Isak Rosen News, Allsvenskan Eligible

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

This will be mostly personal opinion as I have no idea the truth behind it but....

Do scouts look at the parents and try to determine future growth of a 17 year old?

I believe the answer is a big YES. They look at the player now and then the parents to get a glimpse of the future body build of their prospect. 

Who here knows the stats on mom and dad? 

Are not Tage and his brother totally different sizes? 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

His father is 6' 198lbs at 47 years old

His uncle is 6'3" 214lbs at 54 years old

If uncle is mom's brother, he's got a big growth spurt coming. Your mother raised quite the gentleman for not sharing a lady's stats. Thank you, my mom is happy with one of us.

1 minute ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Are not Tage and his brother totally different sizes? 

Could be one took after mom and one after dad. I have no idea the family makeup. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Yes, this has been mentioned many times by GMs and scouts. They look at the family to get an idea on both mental and physical makeup.

If a kid is 5’6 and his parents are 5’2 and 5’5 then they have a good idea on growth. If a kid is 5’9 but his dad and brother are 6’2 then there is chance for growth. They look at frame and body types too.

It is not a perfect strategy but I know they do lol at it for indicators.

From a pediatrician’s standpoint, one rule of thumb is to average both parent’s height (the is call mid-parental height) and to add 2 inch for a male and subtract 2 inches for females. Now, of course there’s always exceptions to this, but studies have show kids usually fall within the +/- 1.5 standard deviations of the mid-parental height 90% of the time. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

I know we have a entire thread on the Scott Wheeler piece of Sabres prospects, but here's what he wrote about Rosen:

6. Isak Rosen, LW, 18 (Leksands IF)

Rosen’s a slippery goal-scoring winger who just looks talented in possession. On the attack, he’s a crafty handler who sneaks through traffic to navigate in and out of space in control, drawing attention as he goes. A lot of the tools he hones are also the ones required of smaller players (he’s listed at 5-foot-11 and 157 pounds) in today’s game. He’s inventive. He’s a light, fluid skater who changes directions in an instant and beats defenders off of cuts. And his ability as a marksman really can’t be overstated. His shot is pinpoint accurate (both his one-timer and especially his wrister) and he makes a ton of quick adjustments before he releases the puck to catch goalies and defenders off guard. Though his mentality is to look to attack the slot to score, he’s also got great touch with the puck when play breaks down and he has to improvise or make a play to a linemate. He’s going to have to learn to play a little differently to build towards a scoring role at the next level but with patience and proper development, he’s going to inject skill into an NHL top-nine and threaten on the power play in the long term. I’ve got more coming on him, too, so stay tuned!

Source- the athletic

Edited by Two or less
  • Like (+1) 2

17 hours ago, woods-racer said:

If uncle is mom's brother, he's got a big growth spurt coming. Your mother raised quite the gentleman for not sharing a lady's stats. Thank you, my mom is happy with one of us.

Could be one took after mom and one after dad. I have no idea the family makeup. 

That's his paternal uncle

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

What's strange is we think of Rosen as small and are talking about his height, he's the same height as Peterka 

I think the bottom line is it's likely that he isn't that good, and the size thing is a red herring. All of his stats when playing at the junior level have been underwhelming, except for the U18's. 

Cole Caufield was/is small but has put up huge points at all levels.

3 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I think the bottom line is it's likely that he isn't that good, and the size thing is a red herring. All of his stats when playing at the junior level have been underwhelming, except for the U18's. 

I think the bottom line is you have an unhealthy obsession with a kid drafted a few months ago. His junior numbers were fine. You just seem to want to have Rosen rubber stamped a failure already for some strange reason.

4 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

at14 years old Rosen put up 38pts in 25 games

at 15 he put up 25 in 14games for that same level and then did 7pt in 12 at the u18 equivalent which is pretty good for 15.

at 16, he put up 35pts in 38games at the u20 level

at 17, he put up 12 in 12 at the u20 but really that's a sample size issue as he was carted off to the SHL. 

Considering he hasn't played at the same age level as his peers since forever, idk he seems to be doing okay. Really think it is a case of a physically underdeveloped kid playing at a level he can't yet. Could he bust, sure. Saying "he isn't that good" seems like a reach at this point. 

For the record it isn't about being small but being strong, Caufield at 5'7" and 165lbs would be stronger than Rosen at 5'11" 165lbs in all likelihood. Rosen isn't strong enough, whether or not he will and can correct that deficiency is a different conversation. 

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

What’s the chance of bringing him over to Rochester for next year to have a more hands-on impact in his development?

Low, he has a contract through the 2022/23 season. In 2023, I would 100% bring him over to control his development... by development I mean getting him a personal trainer. 

37 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

at 15 he put up 25 in 14games for that same level and then did 7pt in 12 at the u18 equivalent which is pretty good for 15.

at 17, he put up 12 in 12 at the u20 but really that's a sample size issue as he was carted off to the SHL. 

Considering he hasn't played at the same age level as his peers since forever, idk he seems to be doing okay. Really think it is a case of a physically underdeveloped kid playing at a level he can't yet. Could he bust, sure. Saying "he isn't that good" seems like a reach at this point. 

For the record it isn't about being small but being strong, Caufield at 5'7" and 165lbs would be stronger than Rosen at 5'11" 165lbs in all likelihood. Rosen isn't strong enough, whether or not he will and can correct that deficiency is a different conversation. 

Low, he has a contract through the 2022/23 season. In 2023, I would 100% bring him over to control his development... by development I mean getting him a personal trainer. 

He would be 19 1/2 at the start of the 2022 season this fall. I would consider giving him a stint in the AHL. Get him on a good diet and with strength and conditioning coaches . Waiting till the following year certainly wouldn't hinder him in any way. 

37 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

He would be 19 1/2 at the start of the 2022 season this fall. I would consider giving him a stint in the AHL. Get him on a good diet and with strength and conditioning coaches . Waiting till the following year certainly wouldn't hinder him in any way. 

He is signed for the 2022 season in Sweden

Edited by LGR4GM

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I think the bottom line is you have an unhealthy obsession with a kid drafted a few months ago. His junior numbers were fine. You just seem to want to have Rosen rubber stamped a failure already for some strange reason.

Its more like I'm annoyed with all you guys defending the bad pick for the fleecing we pulled on Philly.

If he turns out to be good, I'll be happy to be wrong. To date, he's looked more like a late rounder, than a 13th overall.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

at 17, he put up 12 in 12 at the u20 but really that's a sample size issue as he was carted off to the SHL

That's a baffle with bull💩 job... I think we can both agree that there are plenty of normal sized kids with numbers as good or better than that.

The team got enamoured with him based on his extremely small sample size at the U18's. In about the same sample size Girgs was almost a ppg to start the season, and has been nowhere near that.

19 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Its more like I'm annoyed with all you guys defending the bad pick for the fleecing we pulled on Philly.

If he turns out to be good, I'll be happy to be wrong. To date, he's looked more like a late rounder, than a 13th overall.

I see where you went wrong. People aren’t defending the pick. They are saying that these players need a couple years development before you can determine where the development curve is heading.

You coming on everyday to say it was an awful pick isn’t convincing anyone that he is. Only time will tell. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

That's a baffle with bull💩 job... I think we can both agree that there are plenty of normal sized kids with numbers as good or better than that.

The team got enamoured with him based on his extremely small sample size at the U18's. In about the same sample size Girgs was almost a ppg to start the season, and has been nowhere near that.

He's 5'11" so he's normal size. 

No one in here is even mentioning his u18s. 

Literally all anyone has said is it is to early to call Rosen a bust and you're in here on crusade like we're all talking about how great he will look on our top line. Kid needs to develop, this year has been bad because he's not shl ready. He's got a lot to prove.

25 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

This is an incomplete nonsense sentence even if you plug in bs.

11 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

I see where you went wrong. People aren’t defending the pick. They are saying that these players need a couple years development before you can determine where the development curve is heading.

You coming on everyday to say it was an awful pick isn’t convincing anyone that he is. Only time will tell. 

Exactly if Rosen is 21 and looks the same, damn, they screwed that pick up.