Jump to content

Sabres Prospect Challenge September 15-19.


Brawndo
 Share

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Still don't understand the point of not having Power, Quinn & JJP participate?  Instead, use their spots for a bunch of guys who are not Sabres property.  

 

 

Owen Power blowing his knee out in the prospects challenge and missing the Sabres season would go over REALLY WELL.

I think JJ and Quinn not playing tells that the Sabres think they will be on the team this season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Owen Power blowing his knee out in the prospects challenge and missing the Sabres season would go over REALLY WELL.

I think JJ and Quinn not playing tells that the Sabres think they will be on the team this season.

So, using your logic, none of them should also not play in any pre-season games?

 

They have a whopping 12 NHL games between them.  God forbid, they get as much actual game experience in, prior to the season.

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, LabattBlue said:

So, using your logic, none of them should also not play in any pre-season games?

I think the difference is that the Sabres seem to think playing in this tournament will not help prepare them for the coming NHL season any more than playing Cozens or Krebs would: the tournament offers some risk, no reward.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think the difference is that the Sabres seem to think playing in this tournament will not help prepare them for the coming NHL season any more than playing Cozens or Krebs would: the tournament offers some risk, no reward.

Then at the risk of repeating myself, are they going to risk playing them in meaningless preseason games?

 

Just venting as I was hoping to see them play in the games this week. 😞

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Then at the risk of repeating myself, are they going to risk playing them in meaningless preseason games?

 

Just venting as I was hoping to see them play in the games this week. 😞

I would say the preseason games are not meaningless for those 3 players.

Meaning, they need to test themselves against NHL-level players, but not junior level players.

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Then at the risk of repeating myself, are they going to risk playing them in meaningless preseason games?

 

Just venting as I was hoping to see them play in the games this week. 😞

Pre season games will be a better evaluation tool for those three than a rookie tournament. I feel for the fans who want to see the top end guys but they have done very well at the AHL level and Power’s NHL stint was good.

It looks like the Sabres are having auditions to fill out Rochester and Cincinnati, with so many free agents.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Then at the risk of repeating myself, are they going to risk playing them in meaningless preseason games?

 

Just venting as I was hoping to see them play in the games this week. 😞

Preseason games are useful as an evaluation tool and as preparation for the season because they are getting reps with their actual teammates and coaches against NHL level opponents.

This prospect tournament offers neither.

2 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

No Östlund???

He is already playing games for his pro team in Sweden.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Still don't understand the point of not having Power, Quinn & JJP participate?  Instead, use their spots for a bunch of guys who are not Sabres property.  

 

 

Those guys aren’t really prospects anymore. Perhaps they want to see how the real prospects do without having those three to depend on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Those guys aren’t really prospects anymore. Perhaps they want to see how the real prospects do without having those three to depend on.

12 NHL games between them, and they are no longer considered “prospects”?

Fuzzy math?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Still don't understand the point of not having Power, Quinn & JJP participate?  Instead, use their spots for a bunch of guys who are not Sabres property.  

 

 

Because Owen Power doesn’t get anything from a Buffalo Sabres prospects games why risk him to injury? When Owen Power is going to be playing 82 plus hopefully NHL games. The other two Sabres players no idea maybe they have injuries they are recovering from? Again it isn’t that big of a deal in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2022 at 8:04 PM, dudacek said:

So this is less than a week away.

Any word on the roster? I'm going to guess eligibility will be non-NHL ELCs, unsigned picks and a handful of free agents

 

Some possibilities:

Quinn Krebs Peterka

Rosen Savoie Kisakov

Rousek Kulich Weissbach

Pekar Biro Cedarqvist

Bloom Kozak

 

Power Laaksonen

Samuelsson Komorov

Lindgren

 

Suchanek (unsigned Czech keeper expected to be coming)

 

Nadeau is expected to be out due to surgery. Richard and Sardarian are USHL players I expect will be off to college and unavailable. Others in Europe

I will be surprised if Samuelsson and Krebs are there. Power, Quinn, Peterka though, I'm kinda expecting

Was surprised at the prevalence of all-left-shot wingers save Quinn and all-left shot forwards save Quinn + Savoie until I saw Nadeau there at the bottom. Don’t really think it’s relevant team-building wise, just find these sorts of anomalies interesting discussion points. 

^roster looks fun 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

Was surprised at the prevalence of all-left-shot wingers save Quinn and all-left shot forwards save Quinn + Savoie until I saw Nadeau there at the bottom. Don’t really think it’s relevant team-building wise, just find these sorts of anomalies interesting discussion points. 

^roster looks fun 

As a LH shooter I’ve always preferred watching LH players. Not by a wide margin but it just fits my eye better.

The old PP days of Eichel, OK, Risto, Pommer and Reinhart was hard to watch as I wanted a LH option. I don’t want the pendulum to swing too far the other way. TT, Quinn, Savoie and Cozens should have a say in PP roles in the future.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't think there is any reason to put Owen Power out in this tournament. He should be prepping for his NHL season and he has already played at higher levels consistently. Let him focus on Sabres camp and preseason to get ready to roll for a long 82 game season. 

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

Agreed. Plus, didn't he play a *****-ton of hockey last season? No need to shorten this offseason for him, even if only for a week or so.

He played for:

Michigan from 10/8-12/4/2021 (18gms)

WJC Canada from 12/26-12/282021 (2gms)

Michigan from 1/8-1/22/2022 (6gms)

Olympics Canada from 2/10-2/16/2022 (5gms)

Michigan from 2/25-4/7/2022 (9gms)

and Buffalo from 4/12-4/29/2022 (8gms)

That is 4 different teams and 48games

  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He played for:

Michigan from 10/8-12/4/2021 (18gms)

WJC Canada from 12/26-12/282021 (2gms)

Michigan from 1/8-1/22/2022 (6gms)

Olympics Canada from 2/10-2/16/2022 (5gms)

Michigan from 2/25-4/7/2022 (9gms)

and Buffalo from 4/12-4/29/2022 (8gms)

That is 4 different teams and 48games

Doesn't seem like a kid who has trouble focusing or getting excited about hockey, but that is one crazy slog — it includes 2 weeks in China!

I can see how a total focus on being a Sabre this year would be beneficial.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

12 NHL games between them, and they are no longer considered “prospects”?

Fuzzy math?

They are definitely pencilled in to play in the NHL sometime this year. They’ve shown they have the skill to play the pro game. Prospects are juniors, college, or Europeans who have no NHL / AHL experience.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Surprised I haven't seen it mentioned, but Tyson Kozak will be another one to watch. This will be his last season in the WHL. It will be interesting to see his play compare with, say, Rosen (14th), Kisakov (53rd), and Bloom (95th) who went before his own selection at 193rd in the 2021 draft. It's a shame that Nadeau won't be on the ice so we could see a player from the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 7th rounds of the same draft who are under contract.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...