Kris Baker: possible Sabre college FA signings

PromoTheRobot

2 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

The stars will have to align just right for anyone of them to happen. Not saying it won't, but chances are slim. Which means the odds of the Sabres getting a top 64 goalie or a top 4 RHD will mean they pay dearly.

Why so slim?

I didn’t have to go back far to find those trades, they all happened this summer.

Also, a top 25 goalie will be tough, top 64 piece of cake. Anderson signed for minimum wage.

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not to speak for @JohnC and I’m putting things out for illustrative purposes only, but I’d imagine he’s hoping for a cap-motivated trade, something modelled after

• a 2nd and Johnson for Seabrook’s contract
  • a 2nd and Stralman for a 7th
  • Fleury for a C-level prospect
  • Nate Schmidt for a 3rd
  • Shayne Gostisbehere for free
  • Buchnevich for a 2nd and Blais
  • Goodrow for a 7th
  • 2 2nds for picking up Ladd’s contract
  • Leddy for a 2nd

He’s talking getting a goalie in the process, and I don’t know if there is a situation that fits, but it also works for an RHD.

Thank you. I really just wanted a rough idea of players that John was comparing to.

I think for me, only a couple of these players would be what I want on the Sabres so if the caliber is similar this summer, maybe we get 1 guy like Buchnevich if we're lucky. 

4 hours ago, woods-racer said:

The stars will have to align just right for anyone of them to happen. Not saying it won't, but chances are slim. Which means the odds of the Sabres getting a top 64 goalie or a top 4 RHD will mean they pay dearly.

That's what I'm thinking, you need the stars to align and to get some luck.

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not to speak for @JohnC and I’m putting things out for illustrative purposes only, but I’d imagine he’s hoping for a cap-motivated trade, something modelled after

• a 2nd and Johnson for Seabrook’s contract
  • a 2nd and Stralman for a 7th
  • Fleury for a C-level prospect
  • Nate Schmidt for a 3rd
  • Shayne Gostisbehere for free
  • Buchnevich for a 2nd and Blais
  • Goodrow for a 7th
  • 2 2nds for picking up Ladd’s contract
  • Leddy for a 2nd

He’s talking getting a goalie in the process, and I don’t know if there is a situation that fits, but it also works for an RHD.

I can't say for sure if we can add a goalie from the scenario that you put together. But what I am saying is that given our cap situation, reservoir of picks for the next couple of years and teams being forced to make tough roster decisions because of their cap stress there will be opportunities to add a few more good players to the  young players that will soon move up the ranks. I support what KA is doing to reconstruct this roster. But what I am advocating for is to be a little more aggressive this offseason to upgrade the roster and quicken the timetable to become a serious team. The few fans who attend the game deserve it. A half generation of irrelevancy is depleting. 

Speaking of undrafted college free agents, it's about time we started paying attention to our most recent.

I don't have Brandon Biro on my list of prospect list potential NHLers, but maybe I should.

He's got a game that translates to the 4th line and has really stepped up since Sean Malone went down:

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/amerks-brandon-biro-becoming-elite-scorer-one-of-sabres-top-prospects/

• Like (+1) 1

“He can play center, he can play left and right wing. He’s got enough skill to play up your lineup, but he’s good enough defensively and hard enough to be in your bottom six.

If Biro, a free agent the Sabres’ old regime signed in 2020, keeps up his torrid production, he could certainly earn his first recall to Buffalo’s active roster.

Between Hayden, Jankowski and Biro one of them has to fit into a line with Girgs and KO to make it a *high energy line* .

19 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

“He can play center, he can play left and right wing. He’s got enough skill to play up your lineup, but he’s good enough defensively and hard enough to be in your bottom six.

If Biro, a free agent the Sabres’ old regime signed in 2020, keeps up his torrid production, he could certainly earn his first recall to Buffalo’s active roster.

Between Hayden, Jankowski and Biro one of them has to fit into a line with Girgs and KO to make it a *high energy line* .

Has Okposo really been used like that this season?

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

Why so slim?

I didn’t have to go back far to find those trades, they all happened this summer.

Also, a top 25 goalie will be tough, top 64 piece of cake. Anderson signed for minimum wage.

Bold.

1. Because KA will only bring in someone that really wants to be here. No more Stalls or Halls.

2. That player must have the right mentality. They must be as motivated as they are skilled. My take on a KA free agent signing mantra.

3. No top 1-3 draft picks and no top prospects to be given up. KA will hold those close to his vest till he really thinks we are a piece or 2 away from it all.

4. NTC. We are on everyone's list of the no go zone.  If we are not and KA talks with them and they sound apprehensive, see 1..

5. Covid. Till it dies way down and there are no more talks of taxi squads or needing 4 goalies which is months away every GM will stand pat with their assets.

Red.

I view Tokarski and Anderson as 55-85.  For the most part on lower tier team they are the second goalie and for any winning club they are the third goalie. We can find more of them but why? They're here, they're ours and they seem to like it here. We are not prying a 26-54 goalie out from a team and come out as a fair trade. 

We can get lucky. End of covid, salary cap dumps and some creativity could land us a stop gap goalie and a decent RHD. The better they play, the more fun the players have during the second half of the season the *luckier* we will get, because see1..

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Has Okposo really been used like that this season?

No. 

He's been a trooper and a leader, and has been good at every roll he has been given. I think he has played with just about everyone and could almost consider him being on every line at some point this season. 

But that's not a good thing for getting wins and overall team play.

It would be nice to have a third line getting equal TOI as your second line. Have it not only play very sound defensively but generated consistent offensive production. I envision the LOG line with a center with some scoring touch on a good team. 

That would be my ideal usage for Kyle and Zemgus at this stage of their careers.

Edited by woods-racer

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Bump... wonder if we sign anyone in the frozen 4

How does it work with roster numbers? If someone signs an ATO does that still count? I think Sabres are close to the 50 contract limit so outside of Power, Johnson, Levi, Portillo is there space to sign anyone else?

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

How does it work with roster numbers? If someone signs an ATO does that still count? I think Sabres are close to the 50 contract limit so outside of Power, Johnson, Levi, Portillo is there space to sign anyone else?

One of Levi or Portillo isn't getting a deal that starts this year. Pretty sure if it's a contract that starts in the new league year, they'll be fine. 

7 minutes ago, kas23 said:

What do people think about Ben Myers? I haven’t seen him play, but from what I read, sounds like a Mike Peca type. I think we’d be able to give him the roster spot he would require. 

I think if he's smart, he'll sign with Minnesota. They get him cheap for this year and next to help them with their cap issues. 

17 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Meh what stars got signed out of college  Recently?  These guys usually become  Career ahl players .

Not many stars obviously.  Torrey Krug, ERod, dozens of useful NHL players.  It’s not just players to fill out the AHL.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.