Kris Baker: possible Sabre college FA signings

PromoTheRobot

I don't know anything about these guys either, but the future Sabres roster has a lot of "higher-end" talent projected - Power, Dahlin, Krebs, Quinn, Couzens, etc.  You also are going to need solid guys to fill out the 3rd and 4th lines and the 3rd and 4th defensive pairings.  It certainly makes sense to take a shot at some of these guys.  I assume that if they don't work out in the NHL, they might also be good prospects for filling out the AHL roster in Rochester.

51 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Is this just a "who's out there" list, or have there been meaningful conversations going on between the team and these players. If it's the latter... Cool. If not, meh.

Guys that Baker thinks would be good targets. You can’t officially talk to them while they are in college but I’m sure “feelers” are sent out from teams to college FAs during the year.

16 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

That seems like one of those *sling poop at wall and see who clicks* totally made up thoughts. No proof, but why wouldn't KA be looking or any other GM for that matter.

Well, Kris Baker has a long history of covering the Sabres. He might be slinging poop but he might also have some inside info. If it were some jamoke tweeting I wouldn't pay it any mind. Kris has some cred.

• Like (+1) 2

I think Baker has probably heard some chatter around the team.

It would be nice to add a few more talented FAs to Rochester to compete for an NHL future. 

Meyers, Ford and Blankenburg would be at the top if I had a list.

I'd maybe try to sign Mann after the Olympics and stick him in Rochester for the playoffs.

I don't think you can have too many goalies, competition will only make the position stronger imo 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

I think Baker has probably heard some chatter around the team.

It would be nice to add a few more talented FAs to Rochester to compete for an NHL future. 

Meyers, Ford and Blankenburg would be at the top if I had a list.

I'd maybe try to sign Mann after the Olympics and stick him in Rochester for the playoffs.

I don't think you can have too many goalies, competition will only make the position stronger imo 

There is the issue of place to play and practice.

Subban is gone for the season, but there are only 3 nets

• Buf: Anderson/Tokarski
  • Roch: Dell/UPL
  • Cin: Houser

And you’re trying to fit Levi, Portillo and Mann?

Down the stretch I’m giving UPL and Levi most of the starts with Buf and Roch, with Anderson the other Buffalo goalie.

Where would you put Mann, especially if we also sign Portillo?

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Down the stretch I’m giving UPL and Levi most of the starts with Buf and Roch, with Anderson the other Buffalo goalie.

Sounds like a good problem to have, and a significant upgrade from where they have been so far this season. 

Bring in the boys, sign Mann and let the best goalie get the ice he earns. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't think Baker has any inside knowledge outside of knowing the Sabres needs. His just listing players at random that are top college ufas

He could do the same for at least 8 other bottom dwelling teams. He's getting clicks. Not in an unrespectable way. He's doing his job and keeping fans talking. But still making up stuff that's can't be proven false or true.

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

Sounds like a good problem to have, and a significant upgrade from where they have been so far this season. 

Bring in the boys, sign Mann and let the best goalie get the ice he earns. 

How and where are 8 goalies going to earn their ice over 20 games in 3 nets?

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

How and where are 8 goalies going to earn their ice over 20 games in 3 nets?

That depends.

How many are still here?

How many are healthy?

How many are still important pieces of the future? 

The last 20 games aren't as important as the coming seasons imo.

Two of them could backstop Rochester in the playoffs. 

Dell can be waived. 

You sign them because IF you find yourself in another emergency situation some year,  there may possibly be a better talent pool to choose from. 

That is of course, depending on the development of the young talent after all. 

Next couple years, someone will separate and hopefully become a franchise level goaltender. Maybe 2? 

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

Well, it's a bit more convoluted, but one (or more) of those guys COULD be loaned to another franchise's AHL squad.  Kolzig was loaned to the Amerks nearly a lifetime ago & Binnington was loaned elsewhere for a more current example.

That said, though bringing in Mann would be a good thing, don't see it happening.

And would, when all are healthy, have Anderson & UPL in Buffalo, Tokarski on the taxi squad.  Portillo & Levi in Ra-cha-cha (finding a way to at least give Levi & maybe Portillo too a game or 2 in Buffalo after the trade deadline has passed & the Sabres can have every single player in the system in Buffalo because they aren't hitting the cap at pro-rated $750k increments.

Dell sits in Ra-cha-cha in case either Levi or Portillo falter.  And Houser ends up odd man out in Cincy w/ Robson.

With Levi & Portillo coming in, don't see Dell nor Houser back.  (Houser deserves an AHL gig & there won't be room.)  Tokarski probably goes away too, but that presumes another NHL quality guy is around.  IF Adams plan is to run UPL & Levi, Tokarski splits time w/ Portillo.

On 2/4/2022 at 10:05 PM, Taro T said:

Well, it's a bit more convoluted, but one (or more) of those guys COULD be loaned to another franchise's AHL squad.  Kolzig was loaned to the Amerks nearly a lifetime ago & Binnington was loaned elsewhere for a more current example.

That said, though bringing in Mann would be a good thing, don't see it happening.

And would, when all are healthy, have Anderson & UPL in Buffalo, Tokarski on the taxi squad.  Portillo & Levi in Ra-cha-cha (finding a way to at least give Levi & maybe Portillo too a game or 2 in Buffalo after the trade deadline has passed & the Sabres can have every single player in the system in Buffalo because they aren't hitting the cap at pro-rated $750k increments.

Dell sits in Ra-cha-cha in case either Levi or Portillo falter.  And Houser ends up odd man out in Cincy w/ Robson.

With Levi & Portillo coming in, don't see Dell nor Houser back.  (Houser deserves an AHL gig & there won't be room.)  Tokarski probably goes away too, but that presumes another NHL quality guy is around.  IF Adams plan is to run UPL & Levi, Tokarski splits time w/ Portillo.

I’ll be shivering if we head into next season needing the Buffalo starter to arise from Levi, UPL, Portillo and Tokarski. 

We need a proven NHL vet if we are looking to win some games 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I’ll be shivering if we head into next season needing the Buffalo starter to arise from Levi, UPL, Portillo and Tokarski. 

We need a proven NHL vet if we are looking to win some games 

Agree 100%.

That said, after the past 2 off-seasons could very easily see Adams running w/ Levi & UPL next year.  Can't win the lottery if you don't hold a ticket.

Really don't have a good feel for whether next year is another throwaway year, but keep coming back to cynically believing there's a strong likelihood it is - those 3 plums at the top of the draft pool just seem like they could be too dang enticing to get these kids the quality of goaltending they've earned & deserve for next year.  Hoping that's just being too darn cynical or that Levi really is a unicorn, because otherwise, next year'll be another long one.  

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Agree 100%.

That said, after the past 2 off-seasons could very easily see Adams running w/ Levi & UPL next year.  Can't win the lottery if you don't hold a ticket.

Really don't have a good feel for whether next year is another throwaway year, but keep coming back to cynically believing there's a strong likelihood it is - those 3 plums at the top of the draft pool just seem like they could be too dang enticing to get these kids the quality of goaltending they've earned & deserve for next year.  Hoping that's just being too darn cynical or that Levi really is a unicorn, because otherwise, next year'll be another long one.  

I think you need to change your definition of a throw away year

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.