What do you expect from: #21 Kyle Okposo?

dudacek

What do you expect from: #21 Kyle Okposo?   

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best describes what you think the Sabres will get from Okposo this year?

• He's done and he doesn't fit the youth movement. He'll lose his job to faster legs and be a non-factor before the year is over.
    • He'll be leaned on in a leadership role and be a contributing but low-offence member of the bottom six
    • He'll be asked to do more offensively in support of some the youngsters and respond with his best season in years.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Will you shut the hell up with this tank nonsense?????

Really!!  You saying it over and over does not make it reality.  You are so annoying.

I think there is a reasonable likelyhood that he actually wears the 'C'.

Yeah beacuse  our roster is not  Built for the tank  Keep telling yourself that

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalonill said:

Yeah beacuse  our roster is not  Built for the tank  Keep telling yourself that

You do not understand what is involved in tanking.  So just leave it alone.  Okay?

Our roster is not very good right now, but you nailed it with the word 'built'.  You do not build for a tank.  You are describing a rebuild.

2 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

You do not understand what is involved in tanking.  So just leave it alone.  Okay?

Our roster is not very good right now, but you nailed it with the word 'built'.  You do not build for a tank.  You are describing a rebuild.

Look at the  Goalies ..  I rest my case

The biggest problem we had was a goalie and they decreased that more.

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Look at the  Goalies ..  I rest my case

The biggest problem we had was a goalie and they decreased that more.

Your case is not strong.  I explained the goalie situation and addressed your other points in the other thread.

You are really the only one here that is on the tanking rampage.  I am not sure if you were here when the Sabres actually did tank, but it is clearly a different situatuion now.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Your case is not strong.  I explained the goalie situation and addressed your other points in the other thread.

You are really the only one here that is on the tanking rampage.  I am not sure if you were here when the Sabres actually did tank, but it is clearly a different situatuion now.

Missed  this then 

@New Scotland (NS) -- you know I luv ya, but KA's staffing of the goalie position leaves me no choice but to conclude that he has decided to tank this season -- and by tanking I mean intentionally ice a team that will lose enough to ensure a high draft pick.

I hate it, but I don't see how this goalie situation can lead to any other conclusion.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

@New Scotland (NS) -- you know I luv ya, but KA's staffing of the goalie position leaves me no choice but to conclude that he has decided to tank this season -- and by tanking I mean intentionally ice a team that will lose enough to ensure a high draft pick.

I hate it, but I don't see how this goalie situation can lead to any other conclusion.

I love you too, man, but you are wrong on this.  You didn't drink the koolaid in 2014 and 2015, so why now.

They wanted to keep Linus, but when he bolted KA went with some clowns that will not stand in the way of the development of UPL and others in the system.  Same with other position vets.  Last season that was tried and it failed.  The vets here are good enough and have leadership qualities to serve as mentors to the youth.  The kids will win the day, or fail.  That has been the plan since the end of last season.

This is different.  This season was never about winning.  They do not need to tank to be bad.  The intention is to let the kids develop into a good team.  This is a classic rebuild ad the way it should have been done starting in 2014 nstead of a tank.  They will have a high draft pick and the goalie situation will not impact that.

13 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I love you too, man, but you are wrong on this.  You didn't drink the koolaid in 2014 and 2015, so why now.

They wanted to keep Linus, but when he bolted KA went with some clowns that will not stand in the way of the development of UPL and others in the system.  Same with other position vets.  Last season that was tried and it failed.  The vets here are good enough and have leadership qualities to serve as mentors to the youth.  The kids will win the day, or fail.  That has been the plan since the end of last season.

This is different.  This season was never about winning.  They do not need to tank to be bad.  The intention is to let the kids develop into a good team.  This is a classic rebuild ad the way it should have been done starting in 2014 nstead of a tank.  They will have a high draft pick and the goalie situation will not impact that.

I agree that it's different from 2014/2015, and hopefully will end differently, but I think KA knows how important goaltending is -- so IMHO his failure to put good goaltending in place to support the youth movement can only mean that KA is targeting a top-3 draft pick in what is supposed to be a rich draft.

As for Linus, Vogl reported that KA only offered him a 1- or 2-year deal.  That's not a real effort to secure his services, IMHO.  And, like last year, about a million real NHL goalies changed teams, and KA sat out the game again.

I hope I'm wrong.

25 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

We lost sam ,jack thats 85% of our scoring and didn't replace any of that thats my problem imo.

Some can think casey and Cozens can make up for it i honestly cant see it teams are going to put the best shutdown lines against them and its over with

Edited by Buffalonill

Without that contract, most would like him as a role player. I think health is the bigger issue than whether he can still play. I would expect him in the bottom 6, where he probably belongs at this point of his career. But there may not be room in the bottom 6 and there might not be enough talent in the top 6 to exclude him.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

We lost sam ,jack thats 85% of our scoring and didn't replace any of that thats my problem imo.

Some can think casey and Cozens can make up for it i honestly cant see it teams are going to put the best shutdown lines against them and its over with

Who is “we?” 

Are you on the team?

3 hours ago, Srw1525 said:

He’s going to be relied on to solely help the young core coming in mature and produce on a bottom six. Only way i see him fitting on this team.

If you listen to his interview from today it sounds totally in line with your interpretation.  I wouldn't be very surprised if he's a healthy scratch now and then but helps run the practices.  I think he might be a future coach.  When Granato retires after a couple of Cups and turns the reins over to Matt Ellis, Ellis will have Okie behind the bench with him.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Hindsight being 20-20, I think the LOG line and the other recent successful 4th lines, were a product of Okposo carrying the dead weight. 

Sorry Larrson fans.

Zemgus is currently pacing for his most productive season since 2014-2015. His defensive play hasn’t been noticeably worse. Larson with 5 points in 17 games is pacing for more ppg than any year of his career outside of 2014-2015. There’s not much if any evidence of Okposo being the one carrying a line, when they didn’t score more with him.

1 hour ago, sabresparaavida said:

Larson with 5 points in 17 games is pacing for more ppg than any year of his career outside of 2014-2015. 

That isn't honestly that impressive.

His 'point pace' based on points per game is about 3.5 points per 82 games over his career average, and I'll take the years where he actually put the puck in the net over this year where he has just 5 assists.

Also, I think he also had more points per game in 2016-2017

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

That isn't honestly that impressive.

His 'point pace' based on points per game is about 3.5 points per 82 games over his career average, and I'll take the years where he actually put the puck in the net over this year where he has just 5 assists.

Also, I think he also had more points per game in 2016-2017

You’re right, he was set to get a point more over the course of the season in 2016-2017,  I missed that. I agree, it’s not impressive, but his production was not better with Okposo than it was with others, my point being that Okposo was not carrying the line.

2 hours ago, sabresparaavida said:

Zemgus is currently pacing for his most productive season since 2014-2015. His defensive play hasn’t been noticeably worse. Larson with 5 points in 17 games is pacing for more ppg than any year of his career outside of 2014-2015. There’s not much if any evidence of Okposo being the one carrying a line, when they didn’t score more with him.

Okposo is pacing to get 54pts.

The other two put together are well behind him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.