What do you expect from: #25 Arttu Ruotsalainen?

dudacek

Arttu Ruotsalainen  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Ruotsalainen this year?

• This kid is an NHL-level sleeper pick, and has a chance to lead the Sabres in scoring
    • He will be one of the team's more reliable forwards, getting a regular shift in the top 9 and scoring more than 30 points
    • Just another one of several Sabre JAGs this year, filling a role until better players come along
    • A spare part

Small and undrafted, Ruotsalainen has done a pretty good job so far of crafting his career into one of those great underdog stories

He scored one point in 34 games as a 19-year-old in SM-liiga, the Finnish elite league. Two years later, his improved play earned him a free agent contract with the Sabres. Two years after that he was in the NHL.

Short and not particularly fast, Ruotsalainen is a competitive fireplug who combines hockey sense and body positioning to overcome those shortcomings and spices up the mix with a deadly shot. The Sabres have moved him back to his usual centre position this year after he broke in last year as a winger.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=186152

The pandemic season went about as well as could have been expected for R2. He spent the early part leading the Finnish league in scoring, transferred to Rochester where he put up a point per game as a rookie in the 2nd best league in North America, and finished it with a regular shift on the big club in Buffalo.

What do you expect from Ruotsalainen this season?

I think he has a chance to lead them in scoring, but unfortunately that’s because the competition for that honor won’t be too daunting.

I do really like the story though, and I think he has excellent offensive hockey IQ, a tough fire hydrant frame and a good shot, and is a pretty decent passer too.

I expect him to be a solid contributor with upside for more.  

Many of you have said it: somebody is going to have to step up into that hole and produce some offence for Buffalo.

R2 is at the right stage of his development and has the right skillset to be my best bet to capitalize.

I can't pick him as our leading scorer, but I think he will be one of them.

4 hours ago, Weave said:

JAG

I don't see him as a top two line player but I see him being a good third or even fourth line player who can contribute. Don't knock the importance of those lower line players. For the past number of years our lower lines have contributed little offensively. Getting something from those lower lines helps out. 

I’m going with option 1. He has steadily progressed every season, and there are no signs pointing to that stopping this season. 

He will potentially be a threat to lead the Sabres in scoring, largely because of who his competition will be. 

He should finish 5th behind Skinner, Dahlin, Cozens, and Olof, but you never know.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.