Sabres Trade for Johnny Boychuk’s Contract

Brawndo

Just now, Skibum said:

I guess I don't understand the future considerations part. We took a burden off their hands - don't they owe us something in return? 

It also helps us though, or else why would Adams have done it? If it works to the favour of both sides, it's probably like others have said, "future considerations" is purely standard practice for "nothing". 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

If Boychuck is LTIR, how does that help the Sabres?  i thought LTIR salaries don’t count against the cap?

Contracts on LTIR count against the cap, unless the team is at/over the salary cap.  The savings don’t start until you are over the cap.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

I'm laughing because you'll do anything you can, and use those same samantics, to justify the last tank.

Look, it is absolutely different this time. Everyone can see that. It's actually what many of us who were against the Tank wanted to see the last time. We needed a proper rebuild and didn't need to intetionally lose for over 2 years.

But we are absolutely not trying to win this year, and end up as low as we can to get some high end talent in the next draft. Call it what you want.

For now.

Cool hook em

Basically you see this as different, want to use the same term, and plan to say the other tank was bad. What a joke.

I dug further into thus deal. This is actual a steal for the Sabres $ wise.  We get a $6 mil cap hit for only $1.25 mill in real $. This explains why we didn’t get a pick for taking on the contract assuming the NYI already paid his 2.75 signing bonus.  

I was annoyed earlier when I thought we were paying $6 mill in real $ to take on this contract.  

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

I dug further into thus deal. This is actual a steal for the Sabres $ wise.  We get a $6 mil cap hit for only $1.25 mill in real $. This explains why we didn’t get a pick for taking on the contract assuming the NYI already paid his 2.75 signing bonus.  

I was annoyed earlier when I thought we were paying $6 mill in real $ to take on this contract.  

It's actually only 500k from Buffalo because he's injured. 

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Why in the world would you be upset over what we are actually paying him?  Cap hit, I'd get.  But actual dollars?  Who cares what it costs TP?

• Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Weave said:

Why in the world would you be upset over what we are actually paying him?  Cap hit, I'd get.  But actual dollars?  Who cares what it costs TP?

I care because it’s part of running an organization intelligently.  One of the reasons we have so often failed is that we spent money stupidly.  Getting a 6 mill cap hit for only 500k (insurance covering the rest) is good business and shows a competent approach to running the franchise. 

I have been very vocal on how poorly KA has done, but honestly his decisions of late with the help of his new management team have been vastly improved and this is just the latest example.  

I was also impressed with how he discussed how he utilized his team to help execute the Jack trade.

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I care because it’s part of running an organization intelligently.  One of the reasons we have so often failed is that we spent money stupidly.  Getting a 6 mill cap hit for only 500k (insurance covering the rest) is good business and shows a competent approach to running the franchise. 

I have been very vocal on how poorly KA has done, but honestly his decisions of late with the help of his new management team have been vastly improved and this is just the latest example.  

I was also impressed with how he discussed how he utilized his team to help execute the Jack trade.

The only thing actually dollars means is how much tolerance TP has for expenses.  The rest is solely in your head.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Skibum said:

I guess I don't understand the future considerations part. We took a burden off their hands - don't they owe us something in return? 

But you could also look at it as they did the Sabres a favour because the Sabres needed a contract to get above the cap floor.

This is what Arizona has done plenty of times, except usually they do it to get another asset with it. The Sabres are giving up a future asset for just the cap hit.

Just now, apuszczalowski said:

But you could also look at it as they did the Sabres a favour because the Sabres needed a contract to get above the cap floor.

This is what Arizona has done plenty of times, except usually they do it to get another asset with it. The Sabres are giving up a future asset for just the cap hit.

They aren't giving up anything. 

1 minute ago, apuszczalowski said:

They will eventually have to give up something, thats what 'future considerations' are.

whether its a very low pick, or some scrub prospect whos barely hanging on to a roster spot in the minors, eventually something has to go the other way.

I don't think it actually does. I've never seen the NHL enforce this. 

9 minutes ago, Weave said:

The only thing actually dollars means is how much tolerance TP has for expenses.  The rest is solely in your head.

My head too. I think a move indicating a well run organization is a good sign they are...a well run organization. Or at least becoming one. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

I'm leaning nothing as well. But I hope Lou is all... "You know, I like Sheevyn. I'm gonna give them that low 6th that JBott traded their high 6th for. I believe in karmic balance."

A 6th in 2023 is my pipe dream.

Pretty sure the Sabres will send them an 8th rounder when Boychuk officially retires.

11 hours ago, Weave said:

Not upset about TP’s money, but upset that we did what appeared to be a big favor to NYI without receiving any compensation in return.  Basically upset that the Sabres were being managed poorly and missing opportunities to get assets.

55 minutes ago, Curt said:

Not upset about TP’s money, but upset that we did what appeared to be a big favor to NYI without receiving any compensation in return.  Basically upset that the Sabres were being managed poorly and missing opportunities to get assets.

It may have been more of a favor to us.  We needed to hit the cap floor.

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

It may have been more of a favor to us.  We needed to hit the cap floor.

Both teams benefitted.  Per Puckpedia, the Aisles are now just over $2MM under the cap, so they are banking some cap now which they couldn't do with Boyckuk's ghost still around.

And the Sabres now can afford to send league minimum salaries back to the AHL when injured guys come back & might even be able to trade Miller or Eakin at the deadline w/out major cap gymnastics.  And all for somewhere between $500k-1,500k.

Win win.  That 8th round pick will head to the Aisles when Johnny retires officially.  The Aisles might even play nice and swap an 8th rounder back.  😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.