Okposo’s Future With the Team?

GASabresIUFAN

KO’s Future with the Sabres.  

38 members have voted

1. 1. How Does KA handle KO going forward

• KA should extend his contract this summer and make him the team Captain.
    • KA should wait and see how next season goes and if KO stays healthy, extend him before the deadline.
    • KA should trade him to a contender at next year’s trade deadline.
    • KA should trade him this summer to get assets to be used to fill greater needs like a goaltender and a veteran RHD.
    • I have no opinion at this time.
    • KA should let him walk when his contract ends.
  2. 2. If you want to extend his deal, what would you offer

• 3 years at $4 mill (or more) per season
    • 1 year at $6 then 2 years at $3 or more
    • 4 more years at $4 mill or more
    • 2 years max at whatever $ he’ll agree to.

KO has one season left on his deal. He will be 34 next year and has become the leader of this young improving team. He has also made Buffalo his home.

DG is using him primarily in a 2 way role, often taking on the opponent’s top line. He has also deployed him as a scoring winger and on the 2nd PP. The Sabres have been rewarded this season with 18g 23a in 64 games.  These are nearly identical number KO posted his 1st season in Buffalo. (65 gp 19g, 26a for 45 pts).  The biggest difference is KO’s 5 on 5 playmaking is significantly higher now with 17a 5 on 5 vs 10 in year 1.

Considering his injury history with the Sabres, he has stayed healthy this season and proven his game is still intact.   

My question therefore is taking into account his injury history, age, current production, role on the ice and in the lockerroom should KA extend his contract this summer, should he wait until closer to the end of next season or is it time to move on when his contract expires?  If you want to re-sign him, what term and $ would you sign him to?

Truthfully, I never thought we’d get to this point.  I liked the signing at the time, but thought it was to long.  I have always liked KO the player and have really grown to like KO the person.  However the concussions lead me to question whether or not KO should retire and that history is still in the back of my mind when I asked the above question.  Gudas’ questionable hit on KO yesterday had me holding my breath.  

Right now I’m in the wait and see camp, but I don’t think I’d object if KA extended KO’s contract this summer.  My guess is he makes KO the team Captain and extends him for at least 3 years. 

If extended I’d approach it like this.  A 1 year deal for $6 mill. Once he turns 35, I’d extend him again for 2 more years @ $3 mill. I’d also include a handshake deal that a job awaits him in the organization upon retirement. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I could see a longer, mid-value contract (I almost picked the 3 x $4M+ option, but I don't have a handle on if that's a decent contract for the production). The injury factor is one thing, but LITR/retirement would "fix" that for the cap (I don't much care what Terry has to pay out). I think his game may translate, since I don't feel like it's based on max speed, but more on smart plays and power, which seems like it'd keep longer than speedy player that isn't any more.

I'm not voting but here's what I would do.

1. Give him the "C" for his final season. Tuch and Zemgus get As. 

2. Don't trade him at the next deadline and let him play out his contract.

3. If he's sniffing 20 goals again you consider resigning him on a 1-year deal at a more reasonable number, however, at that point we'll have a lot of younger draft picks coming up battling for a roster spot, I don't think we'll have room for him. Buffalo is his home now, and if he wants to stay in the organization I can see him moving into a player development role.

4. Give Tuch the "C" in 23-24 and the As to whoever has earned it, Cozens? Tage? Mitts? Dahlin?

5. Win the stanley cup 5 times in a row.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’ve added another option to the Poll.  I’ve added letting him walk when his contract ends.

If he stays healthy I sincerely doubt KA let’s him walk for nothing.  However if he gets hurt, which is a distinct possibility then it could come to pass.

I disagree with this. If he's healthy KA keeps him as Captain to lead the team towards the playoffs, because they should be battling for a playoff spot. If he's not back on the Sabres KO will retire. My takeaway from his interviews is this is where his family lives and where he wants to be. 

6 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

I disagree with this. If he's healthy KA keeps him as Captain to lead the team towards the playoffs, because they should be battling for a playoff spot. If he's not back on the Sabres KO will retire. My takeaway from his interviews is this is where his family lives and where he wants to be. 

You don’t think KA would trade KO to a contender for a chance to win a Cup?  If KO wants the opportunity KA will certainly oblige. 

I'd treat Okposo akin to Anderson

Give him the option over the season if he'd like to go Cup chasing if we aren't close enough to make a playoff appearance ourselves. Regardless I'd tell him that the door is still open on >3.5mil contract for 1 year and again in the further future at lower cap hits. And when he chooses to hang up the skates; he'll have a job either in the Sabres organization or Harbor Center.

Guy is a warrior and a great influence on the younger players. As long as he can give some degree of on-ice production and mentors the young core he has a home with the team.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

You don’t think KA would trade KO to a contender for a chance to win a Cup?  If KO wants the opportunity KA will certainly oblige. 

This comment is a result of a decade + of being the shittiest franchise in the league.

Anyone who makes the playoffs is a contender. KA won't trade KO to a contender because KO is already playing on a team that will be contending for the cup.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mustache of God said:

This comment is a result of a decade + of being the shittiest franchise in the league.

Anyone who makes the playoffs is a contender. KA won't trade KO to a contender because KO is already playing on a team that will be contending for the cup.

That is certainly the hope, but it may not be the reality of next season, especially if KA installs the Tandem of UPL and Anderson in net.  

Don’t forget that if the Sabres are in contention and KO remains a vital piece of the team, it becomes very likely that KA signs him to an extension.  KA won’t want the leader of the rebuilt culture to walk.

However if the Sabres next year fall out of contention, then KA and KO will do what’s best for the franchise and trade KO to a contender.  Nothing precludes KO from returning to the Sabres that off-season if he and KA want him back.  The odds of a Sabres out of contention and letting KO walk for nothing if healthy are about zero. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why do you think this? Nothing in KO’s past suggests he’d consider retirement even after major head injuries.

He's getting old.

He worked his ass off to get his game back and he has but time catches up with everyone. 

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So you think he only has one year of tread left on his tires?

I think... he has a young family, beautiful wife and plenty of money.

He's had some very serious health issues and worked extremely hard to get his game back.

His hard work paid off, he got his game back and he's having fun playing the game again. 

He's got one year left on his contract after this one and the team is improving and could possibly make a run for the playoffs next year.

All that to say. If the team makes the playoffs he could decide he's had enough and ride off into the sunset.

Kenny Roger's said it best in my opinion

Also...no need to run all the tread off those tires, save some for retirement 

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

He is the only Sabre to live in WNY Year Round. Make Him Captain next Season and then offer one year deals as long as He remains productive, with the caveat Kyle has a job with the Organization in some capacity if He desires 

I am surprised that he is the only Sabre on team in Buffalo year round. Maybe I shouldn’t be given the youth on the team.  While I like your concept, I wonder if they make him Captain will he want a longer tenure to see this thing through?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Extend him, but not sure I like the terms in the poll.  I think a 1 year deal at 3-4m max deal is fine, and if healthy, keep going year by year. If everything falls apart next year, move him to a contender - if he wants, or if a contender wants him.  Further, who knows what kind of moves the team makes this offseason.  Ideally, he's a 3rd line player that can contribute on the ice, but more importantly lead the kiddos.  As far as Captaincy... did I miss KA mentioning there will be a Captain next year? I'm not sure they need to give out a "C" just yet.

Edited by Shmuffalo

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I am surprised that he is the only Sabre on team in Buffalo year round. Maybe I shouldn’t be given the youth on the team.  While I like your concept, I wonder if they make him Captain will he want a longer tenure to see this thing through?

Zemgus’s Wife is from Pittsburgh, so they split time between the two locales during the Offseason. 

Maybe, but Adams and Granato have a good enough relationship with Kyle to explain the Captaincy is a reward for His Leadership over the past five seasons and the hell He has gone through with This Organization, but we do need to transition to The Younger Leadership Core for the 2024-25 Season. We can guarantee You The Captaincy for the 2022-23 and 2023-24 Season and see where things are after that.  When You decide to hang up the skates, You have a job in the organization whether it be as a development coach or an Assistant. 

5 hours ago, Brawndo said:

He is the only Sabre to live in WNY Year Round. Make Him Captain next Season and then offer one year deals as long as He remains productive, with the caveat Kyle has a job with the Organization in some capacity if He desires 

The Sabres can’t trade him if he and his family live in Buffalo year round unless he explicitly okayed it. It would have a net negative effect on locker room morale that wouldn’t be worth whatever draft pick was obtained in exchange.

I don’t want to get too Pollyanna-ish but I think KO’s calling is to lead this team and he views that as more noble than getting traded to play for a contender. 

• Like (+1) 1

I have been a big supporter of Okposo but I would not offer anything until we see where we are at next year's trade deadline.  Are we in a race for the playoffs in 2023 as we hope or are we out again?  How are the younger players developing?  What role and needs do we have?  It's impossible to predict next season and why lock into a new contract with a player that many have been counting down the years to get rid of his contract.

He's always been a great person, good leader and speaker.  He will be remembered as a good Sabre.

I guess that I'm hoping Adams is not going to necessarily get caught up in signing players unless they are the best fit for the open role that we have.  2023 he's here on the team, let's wait and see where we are and what we need in a year from now. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.