GDT: 1/1/23—Happy New Year Edition—Sabres @ Senators // 7ET on MSG

#freejame

Tough loss, but a deserved win for Ottawa. They played fast and physical and forced Anderson to make some quality saves. Checking the competition, the Rangers got 2 points and Florida none. Devils got a point against Carolina. But the Kraken are doing their part through two with a 3-1 lead on the Isles. Next up: the red-hot Caps.

• Agree 1

That was about as even of a hockey game as you can get. They did what they do a little better than we did what we do. But really, luck could easily have flipped the result on another night. 

Bit of a rough game for Cozens. Growing pains. 

They did get on Dahlin a lot and it threw him off his game a little. It is what they do and it will always be what more physical teams do. He's going to be a target his whole career. We need to hit back a little more to keep them more honest.

In order to win we have to skate and keep skating and all too often we stopped moving our feet. Tage, for example, when he's going full speed and uses his reach (or shot) he's elite, McDavid level even, but sometimes (like tonight) he stops moving and relies on just his size and reach and his effectiveness falls drastically. 

Right now, 2 even teams, and they came out with a little more desire (off a loss) than we did (off a win). 

• Like (+1) 3

I was driving and listening to the game, man, it sounded quite boring on the radio. Idk if Dan didn't have it, or if the team gave him nothing to get excited over. At least last night he appeared into it over radio.

Woulda been nice to get a point (or 2)against a lesser team, but we seem to do this to ourselves at times. 

Just now, DarthEbriate said:

Tough loss, but a deserved win for Ottawa. They played fast and physical and forced Anderson to make some quality saves. Checking the competition, the Rangers got 2 points and Florida none. Devils got a point against Carolina. But the Kraken are doing their part through two with a 3-1 lead on the Isles. Next up: the red-hot Caps.

And holy crap the Isles have Hudson Fasching playing on their team... who died???

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Why do you think that? Cuz I'm not really sure if that's true.

Ottawa feels closer to us than Detroit but I’d say we eke out being slightly better than both. Detroit for instance has a Larkin contract looming while Ottawa seems solid but prone to collapse. Buffalo arguably has the best 1C and 1D among the 3 as well.

1 minute ago, sabresparaavida said:

The first line all played less than 20 minutes. That’s reasonable for a first line of a team that is down and is trying to win. Dahlin did play a lot, but he was the best looking Sabre out there tonight IMO. 

I disagree, it is not reasonable, there is only 60 minutes in a game and 4 lines, 60 / 4 = 15 minutes toi. For some reason the last 3 games Granato has been playing his 1st line 4-5 minutes more then any other line when before that is was much more balanced, like versus Vegas Cozens and Mittelstadt had as much TOI as Tage Thompson and Skinner...

When did we become a 1 line team?

5 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Why do you think that? Cuz I'm not really sure if that's true.

1.  I read the standings, the teams are one point apart.  

2.  We just beat Detroit and lost to Ottawa, Ottawa just beat us and lost to Detroit,  Detroit just beat Ottawa and lost to us.  

I think Buffalo has the most upside because Dahlin and Thompson are better than any players Ottawa and Detroit have.  Plus Buffalo has more skill and speed overall. 

9 minutes ago, Refuting said:

Think what you want but he's far better than what we've had in recent years

Every coach, even respected one's, make mistakes here and there 

Yes.  Some of them, with apostrophes or failures to pluralize verbs.

My comment was specific to Granato.

Edited by Eleven
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I was driving and listening to the game, man, it sounded quite boring on the radio. Idk if Dan didn't have it, or if the team gave him nothing to get excited over. At least last night he appeared into it over radio.

Woulda been nice to get a point (or 2)against a lesser team, but we seem to do this to ourselves at times. 

I think Dan was just a bit tired from 3 games in 4 nights 😛

But seriously, the game had plenty of exciting moments. We did come pretty close to tying it up a few times.

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

1.  I read the standings, the teams are one point apart.  

2.  We just beat Detroit and lost to Ottawa, Ottawa just beat us and lost to Detroit,  Detroit just beat Ottawa and lost to us.  

I think Buffalo has the most upside because Dahlin and Thompson are better than any players Ottawa and Detroit have.  Plus Buffalo has more skill and speed overall. 

Again, I'm just not sure that is true. I really hope it is. I'm just not sure, yet.

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

They looked young again.

We need that guy who is always that guy.

I'm ***** tired of hot and cold young guys.

(Cue Inkman in 3, 2, 1,....)

They are young.  They will be young for the next few years.   You could see from the first period that they were tired.  This team is not going to win every night.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, FanaticSense06 said:

I disagree, it is not reasonable, there is only 60 minutes in a game and 4 lines, 60 / 4 = 15 minutes toi. For some reason the last 3 games Granato has been playing his 1st line 4-5 minutes more then any other line when before that is was much more balanced, like versus Vegas Cozens and Mittelstadt had as much TOI as Tage Thompson and Skinner...

When did we become a 1 line team?

The Sabres are not a 1 line team. We haven't been behind that much in the last 10 games or so. No need to push the offense and sacrifice the defense. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Pimlach said:

They are young.  They will be young for the next few years.   You could see from the first period that they were tired.  This team is not going to win every night.  

Yep. I'm not all that broken up over tonight's loss.

3 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

YA everyone can see they are all tired, yet Granato plays TT, Skinner, Tuch 19 minutes and Quinn and JJ 11-12 minutes...

Should we not be using the fresh legs in a back to back game? Why is he forcing our 1st line onto the ice tired? I hate this crap, its the same crap we did with Eichel.

This is not a 1 line team and I don't want it to be.

Edited by FanaticSense06

8 minutes ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Dan never sound good on radio ime 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.