Getting to know Peyton Krebs

WildCard

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

My worry more so stems from the fact, I think a lot of the "bad attitude" stuff actually develops, rather than being present from the beginning.

Of course.  But bringing in players you know to be character problem guys doesn't help it at all.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Doesn't every team? I think Adams is trying to target what one might call.. "good" players. 

No one wants slow moving, lackadaisical workers with little talent and a bad rep. 

Nothing personal.  But the argument that “yeah, every team wants players who are X (fast, big, good leaders, etc)” is just a really tired argument.

Everyone wants a perfect player, yes.  However, 99.9% of the time one must choose which desirable characteristics they are going to value most highly and target.

Edited by Curt

7 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Of course.  But bringing in players you know to be character problem guys doesn't help it at all.

Yup - that's why I acknowledged that IMO Adams seems competent in this regard. But who knows, it's so early and to think we can judge character at this point is probably folly. 

To me I still don't see it as a "mark of good strategy". There isn't a single element that Adams said he looks for in players that I don't think captain obvious wouldn't say. With the exception of finding guys who are "dying"* to be here. 

It'll come down to execution. 

*I love the fact Adams kind of very quickly cast-around for a new word to describe the "guys who want to be here" thing in his latest interview - seemingly he needed to up the level even further to now players who would "DIE" for the crest lol. I hope he keeps upping it - the meme is getting better. You have to respect it, because he clearly means it. 

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Everyone wants a perfect player, yes.  However, 99.9% of the time one must choose which desirable characteristics they are going to value most highly and target.

The things I've heard them targeting I don't feel to be close to needing to ever be on the chopping block. As in the few things fall within the "acceptable" amount I think one can look for in a player. 

ymmv

"Perfect" starts to come into play when we measure talent level. 

Guys who play fast, work hard, etc etc - those are IMO base level requirements 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yup - that's why I acknowledged that IMO Adams seems competent in this regard. But who knows, it's so early and to think we can judge character at this point is probably folly. 

To me I still don't see it as a "mark of good strategy". There isn't a single element that Adams said he looks for in players that I don't think captain obvious wouldn't say. With the exception of finding guys who are "dying"* to be here. 

It'll come down to execution. 

*I love the fact Adams kind of very quickly cast-around for a new word to describe the "guys who want to be here" thing in his latest interview - seemingly he needed to up the level even further to now players who would "DIE" for the crest lol. I hope he keeps upping it - the meme is getting better. You have to respect it, because he clearly means it. 

The things I've heard them targeting I don't feel to be close to needing to ever be on the chopping block. As in the few things fall within the "acceptable" amount I think one can look for in a player. 

ymmv

"Perfect" starts to come into play when we measure talent level. 

Guys who play fast, work hard, etc etc - those are IMO base level requirements 

How about guy who would “die” for the Sabres crest?  Is that a generic base level requirement?  😜

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Curt said:

Nothing personal.  But the argument that “yeah, every team wants players who are X (fast, big, good leaders, etc)” is just a really tired argument.

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

How about guy who would “die” for the Sabres crest?  Is that a generic base level requirement?  😜

I can definitely tell you are tired of the argument cause you ain't reading mine, given the above, considering this was the post you quoted:

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

😄

2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Bringing in some competent goalies under age forty ought to be tops on the to do list for next year.

I doubt this happens. Unless there is a trade somewhere there's not a lot of FA goalies worth looking at next year. Unless Columbus doesn't want Korpisalo or Edmonton doesn't re-sign Koskinen (both of which I doubt) it's pretty slim pickings. 

Carter Hutton, will however, be available. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

There isn't a single element that Adams said he looks for in players that I don't think captain obvious wouldn't say.

Right but past GMs brought in players with questionable (at best) character in spite of their character flaws. 

On the football side of things, the Raiders have historically brought in players who other teams wouldn't touch due to such flaws and did well with them over the years.  There has been much made on the Bills about *not* bringing players like that in.  I think this might be yet another case of the Sabres mirroring what has more or less worked for the Bills in recent years.

3 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Right but past GMs brought in players with questionable (at best) character in spite of their character flaws. 

On the football side of things, the Raiders have historically brought in players who other teams wouldn't touch due to such flaws and did well with them over the years.  There has been much made on the Bills about *not* bringing players like that in.  I think this might be yet another case of the Sabres mirroring what has more or less worked for the Bills in recent years.

That's true, maybe we'll see extra weight attributed to the "character" side, but my gut says the guys we acquired who turned out to be poor "character" guys weren't acquired in spite of those thing, but rather that the GM had determined those thing to not actually be issues. I call it a misread. To me, that's still execution. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Parsing of words, perhaps.  I think as cited in the Raiders example, some organizations might actively seek low character, but high talent, players because it represents a pool of talent the rest of the league isn't tapping into.  The problem then becomes the inmates running the asylum.  If the locker room culture is right, maybe that works, but what the Sabres had under previous GMs was the Catholic school situation:  You send your problem children to Catholic school in an effort to redeem them, but all that happens is they corrupt the good kids.  I think there was a lot of that when Jack was young and impressionable.

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri

You and Curt are right about the character side. I tend to lump that in with the "guys who are willing to bleed out on a shield to be Sabres" thing but you are correct it should be acknowledged as it's own thing. 

In truth I did a poor job of explaining that it's really more the on-ice stuff I roll my eyes at. That, at least, seems to me to be pretty common league wide. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
6 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

At this point Krebs looks like he will top out as a Curtis Lazar at best. He has a long way to go and needs to be a LOT better to make a real impact in the future. 

Confused Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Krebs has outproduced Lazar at every level. Only current exception is Lazar in the NHL but Krebs hasn't gotten 60+ games there yet. 

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

At this point Krebs looks like he will top out as a Curtis Lazar at best. He has a long way to go and needs to be a LOT better to make a real impact in the future. 

This and the  'Tuch was the sabres best player last night' are more evidence you watch hockey much differently than I do.

• Like (+1) 4

23 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

How can you land here after two games?  You posted this a little over one month ago.  

On 11/9/2021 at 11:31 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Oh yes, he was a great leader, that's why all the GMs signed him long term and that's why we won so many games with him. Carry on yawning..............

22 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Disagree.

Krebs creates offense, he did it last night and looked the part of a top 6 contributor.    He's not going to score a ton, but he creates chances and finds open teammates.    He looks nearly NHL ready IMO.   

• Like (+1) 3

37 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Disagree.

Krebs creates offense, he did it last night and looked the part of a top 6 contributor.    He's not going to score a ton, but he creates chances and finds open teammates.    He looks nearly NHL ready IMO.   

Pretty sure he made more direct passes to create good scoring chances than any other Sabre last night: Okposo in the high slot from behind the net, low to high across the grain to Olofsson for a one-timer, and a 60-footer off the left half-wall on the rush to the 2nd trailer. And he got to all three pucks with hustle and well-timed reads.

He also created space for his linemates by driving lanes without the puck, and cut off several breakout attempts with good anticipation. There were a few times where his mates got the puck from him, then put their heads down and skated into traffic instead of working the give and go as they should have. He’s smarter, quicker and has better hands than than Lazar already and he hustles just as much. Needs to get stronger.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

Krebs is only 20 and has only played 15 NHL games over 3 seasons for two teams, we have no idea who he is yet as an NHL player.  He does need to add 20 pounds.  How about we wait until he actually plays 40 games for us before we call him a bust or Lazar 2.0.

How many people here labeled Mitts and Thompson busts?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

How can you land here after two games?  You posted this a little over one month ago.  

Not sure how the other comment relates. It was about Reinhart I think? I still don't like him as a player, he's just on a good team now. He's not a leader imo. 

But anyway, the operative words were "at this point". In no way have I given up on Krebs, just saying he has to improve a LOT to become what people want him to become. If he doesn't, Curtis Lazar at best. Pretty much just relating this to the lofty idea that a line of Krebs Quinn Peterka will come up next season and carry us to the promised land. We are further from that than many people think. 

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

How many people here labeled Mitts and Thompson busts?

Mitts, Thompson, Cozens, they all needed some time to develop their game and even when they got to the NHL they weren't instant impact players.  I see a similar curve needed for Krebs.

Tage might be a good comp:  Came from another team's system, played some NHL games before being traded to Buffalo, still needs some seasoning.  Krebs will be fine.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.