The Right Side of the Defense: Trade Needed

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, Curt said:

I know that he probably isn’t ever more than a 5, 6, 7, 8th defenseman, but I’ve been pleasantly surprised by Fitzgerald.  He seems to bring a lot of passion and seems like the kind of player who doesn’t mind doing the dirty work.  I hope he sticks around for a while.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

100%

He’s not significantly better than the rest of the depth back there, but he sure is easier to root for.

I’m not sure how many times I wanna see him get walked in an NHL game before I think it’s too many but we are nearing that place.  Casey and Jacob are not NHL defenseman.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’m not sure how many times I wanna see him get walked in an NHL game before I think it’s too many but we are nearing that place.  Casey and Jacob are not NHL defenseman.  

I think you're right.  I feel the same about R2 and Asplund as well.

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think you're right.  I feel the same about R2 and Asplund as well.

I had hope for Asplund.  At his best he’s a decent bottom six forward.  At his current level of play, yikes. R2 might be the very definition of a tweener.  Just not good enough for the NHL but lights up AHL players.  

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

I had hope for Asplund.  At his best he’s a decent bottom six forward.  At his current level of play, yikes. R2 might be the very definition of a tweener.  Just not good enough for the NHL but lights up AHL players.  

The advanced stats with R2 in Eakin's current spot are good, though.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Haven't made up my mind about Fitz yet.

I have about R2. He's not an NHLer.

I haven't given up on Asplund though.

IMHO, Fitzgerald needs to be a #'s victim or a 7. This team needs 2 good vet D-men & w/ everything they've got on the left side plus Jokiharju (all of whom are, or will be better than Fitz).  There just isn't a spot for him when all that they SHOUKD have here next year are healthy.

Same goes for Bryson.  Not sure how he beats out Dahlin, Power, and Samuelsson & Johnson is in the wings.

Had hopes for R2 Rou2 because of that killer hand eye coordination, but expect he's just not skilled enough overall to make up for his size.

Asplund has been a huge disappointment & can't see him finding a top 9 role beyond Christmas next season if the team can finally remain reasonably healthy.

If somebody needing cap space sees value in any of those 4 (& there may be) would not hesitate to use them as part of a package to bring in a pricier vet on a ST deal.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Haven't made up my mind about Fitz yet.

I have about R2. He's not an NHLer.

I haven't given up on Asplund though.

It's a numbers game now.  We've reached critical mass with this current group of kids.  There are too many kids to continue to support developing Asplund.  We need to make room for the next one we think is going to be the ceiling that Asplund never reached.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Weave said:

It's a numbers game now.  We've reached critical mass with this current group of kids.  There are too many kids to continue to support developing Asplund.  We need to make room for the next one we think is going to be the ceiling that Asplund never reached.

The interesting thing is Murray saw the glut of picks & thus prospects that were there & that was a big part of his willingness to overpay slightly to get the guys he wanted.  He had THAT part right.  And on paper he was following the old adage that the team ending up w/ the better player wins the trade.  He just tended to go after flawed players because he couldn't look past what guys could be minus injury troubles &/or personal troubles (including Lehner's issues here though not absolutely fitting the category strictly).

Hopefully Adams can get that part right unlike his predecessor.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

Can you explain how the team can no longer support the development of Asplund?  There should be space in the bottom 6 for him, no?

Not saying that you are wrong to be giving up on him though.  For my liking, doesn’t play hard/angry/pesky enough for a bottom 6er of his skill level.

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

Can you explain how the team can no longer support the development of Asplund?  There should be space in the bottom 6 for him, no?

Not saying that you are wrong to be giving up on him though.  For my liking, doesn’t play hard/angry/pesky enough for a bottom 6er of his skill level.

I keep going back to our vet-to-kid ratio is all wrong.  He might turn into someone’s valuable bottom 6er.  He shouldn’t be ours though.  We need to concentrate on developing difference makers and bring in good vets for the rest so the future difference makers are properly supported.

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The interesting thing is Murray saw the glut of picks & thus prospects that were there & that was a big part of his willingness to overpay slightly to get the guys he wanted.  He had THAT part right.  And on paper he was following the old adage that the team ending up w/ the better player wins the trade.  He just tended to go after flawed players because he couldn't look past what guys could be minus injury troubles &/or personal troubles (including Lehner's issues here though not absolutely fitting the category strictly).

Hopefully Adams can get that part right unlike his predecessor.

Murray was a gambler.  Botts was all about the safe play.  Adams needs to be the best of both.

• Like (+1) 3

I had no problem with what Murray did at all. The problem was the players he brought in. ROR Kane Bogo Lehner all had character issues which led to a fractured dressing room. Identifying and bringing in the right pieces that can play and lead the kids can help accelerate the push forward. But it has to be the right players and you can’t give up your key young pieces to do it.

25 minutes ago, Curt said:

I agree with bottom 3.  He has great Corsi/possession numbers and could be a Larsson addition (LW) with Kyle and Zemgus on the 4th line.  He's shown flashes of brilliance (thinking of his goal in Anaheim in October) but mostly just responsible play with low goal scoring ability which translates into a lower AAV, which is what you want on the 4th anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

I agree with bottom 3.  He has great Corsi/possession numbers and could be a Larsson addition (LW) with Kyle and Zemgus on the 4th line.  He's shown flashes of brilliance (thinking of his goal in Anaheim in October) but mostly just responsible play with low goal scoring ability which translates into a lower AAV, which is what you want on the 4th anyway. 

This is the perfect description of Asplund, He has the best defensive metrics amongst forwards on the team and would be a perfect on a shutdown line with Zemgus. 

• Like (+1) 1

Here are a couple of interesting RHD that would be a good fit for us this summer and would help in the leadership role.  They are also young enough to be here for more then one season.

1) TB's Jan Rutta.  31 and has won a Cup with TB.  Stay at home D who would be an excellent addition.  Why would he come here.  Simply put $ and a chance to play with a Dahlin or Power.  Has only been in the NHL 5 years.  Skates about 17 minutes a night for TB.  Current cap only 1.3.  

2) Washington's Nick Jensen.  He's 31 and has a current cap 2.5 and one year left on his deal.  Could easily be a cap casualty in Washington with 71 mill spent on only 16 players and two RFA goalies.  I'd love to see KA work out a deal to get Vanacek and Jensen from them.

11 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Here are a couple of interesting RHD that would be a good fit for us this summer and would help in the leadership role.  They are also young enough to be here for more then one season.

1) TB's Jan Rutta.  31 and has won a Cup with TB.  Stay at home D who would be an excellent addition.  Why would he come here.  Simply put $ and a chance to play with a Dahlin or Power.  Has only been in the NHL 5 years.  Skates about 17 minutes a night for TB.  Current cap only 1.3.  

2) Washington's Nick Jensen.  He's 31 and has a current cap 2.5 and one year left on his deal.  Could easily be a cap casualty in Washington with 71 mill spent on only 16 players and two RFA goalies.  I'd love to see KA work out a deal to get Vanacek and Jensen from them.

More importantly... Jan Rutta is a Czech born player, just like David Jiricek

On 2/28/2022 at 8:35 PM, Broken Ankles said:

If he can get to Larsson level I’d take it and run. He was exceptional defensively for us 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.