GDT: 1/1/23—Happy New Year Edition—Sabres @ Senators // 7ET on MSG

#freejame

7 minutes ago, FanaticSense06 said:

YA everyone can see they are all tired, yet Granato plays TT, Skinner, Tuch 19 minutes and Quinn and JJ 11-12 minutes...

Should we not be using the fresh legs in a back to back game? Why is he forcing our 1st line onto the ice tired? I hate this crap, its the same crap we did with Eichel.

This is not a 1 line team and I don't want it to be.

Okposo's line played well in this game as they are more suited to the style Ottawa was dictating. The kids struggle with this stuff, they still have much to learn. Krebs is getting it. It'll come. 

• Agree 4

20 minutes ago, Mango said:

Relying on one line to play 30 minutes a game isn’t sustainable either. 

I get why your top 5 are toast tonight. I would have liked to have the team step up. 

Yes, the team is a work in progress.  We need another solid vet defenseman to play with Power, who played 25 minutes tonight on top of 28 yesterday - he mostly plays with an AHL level partner which might hinder his offensive game.  

Our second line has 2 good looking rookies that can sometimes have some bad matchups on the road, limiting their ice.  Our third line has a few players that are not sound in our defensive zone.  

The team is getting better, but not a veteran team that will win even when they play a bad game. Tonight was a tired and poor effort compared to recent weeks.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

Okposo's line played well in this game as they are more suited to the style Ottawa was dictating. The kids struggle with this stuff, they still have much to learn. Krebs is getting it. It'll come. 

The only way the kids struggling learn to play is to play the game...

Skinner Tuch and Tage Thompson were all a -2 tonight, so OBVIOUSLY playing them and sitting the rookies didn't do jack ***** but make us lose.

8 minutes ago, grinreaper said:

The Sabres are not a 1 line team. We haven't been behind that much in the last 10 games or so. No need to push the offense and sacrifice the defense. 

They absolutely aren't, but at least during this win streak the scoring has been coming ordinarily from the 1st line & the PP w/ the 4th line chipping 1 in every other game.  The 2nd & 3rd lines haven't been scoring at ES.  Been an issue for the 3rd line most of the year & the 2nd line recently.

The bench shortening in the 3td was a reflection of this.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Yes, the team is a work in progress.  We need another solid vet defenseman to play with Power, who played 25 minutes tonight on top of 28 yesterday - he mostly plays with an AHL level partner which might hinder his offensive game.  

Our second line has 2 good looking rookies that can sometimes have some bad matchups on the road, limiting their ice.  Our third line has a few players that are not sound in our defensive zone.  

The team is getting better, but not a veteran team that will win even when they play a bad game. Tonight was a tired and poor effort compared to recent weeks.  

I really like this team. I just didn’t like the way we lost tonight. It’s weird to me to look so tired after a week off. I know back to back, Boston, etc. if there was an opportunity to win 7 in a row with or without working your top line, tonight against Ottawa seemed like the night. 

• Agree 2

And separately, it seemed the near 2 week layoff w/ no ability to drive to the gym nor rink for most of it finally bit them tonight.  (They're pros & take their trade seriously, but expect that huge layoff affected the conditioning slightly & it caught up to them w/ the 3rd game in the 4th night.)

Being back in their normal rhythm should help.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, FanaticSense06 said:

Skinner Tuch and Tage Thompson were all a -2 tonight, so OBVIOUSLY playing them and sitting the rookies didn't do jack ***** but make us lose.

But I would say when you are down a goal the chances of a tie rest with the big line more likely than not. Tage hit that post. That puck goes in we likely play another OT. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

I really like this team. I just didn’t like the way we lost tonight. It’s weird to me to look so tired after a week off. I know back to back, Boston, etc. if there was an opportunity to win 7 in a row with or without working your top line, tonight against Ottawa seemed like the night. 

Ottawa is 6-3-1 in their last 10, we are 7-2-1.    They are just one point behind us although we do have 2 games in hand.  Sure they are a lower tier team in the standings, but they have been not far behind Buffalo.   It sucks to lose within the division, today was a four point game.  

Time to focus on Washington.  A grizzled and veteran team that is 8-1-1 in the last ten.  

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Ottawa is 6-3-1 in their last 10, we are 7-2-1.    They are just one point behind us although we do have 2 games in hand.  Sure they are a lower tier team in the standings, but they have been not far behind Buffalo.   It sucks to lose within the division, today was a four point game.  

Time to focus on Washington.  A grizzled and veteran team that is 8-1-1 in the last ten.  

Boston was a grizzled veteran team too. 

Stop worrying about veteran teams or who's in the division. Just win. That's all Buffalo needs to do, just win. 

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, FanaticSense06 said:

The first line played less than 20 minutes.  They were not overplayed.  Down one goal you play your first line to end the game as much as you can, especially with the #2 goal scorer in the league on it.  Tage hit the bottom of the crossbar or else we get a point and go to OT.  

Playing our first line did not make us lose.   We didn’t convert on the PP and we didn’t have the legs tonight.   Ottawa played better. That is why we lost.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Boston was a grizzled veteran team too. 

Stop worrying about veteran teams or who's in the division. Just win. That's all Buffalo needs to do, just win. 

Sure.  But I’m not gonna cry and blame the coach, like some here, when they lose 1 game in 7, especially on a road back to back.  

This team is still proving it belongs, so yes, just win. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Really  ? 3 times with what over 2mins in there zone ..

When

Ill wait 

He pulled the goalie with a 1:32 left. Ottawa scored at 1:11.

Not sure what you are waiting for.

Edited by SwampD

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

They definitely were a little off tonight...lots of opportunities for good chances with a better pass and they just seemed to always end up in a skate or be just a little too far and made the players reach for it and gave the defense time to get to them...

Still had some really good chances, just didn't bury them.

I'm going to go with them being a little tired from 3 games in 4 nights. Hopefully they have a better outing next game.

It was also the Sens 3rd game in 4 nights, so that’s not much of an excuse. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Maybe switch Quinn or Peterka with Krebs after a while... they can all learn from those two.... hmmm

9 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

Maybe switch Quinn or Peterka with Krebs after a while... they can all learn from those two.... hmmm

Accept that 4th line needs a center if they move Krebs off of it, and don’t call Zemgus a center please.  He is not. 

Too much line switching and no one learns anything.  Everyone wants changes to the lines.  The first and fourth lines are set, why ruin them?   This is the team we have.  We have rookies and one year players all over the place.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.