2023 NHL draft rankings

Crusader1969

49 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

https://theathletic.com/4596610/2023/06/09/golden-knights-defense-lebrun/

Tampa and now Vegas are the blueprints.

unless your 5-10” Dman qbs your power play there is no room for him on the team.

In other words, do what you need to do.  Move up in the draft, use pick 13 or trade down but no matter what draft Simashev!  You want every Dman you put out there 6’3 or taller 

The Knights only have 3 players 6'3" or taller on defense. They have three others at 6'2".

Zach Whitecloud is listed at 6'2" by Elite and I always defer to their sizes. 

Drafting Star Warsy names in the 13 range, plus a couple bonus 2nd/3rd round options:

Sandin Pellikka  "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and it gets everywhere. I especially don't like getting sand in my pellikka." 
Barlow - an Imperial officer
Benson - "I don't know anyone named Ben Son, but Old Ben…is kind of a strange old hermit."
Simashev - an Ithorian in the cantina
Brindley - a gunner in the backseat of a T-47 airspeeder for the Rebellion
But - pod racer. George Lucas plays his name for laughs.
Quentin Musty - bounty hunter
Wood - "What is… something you find on the moon of Endor?"
Stenberg - he was in the Legislative Youth Program. He was not, however, as dreamy as Palo.
Cristall - the alias of a ritzy gambler visiting Canto Bight
Perron - Mon Mothma's husband 
Willander - a stodgy, mustachioed colonel in the Rebellion
Perreault - a Rebel spy carrying valuable information. Once he uploads the data to an R2 unit… it's curtains.
Reinbacher - a helmsman on the Executor (Imperial navy)
Honzek - smuggler, gambler, scum... you'd like him.
Yager - human A-wing pilot, but it's an A-wing with experimental superfast sublight engines.
Hameenaho - a Mon Calamari X-wing pilot
Leonard - boring!
Moore - boring!
Sale - boring! 
Ritchie - The younger kid neighbor on Tatooine who thinks Luke is the bee's knees. Luke is totally annoyed by him and doesn't want anything to do with him. Then, one day Luke is asked by Owen to drive Ritchie into town as a favor for the neighbors. In this 23-minute episode, Luke learns a valuable life lesson that even annoying kid neighbors can turn out to be pretty cool.
Zeb Forsfjall - a Lasat. There aren't many of them left.
Bonk - a boxy droid waddling around saying, "Bonk! Bonk!"

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

If Knights have such a good d with three at 6’2 - imagine Sabres with all 6’3 and above 

That isn't how things work. Also at this stage Buffalo currently has a top 3 that are all 6'3" or taller. Reinbacher or Simashev would be the only 2 defenders I would take at 13 even though I like Wallinder as well. Pellikka is out for me because he replicates things that Power and Dahlin already do and so I would look for a bigger skilled player. I wouldn't draft some of the guys that are shorter on Def in this draft. They aren't dynamic enough to really warrant that until you get later in the draft. There's several 6'3" or taller RHD that we could get in the 2nd or 3rd round though that have 4-6 potential. 

I think we end up with either Simashev or a forward at 13. 

• Like (+1) 3

Simashev seems like he sits at the crossroads of ability, ranking, need and tendencies for Buffalo and IMO is the one individual I could pinpoint as "likely".

But generally, I suspect the Sabres will end up with a forward they have ranked in the top 10 from a group of forwards the consensus has ranked between 8-ish and 20-ish.

28 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Simashev seems like he sits at the crossroads of ability, ranking, need and tendencies for Buffalo and IMO is the one individual I could pinpoint as "likely".

But generally, I suspect the Sabres will end up with a forward they have ranked in the top 10 from a group of forwards the consensus has ranked between 8-ish and 20-ish.

Thee are a lot of unknowns with Simashev, most of the scouting has been done by video. I doubt any GMs, AGMs or head scouts have gone to Russia for any firsthand views.

I like the size and the potential. It sounds like he is already a really good skater so there is a solid foundation in place. The analytics people and video interviews will help determine where he goes.

There are a variety of forwards available at 13, it will be interesting to see who the Sabres take. C, W, high skilled, power, 200’, fast?

49 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That isn't how things work. Also at this stage Buffalo currently has a top 3 that are all 6'3" or taller. Reinbacher or Simashev would be the only 2 defenders I would take at 13 even though I like Wallinder as well. Pellikka is out for me because he replicates things that Power and Dahlin already do and so I would look for a bigger skilled player. I wouldn't draft some of the guys that are shorter on Def in this draft. They aren't dynamic enough to really warrant that until you get later in the draft. There's several 6'3" or taller RHD that we could get in the 2nd or 3rd round though that have 4-6 potential. 

I know, was trying to be funny lol 

All i know is that the Sabres are in Position to put out 6 guys who are 6'2 or taller (Lyubushkin being the one guy who is 6'2) if they get this off season right.

which to me, would be sign Graves and trade for Hanifan and adding Simashev to the prospect pool (that already includes Noivkov and Komarov ) 

55 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Willander has been moving up some lists, he could go earlier than I expect. I wouldn’t take him at 13 either.

I agree on ASP, the Sabres need more Simashev/Reinbacher types. They may not score as much but they take care of the defensive part of the game allowing Dahlin and Power to roam freely.

Assuming KA goes for a D, I think Simashev is the pick if Reinhbacher is not available.  His Russian contract actually works for the Sabres.  Assuming Novikov and Johnson make the Sabres over the next couple of years and we sign (or acquire) a D to partner with Power (or Dahlin) for next season, Simashev would join the organization just as the top 4 D KA acquires contract likely ends or is about to end.  

In fact, our D for 25/26 could look like this

Dahlin Samuelsson

Power Simashev

Johnson Novikov

All that said, Leonard, Moore, and Dvorsky are really special forwards.  If one of them is still available at 13, KA would be hard pressed to not take them and then fill his D pipeline with the 2 2nd rd picks.  I have 10 D with 2nd rd grades plus 1 guy (Dragicevic) with a late 1st rd grade who could still be available at 39.  I like Oliver Bonk, Max Strbak among others.  As I mentioned earlier, I also really like forward Nick Lardis in the 2nd rd.

19 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I know, was trying to be funny lol 

All i know is that the Sabres are in Position to put out 6 guys who are 6'2 or taller (Lyubushkin being the one guy who is 6'2) if they get this off season right.

which to me, would be sign Graves and trade for Hanifan and adding Simashev to the prospect pool (that already includes Noivkov and Komarov ) 

I laughed at your post. If the Gifs worked I would have done something else but they don't. 

37 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

If by miracle Reinbacher, Benson and Simashev are all there at #13 who would people take?

For me Benson is too talented to pass on.

Benson is super talented but fits into the Rosen, Savoie, Östlund and Kisakov group, size wise. I would probably take him but then at least one D at 39 & 45. 
Could trade some of those little guys for 4D types later.

47 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

If by miracle Reinbacher, Benson and Simashev are all there at #13 who would people take?

For me Benson is too talented to pass on.

Respectfully, I hope it is Simashev.  This is where my philosophy may differ from the masses, who might say BPA.  I'd like to see more depth and size in our Defense pipeline and if somebody like Benson grades out .01 higher than Simashev, then I'd rather see GMKA pick the big defender vs. the guy who is .01 higher.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Respectfully, I hope it is Simashev.  This is where my philosophy may differ from the masses, who might say BPA.  I'd like to see more depth and size in our Defense pipeline and if somebody like Benson grades out .01 higher than Simashev, then I'd rather see GMKA pick the big defender vs. the guy who is .01 higher.

Idk how your grading scale works but Benson ranks significantly higher. 

I would like to add the depth pool is weak but it has size. Novikov is 6'4" Komarov is 6'3" and Lindgren is the exception at 6'

Edited by LGR4GM
Found a Benson vid
  • Like (+1) 1

I'm sure many are curious about defense so I will list a bunch of defender, all of which should be available in round 2 or later and all are 6'1" or taller. Personally I really like Sotheran. He is a late June bday and I think if his skating improves (he needs stronger legs) than it will really round out his already decent overall game. He is probably drafted in-between Buffalo's pick at 45 and their next pick way back at 86. I think they would need to get into the low 60s or take him at 45. 

Caden Price, LHD, 6'1"

Oliver Bonk, RHD, 6'2" 

Carter Sotheran, RHD, 6'3"

Maxim Strbak, RHD, 6'1" 

Andrew Gibson, RHD, 6'3" 

Jakub Dvorak, LHD, 6'5" 

Gavin McCarthy, RHD, 6'1" 

Quinton Burns, LHD, 6'1" 

Hoyt Stanley, RHD, 6'2" 

Albert Wikman, LHD, 6'1" 

Rodwin Dionicio, LHD, 6'2" 

Edited by LGR4GM
fxd Dvorak
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm sure many are curious about defense so I will list a bunch of defender, all of which should be available in round 2 or later and all are 6'1" or taller. Personally I really like Sotheran. He is a late June bday and I think if his skating improves (he needs stronger legs) than it will really round out his already decent overall game. He is probably drafted in-between Buffalo's pick at 45 and their next pick way back at 86. I think they would need to get into the low 60s or take him at 45. 

Caden Price, LHD, 6'1"

Oliver Bonk, RHD, 6'2" 

Carter Sotheran, RHD, 6'3"

Maxim Strbak, RHD, 6'1" 

Andrew Gibson, RHD, 6'3" 

Jakub Dvorak, RHD, 6'5" 

Gavin McCarthy, RHD, 6'1" 

Quinton Burns, LHD, 6'1" 

Hoyt Stanley, RHD, 6'2" 

Albert Wikman, LHD, 6'1" 

Rodwin Dionicio, LHD, 6'2" 

Good list. Dvorak is a LHD. You have to think McCarthy being neighbours with Adams Is a big plus for him.

Find a way to draft Musty, McCarthy and trade for Luke Tuch and the local vibes will be off the charts😀

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I’m going to be surprised if the Sabres don’t try for McCarthy.

Think he’s there for us at our pick in the 3rd?

Better be because there is no chance in hell I would take him in the 2nd. Now the Sabres might but I think that would be a mistake. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.