GDT:Penguins at Buffalo 10/1/21 7pm Streaming on Sabres.com, WGR550

Brawndo

32 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

We are fielding an AHL level squad this year.  That is not an exaggeration.  It's hard to believe a team can be this badly mismanaged. 

I tried to tell ppl for years we're drafting like garbage but no one wanted to hear it. It appears that may be fixed, but we'll need another 2-3 drafts to really stock talent.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

We are fielding an AHL level squad this year.  That is not an exaggeration.  It's hard to believe a team can be this badly mismanaged. 

Mismanaged at the GM level and above.  I don't think there's as much value in targeting Granato for the level of play from that roster.  He didn't impose the spending limits or decide to let Ullmark go only to wind up with league minimum goaltending options.    

Historically, the fan-base of bad teams will fix their ire on field level down to individual player.  I'd like to see that change for once if the team remains entrenched in the league's basement.  Adams owns this roster now.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

I seriously doubt he’s “in it for the cash” and “doesn’t care.”

Your takes tonight have been subpar, which is unusual for you. 

my level of engagement with the game was subpar because it was horrible bad boring hockey. Yes, it's preseason, but I didn't see a single Sabre that impressed me or seemed to be giving their all to make the team. This could be the worst team EVER. 

As for Skinner. You explain it. One good year playing for the contract and then crap ever since and crap tonight. So go ahead, if my idea is wrong, explain it. 

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

I don't see that at all with Jeff. By all accounts he's a team player and well liked.

People criticized Jack for being lazy when it was very clear that he was willing but unable, and I see the same thing here. Skinner is trying, but he just doesn't seem to have that extra gear anymore. Maybe he just needs a few games to get going, but I admit that I'm worried.

Well there's been a number of theories and excuses for Skinner but the simple fact is he has sucked since he signed the fat contract. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well there's been a number of theories and excuses for Skinner but the simple fact is he has sucked since he signed the fat contract. 

I want to point to one specific thing that has been prescient, which is that his play fell off a cliff after he rolled his ankle against the Capitals on February, 23 2019. A lot of us were there that night because it was the Sabrespace Meetup Game. If you look at his game log he literally hasn't been the same since that night. Something happened.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

As others have said, did it happen when he hurt his ankle?

It is like someone turned a switch off with him in mid-February, actually a few games before that Caps game where he hurt his ankle.

Even that 40 goal season...He had 4 goals in the last 25 games (a 13 goal pace)...After 36 goals in his first 57 games.

Edited by mjd1001

5 hours ago, darksabre said:

I want to point to one specific thing that has been prescient, which is that his play fell off a cliff after he rolled his ankle against the Capitals on February, 23 2019. A lot of us were there that night because it was the Sabrespace Meetup Game. If you look at his game log he literally hasn't been the same since that night. Something happened.

It definitely happened around that time.

He was bad to finish the season and everyone forgave him because he was so good in the first half.

He was bad the next season and everyone blamed Krueger.

He was bad last season and everyone blamed Krueger.

He was bad after Krueger got fired and everyone blamed Krueger.

This isn't a new thing at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

After last night I don't know how anybody could be excited for this season .

Yeah.  I thought we had a much better lineup on paper last night compared to the Penguins and expected a good win.  The score didn't reflect the full story.  I was amazed at how many times we were on offense and our player was surrounded by three Penguins and had no option to pass.

I think Granato really needs to focus on who he wants on the team and see if he can develop some chemistry in the lines.  I know it's only preseason and they should improve but they sure look like they have a long way to go right now.  I didn't look it up but it wouldn't surprise me if we have enough cap room to buy the entire Penguin squad we played last night. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

It definitely happened around that time.

He was bad to finish the season and everyone forgave him because he was so good in the first half.

He was bad the next season and everyone blamed Krueger.

He was bad last season and everyone blamed Krueger.

He was bad after Krueger got fired and everyone blamed Krueger.

This isn't a new thing at all.

The problem becomes what to do about it. If Skinner is injured so badly he basically can't play at the level he was when he signed the contract what do you do with him? 

18 minutes ago, Digger said:

Yeah.  I thought we had a much better lineup on paper last night compared to the Penguins and expected a good win.  The score didn't reflect the full story.  I was amazed at how many times we were on offense and our player was surrounded by three Penguins and had no option to pass.

I think Granato really needs to focus on who he wants on the team and see if he can develop some chemistry in the lines.  I know it's only preseason and they should improve but they sure look like they have a long way to go right now.  I didn't look it up but it wouldn't surprise me if we have enough cap room to buy the entire Penguin squad we played last night. 

You’re right. That’s what preseason is for. Hopeful he gets it right. 

12 hours ago, SabresVet said:

Mismanaged at the GM level and above.  I don't think there's as much value in targeting Granato for the level of play from that roster.  He didn't impose the spending limits or decide to let Ullmark go only to wind up with league minimum goaltending options.    

Historically, the fan-base of bad teams will fix their ire on field level down to individual player.  I'd like to see that change for once if the team remains entrenched in the league's basement.  Adams owns this roster now.  

I agree. I actually think Don is the right guy for this job.  His skill is developing young guys. That will be our theme for the next 4-5 years. I don't think we can realistically expect to be a playoff team for 3-4 years.  This is year is 2015 all over again.  50 points might be reasonable. 

Edited by Gatorman0519

• SDS unpinned this topic
2 hours ago, darksabre said:

The problem becomes what to do about it. If Skinner is injured so badly he basically can't play at the level he was when he signed the contract what do you do with him? 

I hear what you're saying, but looking at him his skating seems fine. I don't see any signs that he is on a bad ankle or anything like that. 

Skinner's never been known as a hard worker and if you were him, would you put out your all on what is clearly a dismantled tank team that will likely suck for multiple years before the kids all step up (if) or would you just float and cash your cheques and maybe even hope for a buy out so you can go play for the Leafs for cheap? or just cash the cheques and stay home. Either way, I don't think it's an injury, and certainly not a permanent one which would be what it would have to be after 2 years.

6 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

As others have said, did it happen when he hurt his ankle?

It is like someone turned a switch off with him in mid-February, actually a few games before that Caps game where he hurt his ankle.

Even that 40 goal season...He had 4 goals in the last 25 games (a 13 goal pace)...After 36 goals in his first 57 games.

Or did it happen after he signed the big fat long term guaranteed contract?

The trail off stat is meaningless as the team trailed off, the supporting cast trailed off, and he already had his numbers so he didn't want to get hurt, whatever. It actually can back up my argument about him playing or not playing when he wants to. 

There is a chance the Sabres have no forwards in any level of the organization who will ever (or ever again) be capable of scoring 40 points in an NHL season. It's not likely that this is the case, but possibility is non-trivial. A very dangerous place to put yourself in even if you like the kids. Franchise-wrecking potential, especially on the heels of the last 10 yrs 

Rare and dangerous grounds, which you'd think would call for vigorous push for stability in net at the very least. 

Not good feelings heading into puck drop

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

There is a chance the Sabres have no forwards in any level of the organization who will ever (or ever again) be capable of scoring 40 points in an NHL season. It's not likely that this is the case, but possibility is non-trivial. A very dangerous place to put yourself in even if you like the kids. Franchise-wrecking potential, especially on the heels of the last 10 yrs 

Rare and dangerous grounds, which you'd think would call for vigorous push for stability in net at the very least. 

Not good feelings heading into puck drop

I guess if you ignore any player last year on a 40+ point pace and Dahlin... sure. What a strange post and statement. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I hear what you're saying, but looking at him his skating seems fine. I don't see any signs that he is on a bad ankle or anything like that. 

Skinner's never been known as a hard worker and if you were him, would you put out your all on what is clearly a dismantled tank team that will likely suck for multiple years before the kids all step up (if) or would you just float and cash your cheques and maybe even hope for a buy out so you can go play for the Leafs for cheap? or just cash the cheques and stay home. Either way, I don't think it's an injury, and certainly not a permanent one which would be what it would have to be after 2 years.

I don't think his skating looks good at all. He's constantly getting knocked down and he doesn't seem nearly as agile as in the past. Either he's unable to skate like he used to or it's in his head.

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I guess if you ignore any player last year on a 40+ point pace and Dahlin... sure. What a strange post and statement. 

So that's Mittlestadt (22p in 41g) and Olofsson (32p in 53g).  They are the only remaining forwards still on the roster from last season who were on a 40 point pace for an 82 game season. (Reinhart, Hall, and Eichel were the only other fowards on pace for 40 points).

Mittlestadt will be moving into the 1C role, which means he'll be facing opponents best shutdown players.  That could easily knock him off pace for 40 points this season.

Oloffson's point total was driven off the power play and 1st line minutes, meaning he played with Eichel and Reinhart.  If the poweplay struggles and the play from the top two centers falls off from last season, Olofsson could struggle to hit 40 points.

Dhalin scored 23p in 56 games, so he wasn't on a 40p pace last season. 

So the post wasn't so strange.  Outside of Mittlestadt and Olofsson, the Sabres aren't returning any forwards who were on a 40 point pace  last season.

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

I hope the bolded text above is not the case for Skinner.  That would indicate a real lack of character.  I hear what you are saying but for me it would be hard to not play to the best of my ability.  I would feel like crap if I didn't go 100%.  I imagine that he does want to play well because his reputation has taken a real hit since the slump.  We do see Okposo put in the effort (as another bad contract) so let's hope Skinner does the same.  He needs to find some chemistry with some line mates though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.