Isak Rosen News, Allsvenskan Eligible

LGR4GM

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

The way @JoeSchmoe talks about him "compromise on size" makes him sound like he's 5'-8" or something.  He's almost 6 feet tall, that's not small.  He needs to bulk up, sure, but that's not a "compromise on size."

The Leksands website lists him at 67kg and 178cm. Some people are just naturally slight and don't put weight on effectively.

Again, when picking 13th, pick the scorer thats small or pick the strong power forward that isn't quite an elite scorer. Don't compromise on both.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoeSchmoe said:

The Leksands website lists him at 67kg and 178cm. Some people are just naturally slight and don't put weight on effectively.

Again, when picking 13th, pick the scorer thats small or pick the strong power forward that isn't quite an elite scorer. Don't compromise on both.

He's got elite skating. So they did pick an elite trait, not sure it pans out but it can. 

7 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Elite lists him at what I wrote 

9 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

The way @JoeSchmoe talks about him "compromise on size" makes him sound like he's 5'-8" or something.  He's almost 6 feet tall, that's not small.  He needs to bulk up, sure, but that's not a "compromise on size."

I’ve only watched him play one game. (WJC)

I was surprised that he did not look noticeably small out there; height-wise he looked average, and his gear must have hidden the skinniness. He also did not shy away at all from contact.

Elias Peterson in his draft year was 6’2” 161. He put up 41 in 43 in Allsvensken.

First time comment here, but a topic that's really been bothering me.  Anyone else upset that the Sabres didn't take Jesper Wallstedt instead of Rosen?  I'm cautiously optimistic about our future in goal.  Luukkonen has shown a lot of promise when he's not injured, Levi has been amazing (although it's college), and I'm hearing good things about Portillo.  But why not swing for the fences for someone that many experts thought should have been a top 5 pick.  And Rosen seems like a long shot, at best.

Rosen looked pretty impressive to me (when we drafted him anyway) with some high end skills.  It's great that he's getting more ice time now with Mora.  Hopefully that helps with his confidence and development.  It's really disappointing that we did not get to see a full WJC with him to see how he would play game to game against his peers.  Patience with this pick.

16 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Woohoo!!!! 13:59 TOI in the Tier 2 Swedish league! Start the parade, the cup is coming to Buffalo!!!!!

You’re really going to die on this hill aren’t you.😁 Give the kid a couple years and see where he is at. People’s opinions of Quinn have changed since draft day.

• Like (+1) 4

On 2/3/2022 at 12:31 PM, JoeSchmoe said:

So 5’10” 148lbs?  Sounds like old numbers.  He was reported to be larger around draft time.

4 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Woohoo!!!! 13:59 TOI in the Tier 2 Swedish league! Start the parade, the cup is coming to Buffalo!!!!!

This is an odd post

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

You’re really going to die on this hill aren’t you.😁 Give the kid a couple years and see where he is at. People’s opinions of Quinn have changed since draft day.

Jack Quinn wasn't the problem, the issue was the board at that pick. Quinn had shown very good production in his draft year, the question was was that production a flash in the pan or is that who he was. 

We have the opposite in some ways with Rosen. Just okay production but is that who he is or can added muscle improve that. 

3 hours ago, Curt said:

So 5’10” 148lbs?  Sounds like old numbers.  He was reported to be larger around draft time.

Elite has him listed as 5'11" 157lbs. Rosens problem is he's not strong enough and the Sabres are gambling on 21yr old 180lb Rosen putting all his skills together. 

I'd honestly give him 1 more year in Europe, then get him to Rochester so you can work on his weight. 

On 2/3/2022 at 11:30 AM, dudacek said:

I am considering 2 possibilities for the Rosen pick:

• The Sabres did a ton of work on Rosen and saw him as a Jack Quinn: a highly skilled, self-motivated kid behind some of his peers in terms of his development curve, but with an enormous ceiling and huge potential for growth.
  • The Sabres fell in love with Rosen's explosive U18 tourney in a year where scouting opportunities were slim, and invested heavy on a small sample size when picking him out a large tier of players.

Either way, I'm not going to pass judgement any time soon. He's a long-term project.

How many times is it going to take to teach NHL GM's that drafting guys based on a junior tournament performance is almost always a real bad idea?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sabremike said:

How many times is it going to take to teach NHL GM's that drafting guys based on a junior tournament performance is almost always a real bad idea?

I’m guessing not as long as it will take some fans to learn not to judge a draft choice before he fully develops.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sabremike said:

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

I’m guessing not as long as it will take some fans to learn not to judge a draft choice before he fully develops.

And boom goes the dynamiteAnimated GIF

9 hours ago, tom webster said:

True… But as long as you have fans who like to speak/type before they think… You’ll always get fans judging draft choices with definitive statements, before they fully develop. It’s a … dare I say … pandemic 😂

20 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

The point is I don't want to hear about TOI....it's not tweet or post worthy. If the kid starts scoring good... But let's not celebrate TOI like he did something special.

Rosen needs time. He wasn’t a reach based on the general consensus. Maybe a few picks early or you take a preferred player above him, but he was a mid-first. If he reaches his potential he could be a dynamic machine. But he’s an Olofsson. Undersized at draft time but with skills. What will he become? Hopefully a beloved Sabre. 

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Rosen needs time. He wasn’t a reach based on the general consensus. Maybe a few picks early or you take a preferred player above him, but he was a mid-first. If he reaches his potential he could be a dynamic machine. But he’s an Olofsson. Undersized at draft time but with skills. What will he become? Hopefully a beloved Sabre. 

My only struggle with comparing Rosen to Olofsson is the fact that Victor was a 7th rounder who has developed and achieved some success not typical of most 7th rounders.  Rosen was selected in the mid range 1st round and therefore I have higher expectations of any player selected that high.  It's way too early as most here agree, but I am hoping this pick doesn't end up being another Alex Nylander type situation.  On the other hand, if he develops into the next Alex DeBrincat, then I won't have any complaints.

Edited by Carmel Corn
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1