GDT: Sabres at Washington, Nov. 8, 2021, 7pm, MSG, WGR

Eleven

Just a couple of thoughts... 

--I think the Sabres could have pulled that off if they had Anderson playing as well as he played to start the season.

--Either they added two more syllables to the "Lets Go Caps" chant, or there were more than a few Sabres fans in there last night.  Also, the lower bowl looked similar to the one at KBC.

10 hours ago, darksabre said:

@SwampD he heard you

They have definitely fallen into more of a hang back & let the shot go from the point mentality since the WC road trip than they were playing before that & last night's game was the most obvious example of it.  But a bit of that was likely a respect for the opponent.  If they start running around pressuring like on the 1st Bertuzzi goal on Friday, Ovi would've gotten that dozen some were hoping to see.

When playing lesser opponents, hopefully they get back to the pressure.  Sounds like Granato wants that.

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I like they attack the crease. We haven't had players who would go to the dirty areas.

Pretty sure that was coaching.  Granato is OK & actually encourages guys to go to the net before the pucks ready to go there.  Bylsma & Krueger definitely didn't.  Can't say anyone but Reinhart on the PP did it consistently under Housley.

Like that they do it now.  Though even that they were getting away from until last night.

Edited by Taro T
Double post

7 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Has the “at least they are fun to watch” shine, worn off yet?   

I can only speak for myself, but no, not yet.  

Is the product objectively and measurably better than it has been the past few years?  Outside of the first few games not really, but I'm willing to give them a lot more rope now for perhaps undeserved reasons.  They are, again solely in my opinion, a bunch easier to root for now, for some reason.

YMMV

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

In person, no.  Even as bad as the end of the Detroit game went, it was still fun to be at.  Ask again after this weekend on that front.  😉

On TV yesterday, they had moments in the 2nd & 3rd that were fun, but the 1st was nearly unwatchable.  They aren't nearly deep enough to overcome more than 1 or 2 injuries.  And young teams shouldn't have more than that really but yet, here we are.

18 minutes ago, Taro T said:

In person, no.  Even as bad as the end of the Detroit game went, it was still fun to be at.  Ask again after this weekend on that front.  😉

On TV yesterday, they had moments in the 2nd & 3rd that were fun, but the 1st was nearly unwatchable.  They aren't nearly deep enough to overcome more than 1 or 2 injuries.  And young teams shouldn't have more than that really but yet, here we are.

I guess the lack of interest in the game is I look at the roster today and wonder how many of these guys will be part of the team even come next fall.  Hopefully the infusion of all the “touted” prospects will start to draw me back in next season.  TBH…the struggles of Dahlin and Cozens(the two best prospects on the team) is not making Sabres games “must see TV”.  

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I guess the lack of interest in the game is I look at the roster today and wonder how many of these guys will be part of the team even come next fall.  Hopefully the infusion of all the “touted” prospects will start to draw me back in next season.  TBH…the struggles of Dahlin and Cozens(the two best prospects on the team) is not making Sabres games “must see TV”.  

I don’t think since LaFontaine and Mogilny have I ever tuned in to watch an individual player.  

12 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

I don't think Tage's hands have gotten better, he pulled off insane dekes his rookie year, he's just learned a lot more about how to play the game since then. I'm worried that Cozens won't be able to stickhandle and make quick puck plays well if he never gets a chance to succeed at them in games. I don't think that was Tage's problem 

11 hours ago, K-9 said:

Tage is much stronger both on his skates and in his upper body than he was previously. 

And really, while I acknowledge your concern, @Randall Flagg, I think Cozens has the same issue that Tage had:  Strength on his skates.  If he is operating from a more stable platform (while getting harassed), his stickhandling will improve I think.

12 hours ago, ubkev said:

I wasn't paying attention. Was it Cozens getting tossed like a child?

Yep.

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Not really. They do look better, but young. It helps to keep in mind that there is help on the way. 

Coach G needs to get Cozens with better line mates. I think Cozens, R2 and Bjork would be a serious good scoring line. Not sure if he doesn't want Hyden, Vinnie and Cogglia on a line together but he needs to do something. 

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

"in and around" but never deep in tight when it mattered. Old argument not worth getting back into, he's gone, but we have not been in front of the net like Washington always is for years. Still aren't, but slightly better this year. 

Cozens still needs to get stronger to play his style effectively at this level. He also needs better linemates. Still think he should be in Rochester this year. 

I was hopeful for that shift or two when they swapped him in with Girgs and Okie at the end of the 2nd.  *He* looked better, not sure if the line was better with him.  Must have been an equipment problem with Eakin or something because it didn't last long.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

useless analytical stats. How many goals did they score and win or lose?

Tells me they are playing the right way, they just don’t have the horses to capitalize. It’ll come when they infuse the lineup with talent. In the meantime, they are watchable even minus 3 of their best players if not their actual best players. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.