Are the Sabres trying to turn Brett Murray into a goon?

inkman

Sample size is small but from November-January.  One fight.  Since being sent down last week, two fights.  Makes you wonder if someone pulled him aside and told him if he is gonna make this roster, he needs to stick up for teammates and be an aggressor.  Discuss.  

18 minutes ago, Curt said:

Very possible that they had that conversation with him when sending him down.

Not that they want him to be a goon, but that they need him to make more of an impact with his physicality and be a team leader in that area.

Yeah I think of Gaustad a bit in this regard.  Paul certainly had his PIMs in juniors and the AHL, which Murray has not, but both guys are similarly sized and their aggression doesn’t seem overt.  Almost forced.  

• Like (+1) 1

I think the role of a pure goon is long dead.  If anything, he’ll develop into a 4th liner who plays with a physical edge and is a willing combatant in fisticuffs when the rare rare occasion calls for it. Sorta like a Matt Martin. But not a goon. That role is long gone.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I think the role of a pure goon is long dead.  If anything, he’ll develop into a 4th liner who plays with a physical edge and is a willing combatant in fisticuffs when the rare rare occasion calls for it. Sorta like a Matt Martin. But not a goon. That role is long gone.

This is a much better role then becoming a goon.  I'm kinda hoping he continues to work on his O so that he can become a guy who can play up the lineup when needed and contribute.  With him, Tuch, Samuelsson, and Thompson, this team could become much more physically imposing.  I also like Dahlin's added feistiness.  

I wish Murray was playing here right now over Bjork and Hayden.  

• Like (+1) 1

Not a goon.  There is no need for that kind of player now.

They are fine tuning his hard nosed play to mold him into something that the Sabres need.  I think he has a chance to be a good 4th line hard nosed guy that can play on any line in any time that the team needs a bit of edge.

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This is a much better role then becoming a goon.  I'm kinda hoping he continues to work on his O so that he can become a guy who can play up the lineup when needed and contribute.  With him, Tuch, Samuelsson, and Thompson, this team could become much more physically imposing.  I also like Dahlin's added feistiness.  

I wish Murray was playing here right now over Bjork and Hayden.  

Bjork needs to play more physically too.  He's not a big guy but if he wants to make this team next year he needs to forecheck with some authority, fight through traffic, get to dirty areas.  I doubt we'll see it so i hope he's an extra skater next year.  

Hayden seems to have really low hockey IQ in the offensive zone, and i truly think he's only playing because he's alright in his own end unlike eakin and bjork.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Sample size is small but from November-January.  One fight.  Since being sent down last week, two fights.  Makes you wonder if someone pulled him aside and told him if he is gonna make this roster, he needs to stick up for teammates and be an aggressor.  Discuss. 

My Amerks-watching has fallen off lately, has his approach during most of the game changed, or has it looked coincidental?

In my view, becoming a perceived threat to hurt people would be a smart thing to do. Murray isn't making the NHL with the game we've seen this year.

To be clear, I'm not talking becoming a goon, I'm talking playing more like a Kyle Clifford/Patrick Maroon.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

My Amerks-watching has fallen off lately, has his approach during most of the game changed, or has it looked coincidental?

In my view, becoming a perceived threat to hurt people would be a smart thing to do. Murray isn't making the NHL with the game we've seen this year.

To be clear, I'm not talking becoming a goon, I'm talking playing more like a Kyle Clifford/Patrick Maroon.

The Big Unit!

Fighting is almost gone but a big guy that can drop the gloves is a deterrent. If the rest of his game is not horrible he could add something. Corner work, net front presence and winning battles on the walls are all good things.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, SyrSabreFan said:

Please put Murray in Bjork's place.

I was thinking more replacing Hayden, but either or is fine.

29 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Bjork needs to play more physically too.  He's not a big guy but if he wants to make this team next year he needs to forecheck with some authority, fight through traffic, get to dirty areas.  I doubt we'll see it so i hope he's an extra skater next year.  

Hayden seems to have really low hockey IQ in the offensive zone, and i truly think he's only playing because he's alright in his own end unlike eakin and bjork.  

The only games Bjork should play for us next season is as a short term injury fill in.  Truthfully he needs to be waived if we can't find a trade partner and sent to Rochester.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

You referenced Martin because he can play and fight.  Make no mistake that Martin is more of a fighter than a player.  He definitely keeps other teams honest about taking liberties.  

13 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

You referenced Martin because he can play and fight.  Make no mistake that Martin is more of a fighter than a player.  He definitely keeps other teams honest about taking liberties.  

Thanks! I’m making no mistake. It’s why I said “sorta”  😂

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

The Big Unit!

Fighting is almost gone but a big guy that can drop the gloves is a deterrent. If the rest of his game is not horrible he could add something. Corner work, net front presence and winning battles on the walls are all good things.

There is only one big unit 

randy johnson bird GIF by FirstAndMonday

For whatever reason, they call Murray “Big Murr”. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

Patrick Magoon 

Stand by this statement I made after his last game and was assigned to the Taxi Squad.

On 1/21/2022 at 2:43 PM, Broken Ankles said:

+1 to this take.  If I was Murray's agent I would be asking him to transform or change his game.  His current game offers nothing but the 4th line on a below average team.  I'm not asking for full Tom Wilson, but more Tom Wilson than what he is today.  That role could ensure a middle six salary for 10 years even if he is only .30 PPG player.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.