Sabres on pace to have 9 players with 40+ points this season

matter2003

It would be the most 40+ point players since 2005-06 for the Sabres when they had 11...however the highest point total that year was Afinogenov with 73.  

Sabres have 1 player that should easily exceed 100 points(maybe even 120 points) in Thompson and another in Dahlin that is on pace for 93.

They are also the only team in the NHL with 5 players having 30+ points currently.

This team is going to be a juggernaut within 1-2 years when they add another piece on defense and some better goaltending.  The pipeline of offensive players is deep and they still have super talented players that are playing in the minors 1-2 years out...

It's hard to be patient when you see the young talent performing at such a high level but I have a feeling it will be worth the wait.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It really sucks having one of the best offenses in the league and being 7 points back out of the playoffs. We have an overabundance of draft capital and young prospects, and if even half of those prospects/pick "hit", we won't have room on our roster for them. Hoping GMKA and his analytics team can identify the prospects they don't think are going to work out and move them + a pick for more immediate D help.

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

It really sucks having one of the best offenses in the league and being 7 points back out of the playoffs. We have an overabundance of draft capital and young prospects, and if even half of those prospects/pick "hit", we won't have room on our roster for them. Hoping GMKA and his analytics team can identify the prospects they don't think are going to work out and move them + a pick for more immediate D help.

Based on the interview he gave a few days ago with Duffer and Biron that is unlikely to happen.  He wants to see them grow into figuring that out more with what we have here.

• Like (+1) 2

It is insane to me that a team scoring like we are is on the verge of possibly missing the playoffs. I was just talking with somebody the other day, could you imagine this offense with '99 Hasek? 

It certainly feels like hockey is back in Buffalo, which is awesome. We seem to be teetering on the verge of something. But teetering can go either way if you aren't careful. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:

It really sucks having one of the best offenses in the league and being 7 points back out of the playoffs. We have an overabundance of draft capital and young prospects, and if even half of those prospects/pick "hit", we won't have room on our roster for them. Hoping GMKA and his analytics team can identify the prospects they don't think are going to work out and move them + a pick for more immediate G help.

I agree with everything you said except the bolded part which I fixed.

25 minutes ago, Mango said:

It is insane to me that a team scoring like we are is on the verge of possibly missing the playoffs. I was just talking with somebody the other day, could you imagine this offense with '99 Hasek? 

It certainly feels like hockey is back in Buffalo, which is awesome. We seem to be teetering on the verge of something. But teetering can go either way if you aren't careful. 

Welcome Mango !!

I love Mangos.  Reminds me of my youth when I used to tavel to the Islands and would eat a lot of them.  So much so that I often ended up with Mangoria.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Welcome Mango !!

I love Mangos.  Reminds me of my youth when I used to tavel to the Islands and would eat a lot of them.  So much so that I often ended up with Mangoria.

Thank you my guy!

I have been a long time lurker and regular poster on TBD. My screen name is one of the laziest things I have ever done, a total brain fart and picked my favorite fruit. Ha!

32 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

There's 53 games remaining in the regular season. There is no verge yet.

That is fair. Poor wording. It is wild that there is even a scenario where the highest scoring team in the league misses the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Trying to see if a team that has led the NHL in scoring has ever missed the playoffs(post 1970) but haven't been able to track that down.

It has never happened post 1970.  The last team to lead the NHL in scoring while missing the playoffs were the Chicago Blackhawks in 1947-48.  However, they had a -30 goal differential.  The only team in NHL history to lead the league in scoring while having a + goal differential and missing the playoffs were the 1925-26 Boston Bruins(+7).

Sabres are in rare territory here.

19 hours ago, Happy Days said:

The Sabres currently have 5 players with more points than Jack Eichel.

At this point I think we can with confidence say we know what Eichel is, a very good offensive player, but falling well short of Elite.

-This year he is 43rd in the league in points, 31st in points per game.

-Since the start of the 2020 season, he has missed too many games to even see where he ranks in total points, but in that time he is 57 in the league in points per game.

-his 2 most productive seasons were 18-19 and 19-20. Just taking those seasons (his two best) and he was 16th in points per game. 

-Since his career started he is 25th in the league in points per game.

-Even his impact on Vegas has been marginal. The season before he got there and last year until he played, they won about 69% of their games. Since he started playing even with their very very hot start this year, as of today they are winning about 73% of their games. Not much of a difference in regular season performance.

He is a good player, a very good offensive player. But he is going to be someone that you expect to be about 25th in the league in points, and if he has a great year he will 'top out' in the 6-12th in the league.

Good? yes. Very good? yes. But not likely someone Sabres fans (for the most part) will miss and wish he was still here compared to not making the trade.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I agree with everything you said except the bolded part which I fixed.

I know we need goaltending help, but I'm trying to put myself in Adam's mindset. To date, we really haven't seen Comrie and his struggles came during our stretch with the depleted D, so the book is still out on him once he gets healthy and he's signed through next season. We also have Levi in the wings (but it is silly to rely on a college kid to come in and instantly solve all the goaltending problems). My point is we have some type of term and depth for that position - not quite so with the defense where we have nothing in the pipeline and the lack of depth is killing us. Byrson is a -15 , we need to push him down the depth chart.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, matter2003 said:

It would be the most 40+ point players since 2005-06 for the Sabres when they had 11...however the highest point total that year was Afinogenov with 73.  

Sabres have 1 player that should easily exceed 100 points(maybe even 120 points) in Thompson and another in Dahlin that is on pace for 93.

They are also the only team in the NHL with 5 players having 30+ points currently.

This team is going to be a juggernaut within 1-2 years when they add another piece on defense and some better goaltending.  The pipeline of offensive players is deep and they still have super talented players that are playing in the minors 1-2 years out...

It's hard to be patient when you see the young talent performing at such a high level but I have a feeling it will be worth the wait.

Just don’t tell people that VO and Mitts are included in the list.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Refuting said:

Winning team > guys with lots of points 

More like youngest team in the NHL still finding it's way versus veteran team.

22 minutes ago, Refuting said:

Cool that's another lame record the Sabres can have 

In general, it shows that good offensive teams make the playoffs and have larger margin for error than good defensive teams.

58 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Byrson is a -15 , we need to push him down the depth chart.

I'm curious if you (or anyone else) looked at the period that the D was depleted to see how much of that -15 came during that period.  He was, after all, fighting above his weight class.  If you give Comrie a pass for those games you might have to give Bryson similar consideration.

Even with that historical information though I thought he was our worst defender last night.  In a game where the Sabres didn't allow a goal, he was the only Dman that did not have a positive +/- rating.

Interestingly, the +/- leader of the D corps was Clague at +2

28 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm curious if you (or anyone else) looked at the period that the D was depleted to see how much of that -15 came during that period.  He was, after all, fighting above his weight class.  If you give Comrie a pass for those games you might have to give Bryson similar consideration.

Even with that historical information though I thought he was our worst defender last night.  In a game where the Sabres didn't allow a goal, he was the only Dman that did not have a positive +/- rating.

Interestingly, the +/- leader of the D corps was Clague at +2

During the 8 game losing streak he was -10.  The only non-negative +/- games he had were the first and last games.  +1 versus Carolina to start the losing streak and 0 against Toronto to end it.

Anytime you are asking Bryson to play 20-23+ minutes a game instead of the usual 12-15 minutes(or less) you are asking for trouble.

image.thumb.png.8443c2c54a2cea562cd217a608a2cb04.png

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

At this point I think we can with confidence say we know what Eichel is, a very good offensive player, but falling well short of Elite.

-This year he is 43rd in the league in points, 31st in points per game.

-Since the start of the 2020 season, he has missed too many games to even see where he ranks in total points, but in that time he is 57 in the league in points per game.

-his 2 most productive seasons were 18-19 and 19-20. Just taking those seasons (his two best) and he was 16th in points per game. 

-Since his career started he is 25th in the league in points per game.

He is a good player, a very good offensive player. But he is going to be someone that you expect to be about 25th in the league in points, and if he has a great year he will 'top out' in the 6-12th in the league.

Good? yes. Very good? yes. But not likely someone Sabres fans (for the most part) will miss and wish he was still here compared to not making the trade.

Eichel is arguable the best player on the team currently in first place in the Western Conference. That means more than just stats.

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It was a joke.  Some people here seem to get upset if you mention that VO and Mitts are still contributing despite some defensive struggles.

Some? 

That said both have been better the last 2 games. 

47 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

Eichel is arguable the best player on the team currently in first place in the Western Conference. That means more than just stats.

Who cares? Like honestly why do any of you give 2 shits about Eichel anymore?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.