian, Gorges, Kulikov, and had kids like Risto and McCabe. And then the team couldn't score. Whether it's unfortunate or fortunate remains to be seen, but we're on Adams' timeline and not our own. Really -- we're on Dahlin's timeline, and no longer Eichel's. And thankfully, Dahlin's window is looking to be very high-ceilinged and lengthy, and it really isn't even open yet.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

st of the top 4 and he's 23. I still think he's a potential Lydman, but the Sabres didn't get Lydman until he was 28 and through his growing pains. The same goes for all of the top 4. Adams is looking at the window opening in 2024-25. I think this team would benefit greatly from a taste of the playoffs, but even next year I'm not sure the new core will be ready for the playoffs even if they get in. They have tried different approaches that also failed: Murray set up a very veteran defensive-D minded group with Bogosian, Gorges, Kulikov, and had kids like Risto and McCabe. And then the team couldn't score. Whether it's unfortunate or fortunate remains to be seen, but we're on Adams' timeline and not our own. Really -- we're on Dahlin's timeline, and no longer Eichel's. And thankfully, Dahlin's window is looking to be very high-ceilinged and lengthy, and it really isn't even open yet.

Sorry but if we are talking about "if they get in" next year, Adams has objectively failed. 

Suggesting a guy who will finish 1st or 2nd in the Norris vote hasn't really had his cup winning window open yet is just not accurate. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3

15 minutes ago, Marvin said:

<vent>

</vent>

I don't think the fanbase is tough enough for a growth season.

Every 3-game winning streak you see hope starting to creep in to people's posts.

Every loss like last night and it's "I knew it, they were just teasing me, they're never going to change!"

We're like a partner in an abusive relationship.

His inability to find a goalie yet aside, I am so glad Kevyn Adams has his hands on the wheel.

Don't know if his plan will get us there, but listening to the noise definitely won't.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sorry but if we are talking about "if they get in" next year, Adams has objectively failed. 

Suggesting a guy who will finish 1st or 2nd in the Norris vote hasn't really had his cup winning window open yet is just not accurate. 

Every season is an "if they get in" season until they're in for a few seasons in a row. They could get catastrophic injuries and miss or it could depend a bunch on Boston this next season. TBL and TOR will still be very, very good next season (depending on Matthews, I suppose). BOS is the x-factor on if they are an all-in one-and-done, or do they go for another year next season because they flame out this playoff? We'll have all offseason to wonder on this.

While I think Dahlin is deserving of top Norris votes, I think it's going to be entirely dependent on the finish down the stretch. If the Sabres make the playoffs (and he's healthy and contributing) he's 1-2, yes. If they miss, then he's probably looking at 4-5, because nationally they'll see the Karlsson statistical anomaly, Morrissey's excellent year, Hamilton leading NJ to the playoffs where Dahlin couldn't, and Fox being the straw that stirs the NYR drink.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't think the fanbase is tough enough for a growth season.

Every 3-game winning streak you see hope starting to creep in to people's posts.

Every loss like last night and it's "I knew it, they were just teasing me, they're never going to change!"

We're like a partner in an abusive relationship.

His inability to find a goalie yet aside, I am so glad Kevyn Adams has his hands on the wheel.

Don't know if his plan will get us there, but listening to the noise definitely won't.

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

what hellscape r you reading?

From what people are saying about Sabres Twitter, that is worse.  All 3 2022 1sts and 2023 1st for Chychrun.  "Adams has to play the inflated prices for a rental now because he was cheap over the summer and didn't sign a few high-end UFAs.  Either that or he and his staff should be fired."  That is a direct quote.  "Buffalo is the new Arizona except Arizona's new owner is willing to spend."  Another direct quote.

Has anyone noticed that we have only seen quantity-for-quality trades so far?  Sabres fans will overpay in quantity and quality just to make a deal.

Just now, Marvin said:

From what people are saying about Sabres Twitter, that is worse.  All 3 2022 1sts and 2023 1st for Chychrun.  "Adams has to play the inflated prices for a rental now because he was cheap over the summer and didn't sign a few high-end UFAs.  Either that or he and his staff should be fired."  That is a direct quote.  "Buffalo is the new Arizona except Arizona's new owner is willing to spend."  Another direct quote.

Has anyone noticed that we have only seen quantity-for-quality trades so far?  Sabres fans will overpay in quantity and quality just to make a deal.

Personally, I wouldn't trade any of the 2022 1sts. I think we hit on all three.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Twitter😂 Don't care really. I agree that Adams should have upgraded goaltending but high priced free agents? Not good way to go in my opinion.

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, Marvin said:

From what people are saying about Sabres Twitter, that is worse. 

This is not well known but

TWITTER IS FOR TWITS!!!

for every dozen Sabres fans who are grounded in rational thought and don't over react on every whim they have, you will have one over zealous loud mouth who has to be heard and is incapable of rational thought and/or discussion. That same loud mouth is also incapable of saying what they needed to say and just letting it go

This is true for every single sports team on the planet. 

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Weave said:

You guys are clearly doing twitter wrong.  I don’t see any of that *****.  It’s not that hard to filter what you want to see.

I never went to Twitter, particularly after my late friend who was employee 75 jumped ship to Snowflake told me how horrified he was at what it has wrought.  I am just writing about what Buffalo sports media people are posting and retweeting.

21 hours ago, dudacek said:

Just asked this in the other trade thread. There are a billion defencemen still available.

The beauty of this is that he can afford to wait.

As much as a few want to sell the farm to make the playoffs, they can do that without selling the farm, and making the playoffs is absolutely as far as they are going to go.

3 of the Rangers, Bruins, Lightning and Leafs are going to live to regret what they’re doing.

Regret? Heck no

agree with the rest 

If I was in the situation those teams are I would implore my GM to do the same. 

And wouldn’t revert to revisionist stuff after, should it not work out. Those teams are going for it, they should be. 

21 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

💯 % agree. The 2023 Eastern Conference arms race is going to blow the door wide open for the Sabres multiple, yes multiple victorious Cup run seasons in just a short time. I'm actually loving watching this unfold.

No, it’s really not. The Sabres are going to become good, I agree on that part. But it’s not because of what the contending teams are doing right now. NM the  wild suggestion it will, in itself, open up the door to “multiple cups”. the decision making process, and context, that led to these teams being in the spot they are, in the *first place*, where they ARE in a position where these moves are actually possible, will continue: just like I always say we have to take the Ullmark swing and miss with Adams because the very decision making process that led to that miss is what has resulted in so many of his good moves. The GMs operating this way is part and parcel with the decision making process that got them to this spot. 

The “other teams are opening up a window for the Sabres”, the “other teams are going to regret this” lines of thought are misplaced, borne out of the situation we’ve been in for so long where we’ve forgotten how the rest of the world lives. 

No one is opening a window for the Sabres. We will need to push ourselves through 

Edited by Thorny

@dudacek and @Thorny  of your list of teams that are going to regret their actions this week, I think the Rags and Leafs are two that will regret it.  Bos is having a surprise season their top forwards, Bergeron, Marchand and Krejci, are very close to the end of their careers.  They are trying to strike while the iron is hot.  TB also.  They've won their Cups are trying to squeeze the last juice out of the orange.  The NYR I don't understand.  They are a young team built now, but also for the next decade.  They are going to regret losing so much capital.  I do love watching Tor flail away.  They are so desperate to make a run they'll do anything and "sadly" I doubt it helps.  

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

❤️

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Every season is an "if they get in" season until they're in for a few seasons in a row. They could get catastrophic injuries and miss or it could depend a bunch on Boston this next season. TBL and TOR will still be very, very good next season (depending on Matthews, I suppose). BOS is the x-factor on if they are an all-in one-and-done, or do they go for another year next season because they flame out this playoff? We'll have all offseason to wonder on this.

While I think Dahlin is deserving of top Norris votes, I think it's going to be entirely dependent on the finish down the stretch. If the Sabres make the playoffs (and he's healthy and contributing) he's 1-2, yes. If they miss, then he's probably looking at 4-5, because nationally they'll see the Karlsson statistical anomaly, Morrissey's excellent year, Hamilton leading NJ to the playoffs where Dahlin couldn't, and Fox being the straw that stirs the NYR drink.

Agree re: Dahlin, and I this injury stretch is really gonna hurt his case, it’s already tight. It honestly freaking sucks, having a hard time not getting engulfed by hockey depression here  

1 hour ago, Weave said:

You guys are clearly doing twitter wrong.  I don’t see any of that *****.  It’s not that hard to filter what you want to see.

95% of Sabres twitter was “trust the process” until the deadline deals starting charging through and now their heads are turning quicker than Simba’s when the wildebeests got going 

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No one is opening a window for the Sabres. We will need to push ourselves through 

Ah ha! Got ya!

So Mr. Thorny, you thought you'd get away with it did ya. By your own admittance you declare the window open, but virtue of your suggesting all the Sabres have to do is push their way through.

Ladies and gentlemen and them/they, I submit the defendants own words as evidence. 😀

• Agree 1

Just now, Scottysabres said:

Ah ha! Got ya!

So Mr. Thorny, you thought you'd get away with it did ya. By your own admittance you declare the window open, but virtue of your suggesting all the Sabres have to do is push their way through.

Ladies and gentlemen and them/they, I submit the defendants own words as evidence. 😀

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.