2023 NHL draft rankings

Crusader1969

12 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Maybe he has just been terrible the games I have watched.

Edit: His NHL numbers look solid overall so i will chalk it up to some bad viewing by me.

I would be open to Schneider or Miller but I don’t see a reason for the Rags to move either.

The Rangers have 17 Skaters signed for next season, only have 10 million in cap space and Miller and Alexis Lafrenière needing new deals and Schneider a RFA after next season. There is a strong possibility they will need to move someone. A Top 15 Pick probably moves that process along 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Brawndo said:

According to Evolving Hockey’s Model he would have had the second best defensive metrics amongst defenseman on the team behind Dahlin and the third best offensive metrics behind Dahlin and Power 

Have only seen a handful of Rags games this year, but friends that are Rag fans are really high on Miller.  Pretty much consider him their 2nd best D-man.

Would be all over getting him for a single draft pick.

• Agree 1

Sandin Pellikka with another goal and assist so far today. Wallinder is another solids RHD for the draft. Not flashy but seems to play a solid all around game.

Craig Button compared Sandin Pellikka skill wise to Erik Karrlsson and said “what team wouldn’t want Sandin Pellikka?” And I said “come visit Sabrespace Craig”😁

Edited by Flashsabre

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Sandin Pellikka with another goal and assist so far today. Wallinder is another solids RHD for the draft. Not flashy but seems to play a solid all around game.

Craig Button compared Sandin Pellikka skill wise to Erik Karrlsson and said “what team wouldn’t want Sandin Pellikka?” And I said “come visit Sabrespace Craig”😁

I’ll change my stance to take him at 13 if he is BPA. The Sabres need D, especially RHD, and he is one of those.

I enjoy watching him and think he has great potential.

The problem I have is that he will never reach his ceiling in Buffalo with Dahlin running PP1 and Power running PP2. If these guys sign for 8 years ASP will only play even strength minutes. You would be turning him into Joki.

He is so young that he can round out his game and find a role but I just think he needs to be a PP QB to be effective and he wouldn’t get that chance in Buffalo unless Power’s offensive game doesn’t grow.

2 hours ago, French Collection said:

I’ll change my stance to take him at 13 if he is BPA. The Sabres need D, especially RHD, and he is one of those.

I enjoy watching him and think he has great potential.

The problem I have is that he will never reach his ceiling in Buffalo with Dahlin running PP1 and Power running PP2. If these guys sign for 8 years ASP will only play even strength minutes. You would be turning him into Joki.

He is so young that he can round out his game and find a role but I just think he needs to be a PP QB to be effective and he wouldn’t get that chance in Buffalo unless Power’s offensive game doesn’t grow.

Agree with most of this, but don't understand the bolded.  He won't max out his points in any given season by being the 3rd option at top of the umbrella, but how will that prevent him from being an effective player in the other aspects of the game?

49 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Agree with most of this, but don't understand the bolded.  He won't max out his points in any given season by being the 3rd option at top of the umbrella, but how will that prevent him from being an effective player in the other aspects of the game?

I think his strength is running a PP. Without that he is another Joki, maybe smaller.

If he can round out his skills he could be a 4D.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just doing some afternoon draft reading

looking like both Reinbacher and ASP will both be gone before 13

The decision will be to take Simashev early, on the assumption he won’t be there when you draft again

OR take the top forward at 13 and hope to fill in your defensive prospect pool with your 2nd rounders ??

I took some time today to draft my first "consensus" draft list.  I found 8 solid lists from March and April.

1. Tier by himself - Bedard 

2. Firm next 5 after Bedard - Fantilli, Michkov, Carlsson, Will Smith, & Zach Benson

3. Next 6 - Barlow, Leonard, Moore, Cristall, Reinbacher, Dvorsky  - at least one of these guys will likely be available to us at 13.

4. 13-18 - Sale, Yager, Sandin-Pellikka, Danielson, Heidt, Honzek

5. 19-24 - Perreault, Wood, Gulyaev, Ritchie, Musty (from Hamburg, NY), and Gauthier - last group with very firm 1st rd grades

6. 25-28 - Brindley, Gauthier, Stenberg, Dragicevic, and But - someone from here will fall from the 1st rd

7. 29-31 - Nadeau, Bonk, and Stramel - I'd trade up to get Bonk.

8. 32-34 - Willander, Simashev, Ziemmer - 2 more D to at here, maybe we get lucky and they fall to 39.

9. 35-39 - Perron, Haltunnen, Sawchyn, Lardis, and Molendyk - Molendyk only D in this group at spot 39

10. 40-44 - Dower-Nilsson, Ciernik, Lindstein, Hrabel, and Strbak - Lindstein & Strbak D to look at here for pick 45

11. 45-49 - Brzustewicz, Rehkopf, Allen, Pitre, and Price. - Brzustewucz and Allen another two D of note.

Pick 13 - Ideally Reinbacher falls to us.  Doubtful.  Love Leonard and Moore.  Like Barlow as well.  If somehow the top 12 on my list are all gone at 13, Sale is my current favorite, but Heidt is a pure playmaker worth watching.

Picks 39 & 45 - If we don't get a D at 13, I'd like to take 2 D at 39 and 45.  Lindstein, Willander, Bonk, Simashev, Strbak, and Price should all be on the radar. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

19 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I took some time today to draft my first "consensus" draft list.  I found 8 solid lists from March and April.

1. Tier by himself - Bedard 

2. Firm next 5 after Bedard - Fantilli, Michkov, Carlsson, Will Smith, & Zach Benson

3. Next 6 - Barlow, Leonard, Moore, Cristall, Reinbacher, Dvorsky  - at least one of these guys will likely be available to us at 13.

4. 13-18 - Sale, Yager, Sandin-Pellikka, Danielson, Heidt, Honzek

5. 19-24 - Perreault, Wood, Gulyaev, Ritchie, Musty (from Hamburg, NY), and Gauthier - last group with very firm 1st rd grades

6. 25-28 - Brindley, Gauthier, Stenberg, Dragicevic, and But - someone from here will fall from the 1st rd

7. 29-31 - Nadeau, Bonk, and Stramel - I'd trade up to get Bonk.

8. 32-34 - Willander, Simashev, Ziemmer - 2 more D to at here, maybe we get lucky and they fall to 39.

9. 35-39 - Perron, Haltunnen, Sawchyn, Lardis, and Molendyk - Molendyk only D in this group at spot 39

10. 40-44 - Dower-Nilsson, Ciernik, Lindstein, Hrabel, and Strbak - Lindstein & Strbak D to look at here for pick 45

11. 45-49 - Brzustewicz, Rehkopf, Allen, Pitre, and Price. - Brzustewucz and Allen another two D of note.

Pick 13 - Ideally Reinbacher falls to us.  Doubtful.  Love Leonard and Moore.  Like Barlow as well.  If somehow the top 12 on my list are all gone at 13, Sale is my current favorite, but Heidt is a pure playmaker worth watching.

Picks 39 & 45 - If we don't get a D at 13, I'd like to take 2 D at 39 and 45.  Lindstein, Willander, Bonk, Simashev, Strbak, and Price should all be on the radar. 

To me Musty is the real wildcard for the Sabres. The hometown kid who played in the Jr Sabres system and who is a big, highly skilled winger.

Does adding another potential Tuch draw Adams and the team towards drafting him. I think 13 is too high but do they trade back to later teens early 20s to get him and pick up another pick. He has as much upside as any of the 2nd tier forwards.

I have no knowledge of what they think of him but it is an intriguing storyline.  

The more I watch Sweden the more I like Wallinder’s game. Mobile dman that plays hard in all zones. Would be a great 2nd round pick if there.

19 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

To me Musty is the real wildcard for the Sabres. The hometown kid who played in the Jr Sabres system and who is a big, highly skilled winger.

Does adding another potential Tuch draw Adams and the team towards drafting him. I think 13 is too high but do they trade back to later teens early 20s to get him and pick up another pick. He has as much upside as any of the 2nd tier forwards.

I have no knowledge of what they think of him but it is an intriguing storyline.  

The more I watch Sweden the more I like Wallinder’s game. Mobile dman that plays hard in all zones. Would be a great 2nd round pick if there.

Musty is very interesting.  Biron loves his game and the kid.  I'd have zero problem trading back, getting extra draft capital, and if Musty is their favorite guy using the  later 1st rd pick to take Musty.  If you look at my mock draft I have us trading back from 13 to Nashville at 15.  I then use this extra capital to trade back into the 1st rd from 39 to get Bonk, but I like Willander as well.  Button has him 16th on his latest list.  In the 8 lists I looked at Musty has a grade as high as 15, but most are 20-22. Only Marek at Sportsnet had him outside the 1st rd.  

• Like (+1) 1

Listened to Dan Marr (NHL Central Scouting) interview last night

Im up to 6 guys who I want the Sabres to draft at 13.  Not sure how reasonable it is that a couple of guys will be there at 6

3 Dmen:

Axle Sandin Pellikka - probably would be under utilized as a Sabres as he would be behind Dahlin and Power BUT he can grow as a 3rd pair dman and if needed to move up to top 4 due to injury, he would be a good option. 

David Reinbacher or Dmitri Simashev.    My gut feeling is that ASP and Reinbacher are gone by 13 and using the pick on Simashev might be a tad early

3 Power Forwards - Ryan Leonard (long shot to there at 13), Matthew Wood 6'3 Forward who has already played 1 season in the NCAA.  Didn't have him on my list until I heard Marr speak of him and Central Scouting ranking him 4th on their list of NA Skaters.  Quentin Musty (ranked 14th by Central Scouting) but doing some research after others brining  him up in this thread, would fit pretty well I think

35 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Listened to Dan Marr (NHL Central Scouting) interview last night

Im up to 6 guys who I want the Sabres to draft at 13.  Not sure how reasonable it is that a couple of guys will be there at 6

3 Dmen:

Axle Sandin Pellikka - probably would be under utilized as a Sabres as he would be behind Dahlin and Power BUT he can grow as a 3rd pair dman and if needed to move up to top 4 due to injury, he would be a good option. 

David Reinbacher or Dmitri Simashev.    My gut feeling is that ASP and Reinbacher are gone by 13 and using the pick on Simashev might be a tad early

3 Power Forwards - Ryan Leonard (long shot to there at 13), Matthew Wood 6'3 Forward who has already played 1 season in the NCAA.  Didn't have him on my list until I heard Marr speak of him and Central Scouting ranking him 4th on their list of NA Skaters.  Quentin Musty (ranked 14th by Central Scouting) but doing some research after others brining  him up in this thread, would fit pretty well I think

Those are all guys I like as well. ASP may end up as the best Dman in that group but stylistically I prefer Reinbacher and Simashev. They are more Mule like and seem like a better fit for today even though they may not be ready for 2-3 years. I won’t be upset with ASP, he may be the guy that makes Joki expendable.

I haven’t watched Leonard play but he sounds like a guy the Sabres need. Gritty power forward who goes to the dirty areas.

I have watched Wood play in a few U18 tournaments and I like him a lot. It’s hard to know how he will develop, he could be Alex Tuch or Justin Bailey. I’m leaning more Tuch.

Musty is a good dark horse pick because his body of work was spotty before the New Year (mono I think) and he was really good in 2023. I have watched him play a few times and he doesn’t look dominant yet but he seems ready to take that next step. Sudbury is not a very good team so they get beat down quite a bit. Same team as Quinton Byfield who is another big forward developing slowly.

I mentioned earlier that Buffalo could drop back a few picks to get Simashev,Musty or Wood and gain an asset. I suggest Chicago who pick 20th and have 4 second round picks. 13 for 20 & 44?

There is a player who is currently 19th on my board but who will go higher on draft day who would be a steal for the Sabres on draft day at 13.  What? How can I guy ranked 19th be a steal at 13?  Great question. The answer is that he ranked much to low, but won’t be come draft day.  The player is Gabe Perreault.  The kid broke Matthews USNTDP scoring record this season with 125 pts, including 52 goals in 59 games. These numbers including his 5g 15 pts in 4 U18 games so far.  If this kid is still around at 13 you take him and smile at the way to years of NHL playoffs.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/meet-gabe-perreault-the-nhl-draft-prospect-that-broke-auston-matthews-scoring-record

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

There is a player who is currently 19th on my board but who will go higher on draft day who would be a steal for the Sabres on draft day at 13.  What? How can I guy ranked 19th be a steal at 13?  Great question. The answer is that he ranked much to low, but won’t be come draft day.  The player is Gabe Perreault.  The kid broke Matthews USNTDP scoring record this season with 125 pts, including 52 goals in 59 games. These numbers including his 5g 15 pts in 4 U18 games so far.  If this kid is still around at 13 you take him and smile at the way to years of NHL playoffs.

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/meet-gabe-perreault-the-nhl-draft-prospect-that-broke-auston-matthews-scoring-record

Good surname

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Wood is just another kassian/crouse/ ritchie that will be drafted high because hes big 

Pass

time out.....Crouse would be an excellent addition to the Sabres.  Kassian had a lot of "issues" who knows how he could have turned out.  

and which Ritchie do you mean ? or both?

53 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Wood is just another kassian/crouse/ ritchie that will be drafted high because hes big 

Pass

You’re right in the sense that none of these guys have hit their ceilings. They were projected to be good power forwards.

Wood is not tough like Kassian or Nick Ritchie.

Ritchie has tools, he’s just been labeled lazy. He seems overweight to me. He’s still been able to get into almost 500 games.

Kassian has carved out a decent career after all, even flanking McJesus for a while. 661 games played.

Crouse is interesting, he’s finally developed into a 20 goal man and has improved his totals year over year except for 20/21. He’s what we hope to see from Greenway.

Wood has a hat trick now, he was a point per game player in the NCAA as a 17 year old. That’s pretty impressive, better than doing it vs other 17-19 year olds.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

You’re right in the sense that none of these guys have hit their ceilings. They were projected to be good power forwards.

Wood is not tough like Kassian or Nick Ritchie.

Ritchie has tools, he’s just been labeled lazy. He seems overweight to me. He’s still been able to get into almost 500 games.

Kassian has carved out a decent career after all, even flanking McJesus for a while. 661 games played.

Crouse is interesting, he’s finally developed into a 20 goal man and has improved his totals year over year except for 20/21. He’s what we hope to see from Greenway.

Wood has a hat trick now, he was a point per game player in the NCAA as a 17 year old. That’s pretty impressive, better than doing it vs other 17-19 year olds.

People on the radio said hes slow as a Turtle that to me is red flag buffalo has a run and gun system he wouldn't work.

Greenway has proved that also 

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sabres are never allowed to have another Perrault😛

He is an interesting case. The viewings back up the article. Not big, average skater but exceptional hockey IQ. One thing i worry about is he had an amazing season on that line but when you go back over previous years he didn’t put up dominating numbers. Good numbers but nothing like this year. So is he a product of the line, did he just put it altogether? Him going to BC with the same line mates will make it tough to know. Talented kid for sure but tough to gauge where he ends up at the NHL level.

On 4/21/2023 at 12:31 PM, Taro T said:

Have only seen a handful of Rags games this year, but friends that are Rag fans are really high on Miller.  Pretty much consider him their 2nd best D-man.

Would be all over getting him for a single draft pick.

If Miller was added to our roster, I would be ecstatic. He could be paired with Power, dropping joki to the third pair. An addition such as Miller would have such a cascading positive effect on that unit. Although making the cap numbers work out would be a challenge, I just don't see the Rangers allowing him to leave. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.