2023 NHL draft rankings

Crusader1969

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I think we are the perfect team to draft michkov -  Our pipeline of forwards is pretty full, we afford to wait few  years on him coming over.

I'm going to keep saying 2 things, at #13, 3 years away is basically a given for every player you draft. 

2nd, if you draft Michkov, that means Savoie or Östlund should be traded. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm going to keep saying 2 things, at #13, 3 years away is basically a given for every player you draft. 

2nd, if you draft Michkov, that means Savoie or Östlund should be traded. 

Out of curiosity,  why Savoie and Östlund? Is it because they may have value in a trade c/w poltapov/kisakov/rosen?

33 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Out of curiosity,  why Savoie and Östlund? Is it because they may have value in a trade c/w poltapov/kisakov/rosen?

I think they have trade value. Kisakov I wouldn't trade because I think it sends a bad message to your other Russian prospects and you need Kisakov right now. Rosen, doesn't have the value and I think his speed is something the other 2 don't possess, making him a bit more unique. Poltapov I view as a different type of player altogether. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Size concerns, as in he thinks we’d have too many small skill guys who’d get pushed off the puck too easily.

I think he’s probably right, but I’d still draft Michkov: draft for talent, trade for roster construction.

Just now, dudacek said:

Size concerns, as in he thinks we’d have too many small skill guys who’d get pushed off the puck too easily.

I think he’s probably right, but I’d still draft Michkov: draft for talent, trade for roster construction.

Exactly. Draft Michkov but then move one of the smaller prospects with value to preferably add a defender.

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Exactly. Draft Michkov but then move one of the smaller prospects with value to preferably add a defender.

Not sure where I am with Benson, but I’d think the same logic applies.

He’s not what we need at all, but if he slips to 13 the value is probably too much to ignore.

Perreault is the same script, although, unlike Benson, there will probably be other guys available at 13 who are as good as he is.

Edited by dudacek

And the above is pretty much part of why I’m leaning towards trading the pick:

There are lots of intriguing players available around 13, who will be great adds to our asset pool. Not sure if any of them make me go “that’s the piece we are missing.”

You’re never beyond the need for adding assets, and you never get stupid about blowing up your pipeline. But we’ve reached the time where roster building takes precedence.

If 13 is the price we have to pay to fill in our missing pieces, pay it.

• Like (+1) 3

32 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Are we trading up in rd 1 to draft Michkov cuz I would be shocked if he lasted past pick 7 or 8?!

I'm not. This was if he falls to 13th. 

If Benson or Mitchkov fell to 13, draft them and trade one of the other smaller prospects 

35 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Are we trading up in rd 1 to draft Michkov cuz I would be shocked if he lasted past pick 7 or 8?!

Gotta think GMKA is talking teams about moving up. I don't think Michkov makes it past Washington.

Edit: assuming the Sabres view his talent as 1st/2nd Overall equivalent.

Edited by steveoath

9 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Gotta think GMKA is talking teams about moving up. I don't think Michkov makes it past Washington.

Edit: assuming the Sabres view his talent as 1st/2nd Overall equivalent.

I feel like the media has kinda hand-waved Michkov as “Russian issues” and has provided very little insight as to what he is as a player and a person.

Before the war,when he was playing against his peers in this draft he was a clear #2, if not a 1B.

We live in a world where even top draft picks take 2 or 3 years to make the jump, so I don’t see why his Russian contract is a huge concern. Russian players are still coming. We just added 2.

Why are scouts saying “he’s going to get someone fired?”

Is he a diva? A puck hog? A talent who got overrated early like Wright but hasn’t progressed?

Is he tied up with the oligarchs?

If he has a good chance to be Nikita Kucherov, there’s no way he shouldn’t be in consideration for the 2nd pick.

What’s the real story on this guy?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I feel like the media has kinda hand-waved Michkov as “Russian issues” and has provided very little insight as to what he is as a player and a person.

Before the war,when he was playing against his peers in this draft he was a clear #2, if not a 1B.

We live in a world where even top draft picks take 2 or 3 years to make the jump, so I don’t see why his Russian contract is a huge concern. Russian players are still coming. We just added 2.

Why are scouts saying “he’s going to get someone fired?”

Is he a diva? A puck hog? A talent who got overrated early like Wright but hasn’t progressed?

Is he tied up with the oligarchs?

If he has a good chance to be Nikita Kucherov, there’s no way he shouldn’t be in consideration for the 2nd pick.

What’s the real story on this guy?

Would be surprised if he falls to 13.  IF he gets past the Caps wouldn't mind seeing them move up slightly to grab him.  (Getting a guy that could be 1st overall were the draft to NOT include Bedard and were geopolitics different is a good thing.)  Wouldn't be willing to trade up ahead of Washington because it'll likely cost too much.

6 hours ago, steveoath said:

I don't think anyone really knows. Interestingly it was mentioned that he will be at the draft and trams are trying to book meetings with him.

And that’s the biggest problem. There are many great players in this draft and the teams with the most holes are picking first. Does a GM of one of these train wrecks have the luxury of selecting a question mark, especially one that is wearing 3 year handcuffs? These GMs not only need to do best for their team, but also themselves. The median tenure of a NHL GM is 4 years. This player didn’t sound that enthused about playing in the NHL (my focus is on my current team…) and isn’t currently meeting with teams. Is the risk really worth it?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.