NHL franchise values: Sabres are 28th

PromoTheRobot

• PromoTheRobot changed the title to NHL franchise values: Sabres are 28th
1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Surprised they're that high on the list given the last 10 years.

It's almost time for a new arena, built outside of the city Buffalo imho.

I dont think they are getting a new Arena and I have no idea why building it outside of the Buffalo city limits would matter/be a good thing. If you built it right in the middle of amherst it might be easier for a few people to get to the game, but not a major impact.

I do agree with you that I'm surprised they are that high.  They are/have been at the bottom on attendence (and I'm sure as a result of that home-game revenue) for a while now.  The Arena is old(er) and not really a good revenue generator compared to other ones around the league, and the team value is probably hurt by the fact that right now Buffalo is likely close to the bottom in terms of getting a shiny/new arena or major renovation to what they have.   And finally, if they aren't the smallest market, they are sure close.

1 hour ago, Scottysabres said:

Why not?

Are there really any other better locations? As a Canadian, I feel the downtown location is best for the convenience not only for me, but it's central location for most Buffalonians. The restaurant options and general atmosphere of the Canalside area add to the whole gameday experience as well. I love everything about it.

People coming in from the Greater Rochester area might be the only ones to benefit from a more suburban location.

Are there any recent examples of stadiums or arenas moving to the suburbs that proved to be a good financial decision? 

Edited by JoeSchmoe

41 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Are there really any other better locations? As a Canadian, I feel the downtown location is best for the convenience not only for me, but it's central location for most Buffalonians. The restaurant options and general atmosphere of the Canalside area add to the whole gameday experience as well. I love everything about it.

People coming in from the Greater Rochester area might be the only ones to benefit from a more suburban location.

Are there any recent examples of stadiums or arenas moving to the suburbs that proved to be a good financial decision? 

How about Niagara Falls, Ontario?

8 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I don't want the downtown arena removed, it can be utilized as the world's first pickle ball arena.

I'd just like to see a new arena out next to the new stadium.

It's bad enough the new stadium is in OP. Are we going to double down on a bad decision?

9 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

No; the team isn't leaving for Canada or Niagara Falls, NY either 

No. Probably not. But wouldn't NF, ON be an interesting location for a giant arena?

10 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I don't want the downtown arena removed, it can be utilized as the world's first pickle ball arena.

I'd just like to see a new arena out next to the new stadium.

This would be a horrendous idea. No one wants to drive out to Orchard Park 41 times a year to watch hockey. 

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

But wouldn't NF, ON be an interesting location for a giant arena?

No. 

30 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You mean seating for 16k with room for another 1-2k in more general admission areas?

General admission, bigger seats, restaurants, other interactive entertainment, maybe a WNY sports historical museum, etc. Arenas are going to change dramatically over the next few years, it would be nice if Western New York got ahead of the curve for once.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

General admission, bigger seats, restaurants, other interactive entertainment, maybe a WNY sports historical museum, etc. Arenas are going to change dramatically over the next few years, it would be nice if Western New York got ahead of the curve for once.

They could build over Perry and South Park to allow room for expanded concourses. Since they are talking about renovating the D&W Terminal on South Park, why not incorporate that into the new arena? People could get on and off trains indoors and go right in. Best thing is they could do that work while games are still being played.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/1/2022 at 9:49 PM, JoeSchmoe said:

Atlanta Braves moved from downtown to location near suburbs and that has worked out great for them. Moved them closer to the fans who are north of Atlanta. That said, makes zero sense to move sabres out of downtown. Bigger question to me is how does buffalo keep Sabres and Bills. I don't think one fortune 500 company is in buffalo anymore. population dropping quickly in whole area. Which would we rather keep? I vote sabres.

16 minutes ago, Xzy89c said:

Atlanta Braves moved from downtown to location near suburbs and that has worked out great for them. Moved them closer to the fans who are north of Atlanta. That said, makes zero sense to move sabres out of downtown. Bigger question to me is how does buffalo keep Sabres and Bills. I don't think one fortune 500 company is in buffalo anymore. population dropping quickly in whole area. Which would we rather keep? I vote sabres.

M&T Bank is a Fortune 500 company, but I get your point.  

This is also why it is so important that the Pegulas maintain ownership. There is no relocation risk for as long as they own the team. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

M&T Bank is a Fortune 500 company, but I get your point.  

This is also why it is so important that the Pegulas maintain ownership. There is no relocation risk for as long as they own the team. 

It's also important to leverage the regional aspect of the team.

Yes, Buffalo is a small market at just over 1 million people. However, Rochester has 1 million in their greater area, and the Hamilton/Niagara area is well over 1 million. Tacking on the Greater Toronto area plus Kitchener-Waterloo, you've got one of the biggest population centers in all of North America within a 2 hour drive away... Likely in excess of 10 million people. 

The issue is attracting the fans that live in the 1-2 hour away radius. It's probably easier to do for football since the games are all on the weekend, and it's more of an event. But, if I'm the Pegulas, I'm going all out on attracting the outer markets for both hockey and football.

39 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

It's also important to leverage the regional aspect of the team.

Yes, Buffalo is a small market at just over 1 million people. However, Rochester has 1 million in their greater area, and the Hamilton/Niagara area is well over 1 million. Tacking on the Greater Toronto area plus Kitchener-Waterloo, you've got one of the biggest population centers in all of North America within a 2 hour drive away... Likely in excess of 10 million people. 

The issue is attracting the fans that live in the 1-2 hour away radius. It's probably easier to do for football since the games are all on the weekend, and it's more of an event. But, if I'm the Pegulas, I'm going all out on attracting the outer markets for both hockey and football.

Hockey relies on fans within one hours drive. With restrictions lessened at the border I'm hoping we get more fans from St. Catherine's inward, especially on weekdays.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.