Why should we consider this different than "the streak" in 2019?

LGR4GM

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I didn’t set it, the Sabres did.  That has been our bar for years. Improving on Hutton was the easiest thing to do but they didn’t do it.  

I think we know Anderson is a seasoned veteran and that what he has done thus far is no "flash in the pan" like so many other goalies who do great one year then fade quickly from grace. His story is one of perseverance and perseverance and there is absolutely no reason to think he will not keep giving us the goaltending we have not had since RM...   there were so many games over the past few years we should have won but goaltending let the team down over & over and exGMJBotto's answer was Hutton ('nough said)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

The part that worries me is that our goalies are 5th and 7th in the league for save percentage, and I find it highly doubtful that either of them will be that high later in the season. Our goalies have been playing all out to start this season, and if they regress to their mean, this team wins less games. 

True.

I will take, "not stink out the joint" as a tolerable low-end.  I expect that they will fall back towards average as the year goes on.  But if they play at least passably and the team in front of them keeps playing hard, I will feel good about them anyway.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/26/2021 at 9:29 AM, bob_sauve28 said:

If the goaltending continues to be good, we will probably be fine. The younger players will be given the breathing space needed to grow, chemistry between players will be given a chance to mature and confidence will increase. 

If the goaltending falls apart...

The goaltending is helped tremendously by Risto not turning picks over in his own end like it was his job and by him not losing his man in front of the net. How Adams got a first round pick plus is an unsolved mystery.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

On 10/26/2021 at 1:30 PM, Pimlach said:

I didn’t set it, the Sabres did.  That has been our bar for years. Improving on Hutton was the easiest thing to do but they didn’t do it.  

Anderson has been a good goalie for a long time in the league...he is far better than Hutton. Yeah he is 40, but there are some goalies who have played well into their 40s, we shouldn't automatically assume he will start sucking.

This team definitely seems to be loving their underdog and rag tag bunch of misfits role where nobody gave them a chance to win and it's them against the world. Maybe a little like Vegas was their first year, although with less talent.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Talent will eventually catch up to this team and we will be far closer to .500 by the end of the season. 

I agree. As of now I see this as an 80 point team, and that is with getting injured players back.  Nothing I have seen so far makes me think any differently yet.  Of course, 80 points to me is about 15 points better than I thought just a couple weeks ago. 

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

@deluca67 .500?

That's a playoff team so, probably unlikely. 

Points percentage .500 seems possible, and I didn't think it was, believe someone here said they might beat Bylsma's 81 point season and I said it wouldn't happen - maybe it will. 

Couldn't watch again yesterday, just too late for me when I work nights. But looked like another big downturn in the metrics from what I saw posted online. How did the game actually look to the eye? 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes. 

I would be pretty surprised. It's uncommon for a deluca .500 team to miss the playoffs 

Just now, darksabre said:

I mean, that would be a triumph

Hell yes. We'd be talking 41-31-10? (Btw, that's playoff bubble territory.)

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

That's a playoff team so, probably unlikely. 

Points percentage .500 seems possible, and I didn't think it was, believe someone here said they might beat Bylsma's 81 point season and I said it wouldn't happen - maybe it will. 

Couldn't watch again yesterday, just too late for me when I work nights. But looked like another big downturn in the metrics from what I saw posted online. How did the game actually look to the eye? 

I would be pretty surprised. It's uncommon for a deluca .500 team to miss the playoffs 

Good insights. I think an 80+ point team is a good outcome for this squad. A DeLuca .500 team would be a great outcome.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Hell yes. We'd be talking 41-31-10? (Btw, that's playoff bubble territory.)

Good insights. I think an 80+ point team is a good outcome for this squad. A DeLuca .500 team would be a great outcome.

Totally. Deluca .500 to me is the benchmark every year - you hit that mark you are likely in the playoffs. Looking up the last few years right now

• Like (+1) 1

None in the last 3 seasons I could see hit Deluca and missed, but

in 17-18, Florida and St. Louis had 96 and 94 point seasons, well above deluca .500, and missed. Sucks for them. Dallas had 92 points, reaching Deluca .500, and also missed. 

Tampa in 16-17 missed with 94 points, Islanders missed with 94

Boston in 15-16 missed with 93 

Boston in 14-15 had 96 and missed, Dallas had 92 and missed

Dallas in 11-12 missed with 89..

Dallas in 10-11 missed with 95, Calgary with 94

- - - 

So some years there are none, generally though, of the ~17/18 teams to hit deluca .500 every year on average, 1 will fail to make the playoffs, sometimes even 2. As far as I can see they are almost always up above 90 points though.

Unless you are Dallas, who seems to deluca .500 every season while finding a way to miss lol

• Thanks (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

btw - was the 9-game streak in 2018?

10 game winning streak in fall 2018. Reached first place in NHL standings (17-6-2)

Then in 2019, we were at the top of the standings after our quick start. 8-1-1.

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

super rough math: the team's raw corsi in and around the 9-game winning streak of the fall of 2018 was ~46.6% - Shot Attempts being 643 for their opponents and 562 for the Sabres (this is actually over an 11-game period of time with the 9-game win streak included). their raw corsi was a bit better than that last night (48.6%).

for the year thus far, the team as a whole has a raw corsi % of 49.48%.

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

@deluca67 .500?

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes. 

1 hour ago, darksabre said:

I mean, that would be a triumph

I am realizing that that "yes" didn't have the sarcasm behind it I intended. 

I think if the team gets 82 points it will be a successful year (aka .500 points, yes I know there are loser points and such). I don't see them pulling a Deluca .500 because I expect their hot goaltending to drop off a little and their scoring to remain about the same. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

super rough math: the team's raw corsi in and around the 9-game winning streak of the fall of 2018 was ~46.6% - Shot Attempts being 643 for their opponents and 562 for the Sabres (this is actually over an 11-game period of time with the 9-game win streak included). their raw corsi was a bit better than that last night (48.6%).

for the year thus far, the team as a whole has a raw corsi % of 49.48%.

The eye test, from what I've seen, says they are undoubtedly better, so far. The stats say the same thing. Digging a little deeper, I think what gives me pause still is the schedule. It can potentially be aiding both the stats and how it looks to the eyes. I'd be tempted to compare the cumulative record of the teams during that streak, and the teams we've played this season, but I don't want to be "that guy" haha.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.