GDT: Detroit at Buffalo, 10/31/22, 7pm, MSG, WGR, and your mom's favorite illegal streaming option.

Eleven

5 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

At the end of the 2nd period I really was hoping Tage would have fought last night, twice. Has there ever been a double-gordie how hattrick? 6 points is cool and all, but not as cool as the 2xGHHT

Double Gordie?  Genius.

That had to have been the most dominant i have seen this team over the last couple of years. Even though Detroit had the size, Buffalo would just hem them in their own end for minutes at a time. Their goalie looked physically exhausted!!! LOL When he took that inference penalty, i knew he was done like dinner. All i can say is i would like some more of that play please!!!! 

1 minute ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

That had to have been the most dominant i have seen this team over the last couple of years. Even though Detroit had the size, Buffalo would just hem them in their own end for minutes at a time. Their goalie looked physically exhausted!!! LOL When he took that inference penalty, i knew he was done like dinner. All i can say is i would like some more of that play please!!!! 

My personal favorite point was when their goalie personally left the net and iced the puck after Mitts hit the post the 2nd time.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Been a steady optimistic with this for ten years. Was always optimistic about Tage since day 1 despite literally being banned on message boards for holding the contrary opinion. Funny how not bring an emotionally driven ***** comes off as being miserable?

Anyone who stayed awake for the second half of the Packers game has cause for concern, Josh got hit and regressed four years for two periods and it was ugly and concerning. 

Right...a "regression"... in a half. After he just put on a show the prior half.

Have you ever played sports?  Serious question.  I find it hard that you could have at any level and actually be serious.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Right...a "regression"... in a half. After he just put on a show the prior half.

Have you ever played sports?  Serious question.  I find it hard that you could have at any level and actually be serious.

I can’t recommend this feature enough 

DCE75571-F36A-44B6-B039-E042E279D8B8.png

• Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I use that feature but rarely keep people on it permanently; they either get banned or I unignore them once I've decided to take what they post with a grain of salt.

I just don’t have time to read thoughts from people I have no respect for 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

I just don’t have time to read thoughts from people I have no respect for 

With a bit of empathy, something I've been trying to cultivate, I can develop respect for people even when they make that..... challenging.  I don't blame anyone for ignoring people who trigger them, but sometimes the folks who aggravate me do spur good discussion and bring up points I hadn't considered.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Doohickie said:

He blocked the pass.  He played the 2-on-1 perfectly.

Wanted to look back at this, and I still say I would have liked more agression at the blue line from him.

That being said the forwards coming back seemed gassed, but if he stands larking up at the blue line I doubt there is a 2-on-1.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, inkman said:

I can’t recommend this feature enough 

Sometimes I ignore myself. The constant references and altered names....

star-wars-visible-confusion.gif

38 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah but its not just something I noticed tonight, he is a rookie so I understand he backs off.   But would love for him to stand guys up at the blue line more.

Power was getting caught pinching and misplaying the puck early (OTT/FLA), and once he learns how to play the body without drawing an interference penalty, his game will really open up further. But for now, with his reach and skating he can back off and on handle the rushes. This one he broke up beautifully... just deflected the puck the wrong way. There was another 1-on-1 rush a few games back (Alberta somewhere?) where he simply used his reach to nab the puck right away from the opposition's stickhandle. We've gotta give him more time.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

It’s a good use for him. Sad he needs defensive staples just to be a JAG but he has 2 years of development needed still

Krebs isn't a JAG. He's simply a young player who needs to find his role. He's not going to be a top line high scoring forward like he was in junior imo so what he needs to do is develop his defensive game and try to become an effective 2 way player. He may not get there, but it's far too early to give up on him. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

Yeah but its not just something I noticed tonight, he is a rookie so I understand he backs off.   But would love for him to stand guys up at the blue line more.

Not in that case though.  The break was happening.  He needed to get back.

53 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Krebs isn't a JAG. He's simply a young player who needs to find his role. He's not going to be a top line high scoring forward like he was in junior imo so what he needs to do is develop his defensive game and try to become an effective 2 way player. He may not get there, but it's far too early to give up on him. 

Odd, really, that people feel that if Krebs plays the fourth line he's a bust, but admire Asplund for his 2-way ability.  I like the idea of having a shutdown line that can also pot a few goals now and again.  I wonder if it's because Krebs came as part of the Eichel deal so people want/expect more out of him.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Odd, really, that people feel that if Krebs plays the fourth line he's a bust, but admire Asplund for his 2-way ability.  I like the idea of having a shutdown line that can also pot a few goals now and again.  I wonder if it's because Krebs came as part of the Eichel deal so people want/expect more out of him.

I think its because of where he was drafted.  People expect those picks to be top 6 players, even though the ones that make it typically are all over the roster.

Seeing where he was drafted it is easy to project that we got a top 6 forward and top 6 prospect out of that deal.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

He’s a risk player. He doesn’t do things conservatively and out hustle/muscle like Asplund. He outsmarts- except he’s two years away from outsmarting NHL players. Then there’s two trains of thought- he can learn to do that playing 4th line minutes trying to turn him into a player he’s not, or he can learn to dominate further against AHL talent until he gets over the cliff of being a positive impact player. Shoving a square peg through a round hole 8 minutes a night with grinders isn’t how a skill/smarts player develops. That’s what I mean by a JAG, he is one today - his pros don’t outweigh his cons yet. There’s no slight in this assessment yet whether he can get there or not, but that’s what people keep responding to defend him as and getting all childish and school yard bullying with ignore nonsense instead of dealing with a sincere opposing opinion.  I happen to be in the send him to the AHL camp, there’s other JAGs who can take that role for now. Obviously Granato is in this permanent development mode, putting youth development in front of winning. It’s early in the season but when we’re finally in the playoff hunt can he transition to a winning coach or does he not actually know how to be one?  Yet to see it. Either way this was a good game, Detroit looked awful. This is what this team is capable of doing when other defenses don’t get physical with them. The Sabres can’t be taken for granted. I’ll be curious to see how many backup goaltenders we start getting this year versus the previous years. 

5 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Granato is in this permanent development mode, putting youth development in front of winning. It’s early in the season but when we’re finally in the playoff hunt can he transition to a winning coach or does he not actually know how to be one?

That's an interesting question.  I think from Granato's perspective (and he's said this several times), if the team plays the right way, the wins will come.  He often says how little actually coaching he does in games, that the players figure it out themselves, which he takes as a gauge to how he's been coaching them in practices I think... or perhaps he's minimizing the role he does play in-game to put the spotlight on the players' accomplishments.

But when this team is in the playoffs, will be able to "go to the whip" so to speak?  Will he know how to get the something extra out of them?  Or does he think that if he builds the right mindset the players will do that for themselves?

I think when it comes to that point he will.  He preaches stability but he's shown that he can tweak lines and defense pairings to elevate the teams' play.  Okposo's been a fine addition to the top line, but end-of-the-season Okposo might not be nearly as effective there and I would expect Granato to put another winger there, likely Tuch but depending on how the other lines are clicking maybe it will Ollie or Peterka or Cozens or Asplund or Zemgus.  I think when it matters Granato will answer the call.

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

With a bit of empathy, something I've been trying to cultivate, I can develop respect for people even when they make that..... challenging.  I don't blame anyone for ignoring people who trigger them, but sometimes the folks who aggravate me do spur good discussion and bring up points I hadn't considered.

I don’t have any issue with differing opinions. It’s people that speak with absolute certainty that can’t possibly know those things for certain.  Their world is black and white.  The real world is mostly shades of gray.  Talking to those people is about as productive as talking to a cat. 

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That's an interesting question.  I think from Granato's perspective (and he's said this several times), if the team plays the right way, the wins will come.  He often says how little actually coaching he does in games, that the players figure it out themselves, which he takes as a gauge to how he's been coaching them in practices I think... or perhaps he's minimizing the role he does play in-game to put the spotlight on the players' accomplishments.

But when this team is in the playoffs, will be able to "go to the whip" so to speak?  Will he know how to get the something extra out of them?  Or does he think that if he builds the right mindset the players will do that for themselves?

I think when it comes to that point he will.  He preaches stability but he's shown that he can tweak lines and defense pairings to elevate the teams' play.  Okposo's been a fine addition to the top line, but end-of-the-season Okposo might not be nearly as effective there and I would expect Granato to put another winger there, likely Tuch but depending on how the other lines are clicking maybe it will Ollie or Peterka or Cozens or Asplund or Zemgus.  I think when it matters Granato will answer the call.

I wonder if during his dismantling of RKs “system” he realized these guys don’t need a helicopter parent, they need freedom.  They definitely play that way.  Meatballs sounds like he’s still coaching that way.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

It’s people that speak with absolute certainty that can’t possibly know those things for certain.

It's the ***** internet.  You should accustomed to that by now  😄

Just now, inkman said:

I wonder if during his dismantling of RKs “system” he realized these guys don’t need a helicopter parent, they need freedom.  They definitely play that way.  Meatballs sounds like he’s still coaching that way.  

I get the sense he does more than he says he does, and more than the players realize he's doing.  He doesn't allow them to go open loop, he keeps them grounded, even if he won't admit it.

28 minutes ago, inkman said:

Yeah that’s just human nature, you can’t micromanage players of a fluid game.  And the Xs and Os can be filled in by the right assistant coaches.  But there’s nothing I’ve seen him do yet that’s going to get the team to win a 7 game series unless the team completely out matches their opponents.  That’s what I’m looking for as the team is clearly on the path to playoff worthy. 

9 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Sorry but that's a true P.O.S. move. Mean girl in a mean country.

8 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Yuck. Please feel free to leave the fan base, lady.

Hard agree. 

There is also not a Sabres post on Twitter this lady doesn’t comment on. Which is fine, but at least half are in line with the above drivel 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.