Forgot about J? (Featuring JJ Peterka )

Crusader1969

8 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Keep seeing these threads about next years line up and these posters act like they forgot about JJ

What does the man have to do in order us to put him in the same breathe as Quinn and put him in pen in 22/23 

the kid is going to be a star. 

Same breath as Quinn?  Quinn has been 50% more productive.

I get it, he has been very good in the AHL, but he is a 20 year old in his first NA season.  I’m sure he will get NHL time next season, but he doesn’t need to be gifted a spot.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Curt said:

I get it, he has been very good in the AHL, but he is a 20 year old in his first NA season.  I’m sure he will get NHL time next season, but he doesn’t need to be gifted a spot.

Gifted?? The kid is 10th in AHL scoring.  He carried the Amerks on his back when the team was devastated by injuries.    Last night when the team was desperate for a win, it was JJ making unbelievable skilled plays to get the team going 

5 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Gifted?? The kid is 10th in AHL scoring.  He carried the Amerks on his back when the team was devastated by injuries.    Last night when the team was desperate for a win, it was JJ making unbelievable skilled plays to get the team going 

I mean, if you want grab ahold of one word that I used in a common phrase and consternate over that, then go ahead.

Like I said:

13 minutes ago, Curt said:

I’m guessing that when the Sabres feel that it’s best for both JJ and the team for him to be in the NHL, he will be.  Maybe that’s opening game of 2022-23, but maybe it’s not.

I get that you feel extremely confident that he should be in the NHL, but lots of players do things in the AHL that they can’t do in the NHL.

I’m very excited about what I’ve heard from our Roch fans.  JJ numbers really are pretty unbelievable, especially considering it’s his first year in NA as has been pointed out.  Will be fun watching the development of so many of these young guys and I have JJ near the top of that list. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I think his point is that JJ is being overlooked in part because of how good Quinn is.

I crunched the numbers elsewhere on here a week or two ago, JJ is having one of the best D2 seasons in Sabres/Amerks history. He’s ahead of Ennis and Vanek, players who went on to put up nearly 50 points in the NHL the following year.

Statistically speaking, it would be shocking if he’s not in the NHL next year. Guys don’t produce the way he is at his age and not make the step. Like, it literally has never happened in the past 25 years.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Yeah but Quinn doesn’t rhyme with Dre 

37 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think his point is that JJ is being overlooked in part because of how good Quinn is.

I crunched the numbers elsewhere on here a week or two ago, JJ is having one of the best D2 seasons in Sabres/Amerks history. He’s ahead of Ennis and Vanek, players who went on to put up nearly 50 points in the NHL the following year.

Statistically speaking, it would be shocking if he’s not in the NHL next year. Guys don’t produce the way he is at his age and not make the step. Like, it literally has never happened in the past 25 years.

Exactly.  Most posts that predict the Sabres 22/23 lineup includes Quinn (which they should) but don’t have JJ.  Or say JJ to start in AHL.  

let’s start to give the kid his due. He needs to be in the Sabres top 9 next year.  He is that good 

Skinner Thompson Tuch

Quinn Cozens Krebs

JJ Mitts Olofsson

Girgs  Asplund Okposo

Vinny will be 13th forward if he returns 

Edited by Crusader1969
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Peterka is very good and we should be excited. 

People came away from that draft angry because of the Quinn pick instead of Rossi.

They only had 5 selections but right now coming away with Quinn and Peterka is looking like a major coup.

Edited by Flashsabre

For those who have watched him play is he ready to play an NHL two-way game? Most of the reports about him indicate that offensively he is ready to play in this league. Is he ready to play in the NHL without being a deficit when he is defending his zone? 

13 minutes ago, JohnC said:

For those who have watched him play is he ready to play an NHL two-way game? Most of the reports about him indicate that offensively he is ready to play in this league. Is he ready to play in the NHL without being a deficit when he is defending his zone? 

No, but not many rookies are at his age.

I think it can be coached into him and I see it more as a lack of focus or attention on the defensive side. 

He prefers to let the defense play defense while he anticipates fast strike offense.

It leads to alot of fun to watch offensive hockey and an occasional frustrating shift in the defensive end. 

Meatballs will require his buy in to the team defensive game and his teammates will not let him cheat as much in the NHL imo. 

I don't think they will try to completely stutter his offensive instincts because that's what makes him special.

• Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Norcal said:

No, but not many rookies are at his age.

I think it can be coached into him and I see it more as a lack of focus or attention on the defensive side. 

He prefers to let the defense play defense while he anticipates fast strike offense.

It leads to alot of fun to watch offensive hockey and an occasional frustrating shift in the defensive end. 

Meatballs will require his buy in to the team defensive game and his teammates will not let him cheat as much in the NHL imo. 

I don't think they will try to completely stutter his offensive instincts because that's what makes him special.

Thank you for the JJ response. Let me add a follow up question. It's been widely reported about Quinn's offensive prowess. How is his defensive game? 

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Thank you for the JJ response. Let me add a follow up question. It's been widely reported about Quinn's offensive prowess. How is his defensive game? 

Effort is not his problem but maybe consistency? 

He's already shown alot of grit and effort along the walls and on the backcheck and he'll get better as he gets stronger imo

Disclaimer: opinions may differ from mine

• Thanks (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Effort is not his problem but maybe consistency? 

He's already shown alot of grit and effort along the walls and on the backcheck and he'll get better as he gets stronger imo

Disclaimer: opinions may differ from mine

You don't need to provide a disclaimer. When opinions of Amerk players are solicited you are one of the two or three go to guys. You are a member of the AHL/Amerk wisdom club. That means in that area you are astute and perspicacious. 🍺 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.