Tage Thompson is a super star

Buffalonill

49 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

He is ridiculous...the whole line is 

Yeah, for anyone who says Skinner isn't that good... they're wrong.  He's more than just goal scoring though.  He draws penalties, he plays an unorthodox style that befuddles opponents (and sometimes his own coaches, current coach excluded), he gets under opponents skins and in their heads.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Incredible.  It’s like the hockey gods decided we’ve suffered enough and a franchise 1C who is a top-5 NHL player just dropped out of the sky.

BTW, it’s also worth noting that DG has Skinner and Tuch playing like legit star top-line wingers too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Incredible.  It’s like the hockey gods decided we’ve suffered enough and a franchise 1C who is a top-5 NHL player just dropped out of the sky.

BTW, it’s also worth noting that DG has Skinner and Tuch playing like legit star top-line wingers too.

Mitts does appear to be on the upswing but Skinner is still a huge upgrade over Casey.

13 hours ago, Doohickie said:

We haven't had that since Briere/Drury.  Even Jack didn't provide that.

That line is on a pace that far exceeds anything Drury and Briere did as good as they were.

They are nearing LaFontaine, Mogilny, Hawerchuk status but still got a long way to go to get there.

Edited by matter2003

12 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Talking about scoring when you really need it, not just number of goals.

I mean, when you put up 6 points in a game, one or two of them are bound to be at an important time. 😀

Also, when your goaltending is suspect, maybe all 6 can be timely. 

No argument, but in their last game, when it was a tense 2-2 draw in the third, who scored the game winner that loosened up the Yotes and made them pull their goalie?

I will say though that I don't see this Sabres team as necessarily having a specific "go to" guy like Drury and Briere were.  I could see anyone from the top two lines being "that guy", mostly because those two lines work so well as lines.  They can all pass, they can all finish.  You don't see it as much on the bottom two lines but the way Jost and Krebs are working out I think there may be a bump up on bottom six scoring as well.

Edited by Doohickie

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

No argument, but in their last game, when it was a tense 2-2 draw in the third, who scored the game winner that loosened up the Yotes and made them pull their goalie?

I will say though that I don't see this Sabres team as necessarily having a specific "go to" guy like Drury and Briere were.  I could see anyone from the top two lines being "that guy", mostly because those two lines work so well as lines.  They can all pass, they can all finish.  You don't see it as much on the bottom two lines but the way Jost and Krebs are working out I think there may be a bump up on bottom six scoring as well.

Tuch-Thompson-Skinner line is 5th in goals as a line in the NHL

QPC Home Shopping Network Line is 19th as a line in the NHL...

That is pretty freaking good...2 of the top 20 lines in the NHL.

image.thumb.png.fdea9e7638ea2674a6974d1531f3507a.png

Edited by matter2003
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Tuch-Thompson-Skinner line is 5th in goals as a line in the NHL

QVC Home Shopping Network Line is 19th as a line in the NHL...

That is pretty freaking good...2 of the top 20 lines in the NHL.

image.thumb.png.fdea9e7638ea2674a6974d1531f3507a.png

Yo how does Quinn-Cozens-Peterka = QVC 🫤

How about the DJ line Dylan, Jack, Jonathan Jason?  

I still like the legion of zoom (dubbed I believe by Joe Dibiasi 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

So I’m surrounded by leaf fans here in Burlington (half an hour outside Toronto).  
they scoff at me when I say “ Right now, Tage is the best player born in Arizona”. 
Of course they have 60 goals and the heart to fall back on but I believe Tage is having a better season 

they always argue. “ sure but no gm would trade Matthews for Tage straight up” 

I say , a smart GM would.  2 years of Matthews at $11 mill vs $7 mill for 7 years for Tage

what do you think.  Is there anyone who would trade for Matthews right now if the cost was Tage?

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

So I’m surrounded by leaf fans here in Burlington (half an hour outside Toronto).  
they scoff at me when I say “ Right now, Tage is the best player born in Arizona”. 
Of course they have 60 goals and the heart to fall back on but I believe Tage is having a better season 

I say , a smart GM would.  2 years of Matthews at $11 mill vs $7 mill for 7 years for Tage

what do you think.  Is there anyone who would trade for Matthews right now if the cost was Tage?

I don’t want a pedo looking weirdo as the face of the franchise 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Tage leads the NHL in goals/60 minutes over the last 82 games(a full NHL season). Matthews is 2nd. Tage is also a better passer, and the more complete player as he averages 1:05 a night on the PK whereas Matthews doesn't play on the PK at all.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

I’d guess the only rational argument for AM over TT is AM was projected to do what he is doing, and has sustained it.  Tage is pretty new to the superstar label.  The longer it goes on, the more likely it’s sustainable.  But I could see a rational argument against putting a large asset down on that bet.