2023 NHL draft rankings

Crusader1969

2 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

It will be interesting.  ASP may be the higher rated Dman but Reinbacher or Simashev would be what they need.   

I’m not loving it to be honest.  I like the Muel type for both Dahlin and Power 

I feel the same way. ASP may be the best offensive Dman in the draft but we have a few of those. He is also Bryson sized, which bothers me.

If we had 4 guys like Mule and needed a PP QB then that is a different story.

Axel Sandin Pellikka has a very cool name. This U18 showing is going to give him a Nemec-like boost (not to 2, obviously). Many teams need a top-flight PP and offensive D. He'll go in the top 10 if he continues to go seismic charge at the U18s.

That makes Reinbacher the mini-Jiricek/mini-Seider. Every team could use one of those after the top forwards are gone. He won't be there at 13.

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Axel Sandin Pellikka has a very cool name. This U18 showing is going to give him a Nemec-like boost (not to 2, obviously). Many teams need a top-flight PP and offensive D. He'll go in the top 10 if he continues to go seismic charge at the U18s.

That makes Reinbacher the mini-Jiricek/mini-Seider. Every team could use one of those after the top forwards are gone. He won't be there at 13.

Top defenders will always get picked early, just like quarterbacks. There’s just a premium assigned to their position. Jiricek was injured most the year and still went #6. I’d be shocked if Reinbacher is still on the board for us. Players will get hyped up here on in until the draft. 

11 minutes ago, kas23 said:

11 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Top defenders will always get picked early, just like quarterbacks. There’s just a premium assigned to their position. Jiricek was injured most the year and still went #6. I’d be shocked if Reinbacher is still on the board for us. Players will get hyped up here on in until the draft. 

You then either trade down or take the best fit at 13. , even though you might be taking him a tad high in  Dmitri Simashev

33 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Reinbacher is not playing at the U18 so a few guys behind him may have great tournaments. There is also a chance of recency bias with the scouts at the U18.

I looked at the last 20 or so drafts to see who went 13th.

Some of the best: 

Dustin Brown ‘03

Josh Morrissey ‘13

Nick Suzuki ‘17

Lars Eller ‘07

Drew Stafford ‘04

Alex Semin ‘02

Z.Kassian ‘09

R.Faksa ‘12

J.Vrana ‘14

Some of the worst:

M.Zagrapan ‘05, C.Teubert ‘08, B.Gormley ‘10, J.Zboril ‘15

The last 5 years (some are still prospects or just breaking in):

Ty Dellandrea, Spencer Knight, Seth Jarvis, Matthew Coronato, Frank Nazar

In one writeup a scout called ASP “Mini Makar” even though both of them are listed at 5’11😀

If the Sabres stay at 13 and Reinbacher and ASP are gone then a couple talented forwards will have fallen to them.

Im not saying at 13 but I wouldn’t be surprised if the Sabres look into finding a way to draft the local boy Musty. The kid is a very talented winger who really came on after a coaching change in Sudbury. Most rankings have him in the 20s.

4 hours ago, French Collection said:

I feel the same way. ASP may be the best offensive Dman in the draft but we have a few of those. He is also Bryson sized, which bothers me.

If we had 4 guys like Mule and needed a PP QB then that is a different story.

No he isn't. Pellikka is taller and heavier than Bryson.

Why say this without taking the 2 seconds needed to verify?

Bryson 5'9" 179lbs

Pellikka 5'11" 181lbs

Edited by LGR4GM

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

You then either trade down or take the best fit at 13. , even though you might be taking him a tad high in  Dmitri Simashev

In the NFL, you trade down because 2nd and 3rd rounders will be starters within 2 years. In the NHL, you keep your first rounder because everyone else's percentages of playing 2 NHL seasons are drastically reduced. Pick the best player on your board at 13, even if it's a forward.*

Always tell me the odds!

*Caveat: the draft board this year needs to be loaded with defensemen.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

My source was HockeyDB where he is listed as 5’9  170.

My apology then, I don't often use Hockey DB because of elite prospects. I'm clearly in need of a break. 

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

13th for K’Andre Miller, do you make the move? 

Yes

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

My apology then, I don't often use Hockey DB because of elite prospects. I'm clearly in need of a break. 

Yes

No problem, I see most of the draft sites list him at 5’11” 181. EP has the most info, I like it.

I like HockeyDB when looking up some older stats and who guys played with.

13 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

After watching Miller play this year, I wouldn’t. Gets abused defensively and I don’t think he has a high hockey IQ. I would do it for Schneider though.

According to Evolving Hockey’s Model he would have had the second best defensive metrics amongst defenseman on the team behind Dahlin and the third best offensive metrics behind Dahlin and Power 

21 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

According to Evolving Hockey’s Model he would have had the second best defensive metrics amongst defenseman on the team behind Dahlin and the third best offensive metrics behind Dahlin and Power 

Maybe he has just been terrible the games I have watched.

Edit: His NHL numbers look solid overall so i will chalk it up to some bad viewing by me.

I would be open to Schneider or Miller but I don’t see a reason for the Rags to move either.

Edited by Flashsabre

Quite a bit of talent that will go in the first two rounds of this year’s draft.

I find these all star teams take a while to gel and play as a team. That is a big advantage for the USNDTP, their team is together all year.

Canada’s guys are playing too much like individuals. Part of it is growing up as the best guy on their teams. I suspect an arena full of NHL scouts and executives makes them want to showcase their skills in their last games of the year.

Colby Barlow, a big power forward who scored 46 goals in the OHL this year has not shown me much. Whenever he gets the puck he tries to do it all himself. He’s shown some skill but hasn’t produced.

That is probably the coaches biggest challenge, making these guys park their egos at the door and work as a team for the greater good of all.

28 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Quite a bit of talent that will go in the first two rounds of this year’s draft.

I find these all star teams take a while to gel and play as a team. That is a big advantage for the USNDTP, their team is together all year.

Canada’s guys are playing too much like individuals. Part of it is growing up as the best guy on their teams. I suspect an arena full of NHL scouts and executives makes them want to showcase their skills in their last games of the year.

Colby Barlow, a big power forward who scored 46 goals in the OHL this year has not shown me much. Whenever he gets the puck he tries to do it all himself. He’s shown some skill but hasn’t produced.

That is probably the coaches biggest challenge, making these guys park their egos at the door and work as a team for the greater good of all.

The thing that worries me with Barlow is that he is playing with a full beard. He has fully matured already. How much room to grow/improve does he have left to do.

I always remember my dad telling me when he was 15 he played with a guy who was considered the best player in Canada. The guy never had an NHL career. He peaked at 15.  Some guys mature early and don’t improve as they move up levels.

3 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

The thing that worries me with Barlow is that he is playing with a full beard. He has fully matured already. How much room to grow/improve does he have left to do.

I always remember my dad telling me when he was 15 he played with a guy who was considered the best player in Canada. The guy never had an NHL career. He peaked at 15.  Some guys mature early and don’t improve as they move up levels.

That causes a lot of disparity in size at the U16 level where kids get drafted into the CHL.

A recent example is Aaron Ekblad. I watched him a lot as a 16-17 year old. He was physically mature and dominated the OHL. He has had a good NHL career so far but doesn’t look like a #1 overall pick. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.