Devon Levi watch, update: he's returning to college

LGR4GM

11 hours ago, Curt said:

He kind of does, sometimes.  He isn’t just a guy who tweets out charts on Twitter.

He is a credentialed media member.  He sits in the press box.  He knows people in the Sabres organization.

Chad lost all his " Credibility" after his jack debacle  tweet after tweet 

14 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I wonder if the Sabres want Him on an ATO with Rochester and to have His ELC start next year and Levi wants to burn a year on His ELC. 

That would be a kick to Anderson/ Toker to have them sit while Levi plays.

I am not opposed to trying him but KA seems to value the camaraderie and the morale is good. I think Levi needs to spend some time in the AHL to adjust, I hope that is not a deal breaker.

Levi knows he is around Spencer Knight’s level, so maybe he pushes hard and gets a shot.

7 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

He said he was going to the ducks and was wrong .

And his famous tweet keep your phones close for the next 24 hours .

And nothing.

Every tweet about jack was wrong 

I doubt he said “Eichel is being traded to the Ducks”.  He may have said that he thought the Ducks made the most sense or that he thought Eichel would go to the Ducks.

The main issue I see with people getting upset about Chad tweets is that they don’t discern between when he says he was told something, and when he is just giving his own opinions.  

26 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I am not opposed to trying him but KA seems to value the camaraderie and the morale is good. I think Levi needs to spend some time in the AHL to adjust, I hope that is not a deal breaker.

Levi knows he is around Spencer Knight’s level, so maybe he pushes hard and gets a shot.

Levi, Knight, and Wolf I think of as a cohort. 

40 minutes ago, Curt said:

I doubt he said “Eichel is being traded to the Ducks”.  He may have said that he thought the Ducks made the most sense or that he thought Eichel would go to the Ducks.

The main issue I see with people getting upset about Chad tweets is that they don’t discern between when he says he was told something, and when he is just giving his own opinions.  

He put a duck emoji and said keep your phones close for 24 hours .

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The hold up could also be money.  Levi is a 7th rd pick but correctly wants 1st rd  money.  He also may want to go back to college for another year because his team is so young.  Who knows.  He may also want to take a few days to think things over.  

Honestly what more does he need to accomplish? You Honestly could make a disney movie about his season 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I don’t know what to tell you.  I know that emojis on Twitter are pretty much the gold standard of seriousness, but maybe try to interpret that as less than an iron clad declaration.

If you want to dismiss everything he says, you can, but it’s a fact that he has broken stories.

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The hold up could also be money.  Levi is a 7th rd pick but correctly wants 1st rd  money.  He also may want to go back to college for another year because his team is so young.  Who knows.  He may also want to take a few days to think things over.  

I don't know what Levi's intentions are but I'm sure he would want 1st round money. He would be a fool not to expect it. And I'm sure that the Sabres would have no problem giving him first round money because he is a player they targeted in a major deal. And based on his play this year he has more than met their high expectations of him. 

Levi has had a whirlwind year. He was involved in a major trade, had a sterling college year, participated in the Olympics and then without much of a break played in the college tournament. It wouldn't be surprising to want to take a little break (as you noted) to rest and map out the next stage of his hockey career. It's my opinion that he is going to soon sign a pro contract with the Sabres. From a hockey career and financial standpoint it makes a lot of sense.  

• Like (+1) 2

I’ve always stayed out of these discussions about “insiders” but this Chad discussion is exactly the thing people don’t understand. There are people close to people that hear things. Also, believe it or not, teams discuss multiple possibilities. For instance, I was told by someone not far removed from KA that Ullmark was done. It obviously didn’t happen. Why? I have a few theories but I am  not in a position to take Kevin to lunch and verify it, so I guess I lost credibility. Things are fluid. Situations arise and change on a dime. Sometimes people that you trust one hundred percent make assumptions as to where things are heading and end up wrong. I could go on and on, drop a few names and some will post that I’m making it all up, some that know me will defend me and the thread will be hijacked. I hope that doesn’t happen. Just felt the need to defend Chad.

Edited by tom webster
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Honestly what more does he need to accomplish? You Honestly could make a disney movie about his season 

Miller went back after his Hobey Baker winning season.  Power went back after being the 1st overall pick to play with all the other top picks.  It’s not a question of personal accomplishment, the kid may have other goals besides pro hockey

23 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

His last year was all about the camaraderie with his current team.  You know that if the chemistry on a team is good it feels like family.  I've heard that the team is overall very young and improving.  Leaving them now and not giving them a shot at the national title after such a big jump a lot of development would feel like abandoning his family.

It's a business once you sign a contract, but he hasn't joined that business yet and I can see where the team he cares the most about is Northeastern.

6 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

His last year was all about the camaraderie with his current team.  You know that if the chemistry on a team is good it feels like family.  I've heard that the team is overall very young and improving.  Leaving them now and not giving them a shot at the national title after such a big jump a lot of development would feel like abandoning his family.

It's a business once you sign a contract, but he hasn't joined that business yet and I can see where the team he cares the most about is Northeastern.

They weren't even supposed to be good or make it to the tournament what that team did was incredible and that season will never be repeated again 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

9 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Tokarski stole maybe one or two games, but lost a whole lot more on his own accord. He’s a professional and the season is lost, it’s tryouts for the promising time. 

I know there is a considerable warm fuzzy happening right now, but this remains a 23/33 team, 30 points out of a playoff spot and these guys are pros who understand and expect competition for their jobs.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

They weren't even supposed to be good or make it to the tournament what that team did was incredible and that season will never be repeated again 

I'm just saying what I've read.  The team is on the younger side and most of them are returning next year.  To go pro would be to abandon his "family" at this point.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  You're looking at things from the perspective of an impatient Sabres fan.  Try to look at it from Levi's perspective.

29 minutes ago, Curt said:
48 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I don’t know what to tell you.  I know that emojis on Twitter are pretty much the gold standard of seriousness, but maybe try to interpret that as less than an iron clad declaration.

If you want to dismiss everything he says, you can, but it’s a fact that he has broken stories.

I would also add that in a negotiation as complicated as the Jack trade, information (and misinformation) can be leaked to help shape the trade and put pressure on potential partners.  As I recall, Kevin Weekes (an old teammate of Kevyn's) tweeted that a trade for Tkachuck was imminent and then right after that VGK pulled the trigger.  Whether knowingly or not, Weekes was likely a tool used by Adams to push VGK over the line and commit to the deal.

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri

17 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Try to look at it from Levi's perspective.

Looking from Levi's perspective is if I don't go pro, I got to FA one season later, and if I have a career ending injury in college, I'm screwed.

The only caveat is that his family appears to be loaded and money might not be as big of a factor as lifestyle.

And why the heck wouldn't the Sabres splurge the extra couple hundred thousand to give him first round money. I can't believe that is actually a talking point.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I'm just saying what I've read.  The team is on the younger side and most of them are returning next year.  To go pro would be to abandon his "family" at this point.  Maybe.  Maybe not.  You're looking at things from the perspective of an impatient Sabres fan.  Try to look at it from Levi's perspective.

I would also add that in a negotiation as complicated as the Jack trade, information (and misinformation) can be leaked to help shape the trade and put pressure on potential partners.  As I recall, Kevin Weekes (an old teammate of Kevyn's) tweeted that a trade for Tkachuck was imminent and then right after that VGK pulled the trigger.  Whether knowingly or not, Weekes was likely a tool used by Adams to push VGK over the line and commit to the deal.

Well…My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Levi talking to Sabres execs at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious

ferris buellers day off cameron frye GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

It should be pointed out that Levi walked away from his “family” to sit in the press box in China for 3 weeks this year.

25 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

My take is that Weekes was actually used by someone else to get Adams to cave.

If it was Adams, the rumour was clumsy and ill-considered, damaging his rep with other GMs, and crushing it with Treliving and Weekes.

Krebs, Tuch, 1st were done, Adams was haggling for the 4th piece, McCrimmon was getting tired, Jack was at the end of his rope.

The net effect of the clearly false Calgary rumour was to piss off Treliving throw cold water on any talks Adams was having over there.

Leverage gone, Adams accepted a 2nd for a 3rd rather than Brisson, or whatever he was holding out for.

Remember, Jack wanted to go to Vegas.

Edited by dudacek

40 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Miller went back after his Hobey Baker winning season.  Power went back after being the 1st overall pick to play with all the other top picks.  It’s not a question of personal accomplishment, the kid may have other goals besides pro hockey

Power went back for development purposes. There's nothing left for Levi to develop at the ncaa level. 

Power went back as a 19yr old. Levi would be 21yr in December. 

It's not the same.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

He said he was going to the ducks and was wrong .

And his famous tweet keep your phones close for the next 24 hours .

And nothing.

Every tweet about jack was wrong 

To be fair, everything that everyone said about the Eichel trade, on air, in print, or on Twitter, was wrong. 

21 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Power went back for development purposes. There's nothing left for Levi to develop at the ncaa level. 

Power went back as a 19yr old. Levi would be 21yr in December. 

It's not the same.

I think Power went back to win a college championship with the guys he’s been around for awhile. Levi wouldn’t be going back for that reason. NE is not a team full of future NHLers.