League Hits Pause

GASabresIUFAN

49 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

It's stunning that only one NHL player is unvaccinated. It almost seems like people with something to live for want to live — or at the very least, want to continue to live and be healthy long-term.

Or those that had concerns about the vaccines creating other health issues or had other concerns about getting vaccinated realized what a nightmare it would be to try to be going across an international border regularly while unvaccinated and didn't want to deal with the peer pressure that would come from being unvaccinated and decided that their own personal utility was maximized by getting vaccinated.

Certainly many did it for altruistic reasons & many did it because they believe overall their health will be better having been vaccinated.  But overall wouldn't read more into it than nearly every player decided that he personally would be better off, all things considered, by being vaccinated rather than by not getting vaccinated.

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Why look for cancer when you feel fine? Why not wait until you have a grapefruit-sized tumor?

I was in the same boat but I started thinking about it:  IF Omicron proves to be mild, often symptom-free, to the vaccinated, and IF all the players (Bertuzzi is a jerk on this but whatever) are vaccinated, why not let them play unless they are symptomatic?

I think the biggest IF here is the first one:  How hard does Omicron hit those who are previously vaxed?  Word out of South Africa is somewhat promising, but then again I seem to remember they said early on that a certain gene passed down from Neanderthals (and generally not seen in Africans) is associated with severe illness, so.... I guess the jury is still out.

I think if they're testing 100% currently, they should continue to do so, but what do you do with the data?  Maybe you say, hey, this guy has it but he's not symptomatic and everyone else is vaxed so... play on.  Maybe.  I dunno.

I wouldn’t be taking shots at anyone who choses to not get vaccinated, especially someone under 40, where the risks to the person are very low.  There are legitimate concerns with the vaccine including major heart issues in young men.  People with certain allergies can have life threatening reactions as well.  Everyone’s circumstances are different and we need to not simply have a blanket response to people making their own health decisions.  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/myocarditis.html

Personally, I have had a severe case of Covid, before the vaccine existed, and have since been vaccinated.  I had a terrible reaction both times. Despite that I would encourage people to get the shot,  but I recognize peoples’ right to make their own decision. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Personally, I have had a severe case of Covid, before the vaccine existed, and have since been vaccinated.  I had a terrible reaction both times. Despite that I would encourage people to get the shot,  but I recognize peoples’ right to make their own decision. 

Same here.  I have still not recovered after almost 2 years.  I was about 80% back when I got the shot as a booster -- after which I spent a week bedridden and a month recovering back to 70% or so.  After a few months, I am back to 80-85%.

I do warn people -- long COVID is horrendous.  You really, really, really don't want it.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Same here.  I have still not recovered after almost 2 years.  I was about 80% back when I got the shot as a booster -- after which I spent a week bedridden and a month recovering back to 70% or so.  After a few months, I am back to 80-85%.

I do warn people -- long COVID is horrendous.  You really, really, really don't want it.

I agree wholeheartedly.  I spent six weeks with bilateral pneumonia and was briefly hospitalized where I received no treatment just isolation.  It took over 6 months for my lungs to fully recover. No one wants Covid and they should avoid it and do what they can to minimize their chances of getting it or getting very ill from it.

While I don’t have long Covid, I do feel like I’m more susceptible to illness because of Covid.  I had a bad reaction to the flu shot recently and was very sick with the sinus crud that is going around for two weeks.  

Like I said get the shot to protect yourself, however there are circumstances where they may not be the best decision.

Considering my hospital experience, I have been lobbying for better focus on treatments for Covid patients.  This attitude in the media and government seems to be if you are unvaccinated you get what you deserve is simply wrong.  

Also considering how many more times this thing is going to mutate we better work on a long term arsenal of treatments when the shot proves ineffective like this year’s flu shot.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I wouldn’t be taking shots at anyone who choses to not get vaccinated, especially someone under 40, where the risks to the person are very low.  There are legitimate concerns with the vaccine including major heart issues in young men.  People with certain allergies can have life threatening reactions as well.  Everyone’s circumstances are different and we need to not simply have a blanket response to people making their own health decisions.  

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/safety/myocarditis.html

I will take shots at them. I will do so unless they prove they have actually done some homework on the vaccine instead of the "research"  a certain demograph shout and they prove that they are in fact one of the small percentage of the population that shouldn't get the vaccination.

If the people that could safely get the vaccine would get the vaccine we would not be in the position we are in.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

I will take shots at them. I will do so unless they prove they have actually done some homework on the vaccine instead of the "research"  a certain demograph shout and they prove that they are in fact one of the small percentage of the population that shouldn't get the vaccination.

If the people that could safely get the vaccine would get the vaccine we would not be in the position we are in.

So you are the ultimate authority on right vs wrong?  Wow it must be great to be you.  Do you have a website they can submit their research to you?  Please post it here.  

1 hour ago, drnkirishone said:

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So you are the ultimate authority on right vs wrong?  Wow it must be great to be you.  Do you have a website they can submit their research to you?  Please post it here.  

Cease and desist.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

Serious question:  What would be the point of postponement?  

• Arrange for taxi squads.
  • Reschedule to minimize border crossings.
  • Temporary rule changes pertaining to number of players required.
  • Probably other things.  That's just what comes to mind.
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:
  • Arrange for taxi squads.
  • Reschedule to minimize border crossings.
  • Temporary rule changes pertaining to number of players required.
  • Probably other things.  That's just what comes to mind.

There are a million things for the league to think about/do right now and it made sense to flat out shut things down for a while.

Paul Hamilton was calling for this on the radio a good 10 days ago or more.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

There are a million things for the league to think about/do right now and it made sense to flat out shut things down for a while.

Paul Hamilton was calling for this on the radio a good 10 days ago or more.

The league should’ve had contingency plans already written out well before this. That another variant has popped up should be a surprise to no one (except our Federal government leaders). 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.