Sabres Prospect Challenge September 15-19.

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

All gung ho and ready to go.... but this is his first game contact.  No matter how good he feels, there's always that first hit.

The first hit is something you have to get out of the way on the first shift.  Be the giver of that hit, not the taker.  Get into the game and forget about the shoulder.  

I do like those two power play units.  Some promising young players in that group of ten, even without Quinn, Peterka, Östlund, ...  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

How tough would it to have been to sit out and watch the guys you are competing against for a job out there playing. Someone has to sit now, that must be a tough blow to that guy. 

Not certain if Bloom will be ready after getting hurt in the first game, so it might be that simple.

Nadeau and Pekar missed the 1st game and are expected to miss the others with injuries.

Chaz Sharpe and Ethan Ritchie sat out game one on D, Decaln McDonnell and Ethan Sproule on O. Believe all were coach's decision.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Holtz is playing for NJ and scored 2 yesterday.  He was taken one pick before Quinn and played last season in the AHL and a few games with NJ as well. 

Each team looks at this tournament differently. I don’t have a problem with Quinn and JJ not playing but it wouldn’t have been blasphemous if they did.

JJP has played in two of these tournaments already, so i don't mind him missing.

As for Quinn, i was surprised to see Holtz on the Devils roster.

9 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Being excited and ready differs from being truly ready. Just because your health is back to good doesn’t mean you’ll immediately pick up where you left off.

I get that, but I think we're all just guessing here. I have no way to know if his shoulder is still an issue or not. He says he's ready willing and able I take his word for it. I'm not going to start making excuses for these guys before they've even come to Sabres camp. That mentality should end. 

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

All gung ho and ready to go.... but this is his first game contact.  No matter how good he feels, there's always that first hit.

As I said to wookie, no excuses. Let's change the mindset. I want warriors who show up every night, every game, every opportunity and play through pain. No more excuses. For anybody. 

25 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

As I said to wookie, no excuses. Let's change the mindset. I want warriors who show up every night, every game, every opportunity and play through pain. No more excuses. For anybody. 

but let's not wreck ourselves during a meaningless challege game, yeah?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I get that, but I think we're all just guessing here. I have no way to know if his shoulder is still an issue or not. He says he's ready willing and able I take his word for it. I'm not going to start making excuses for these guys before they've even come to Sabres camp. That mentality should end. 

These games mean literally nothing man 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Looks like Kulich is playing tonight

Not to make anything of a prospect challenge, but the powerplay unit changes from Thursday tell me:

1) The coaches liked the Weissbach-Savoie-Kisakov line in game 1 and have united them on PP2 in practice.

2) Kulich ready to wire one from the right circle.

3) Kozak to the front of the net/below the goal line, replacing Bloom...  nice. Selfishly, I'm good with him in Portland so I have more reasons to catch Portland/T-Bird games this year and I can track his progress. But... from a franchise standpoint: get the kid in Rochester.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

What Dudacek said is pretty much my take.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Maybe I'm missing the nuance of the above exchange, but did some have a sense Savoie was holding back Thursday?

I didn't see that at all. A bit of rust maybe — kid hadn't played since April — but his hustle and fearlessness were very noticeable.

What he showed against MTL was a rustier player getting back into game speed whose playmaking slowly came on through the game while he did a good deal of harassing most shifts. A lack of consistency can easily be put on his likely recovering stamina. 

Excuses work in individual cases; I’m not going to worry unless we see these types of issues well into the season.

Edited by thewookie1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.