Kevyn Adams has botched the Eichel situation horribly

dudacek

31 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

You seemed to have answered yourself here. 

As you said, we don’t know what deals were offered. Maybe they were all very lowball offers. Doesn’t mean KA is “lost” if that’s the case. We simply don’t know. 

I believe the assumption that GMKA is handling this well takes far more assuming than believing he’s failed miserably does.

14 minutes ago, RETURNTOGLORY said:

Eichel changing agents is very telling IMHO. 

My money is him staying a Sabre. 

Smart money has been on him staying a Sabre until the injury was sorted out for a few months now but the chances of him remaining a Sabre long term are infinitesimal.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

I think everybody involved sees it as the tough situation it is. But I see a team not indemnified against a certain type of surgery on an asset they have tens of millions invested in and a frustrated player. The only “my way or the highway” sentiments I’ve seen expressed have been from Eichel’s camp starting with his exit presser in May and culminating with the propaganda stunt with the doctor in Colorado in the summer. 

If Adams takes the "my hands are tied approach, but I want us to figure a solution out together,", Eichel doesn't give the post season interview he does.

Side note: In minor hockey there's a 24 hour rule where you give yourself time to cool off after an incident. Usually cooler heads prevail. Jack went straight from the exit interview to the media... No time there to simmer down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

If Adams takes the "my hands are tied approach, but I want us to figure a solution out together,", Eichel doesn't give the post season interview he does.

Side note: In minor hockey there's a 24 hour rule where you give yourself time to cool off after an incident. Usually cooler heads prevail. Jack went straight from the exit interview to the media... No time there to simmer down.

Great point about Eichel going straight to the media after his exit interview and I agree totally that he didn’t take a moment to cool down. I suspect Eichel wasn’t totally aware of the Sabres’ position vis a vis the insurance issue and he just couldn’t accept the reality of the situation. So I don’t believe he was ever in the frame of mind to hear “let’s figure out a solution together” in the first place. IMO, he got pissed, drew a line in the sand, and he and his former agent set about their propaganda campaign. But as I’ve said repeatedly, I give him credit for wising up, firing his agent, and choosing a more professional one in Brisson, so perhaps there’s still a chance for those cooler heads to prevail after all.

• Like (+1) 2

On 9/22/2021 at 12:25 AM, dudacek said:

Whatever respect he deserves for not caving to a bad offer, is voided by his inability to find a way to make a deal happen.

He seems to have left himself no escape hatch in order to rehabilitate Jack’s value.

Medical compromise seems off the table. He hasn’t been able to make a creative deal involving conditionals or salary dumps materialize. And he’s boxed himself out of allowing Jack a dignified road back to the team by allowing things to get personal. Whatever breaks the logjam is going to come months after it could have, too late to help Granato and the kids execute this seasons plan.

He’s done a good job of making Jack the bad guy, but in the process he’s allowed things to get to this point and he’s failed to execute his job: making the team better.

Tell me I’m wrong.

As someone with a similar injury to Jack, if I were an NHL GM there's no way in hell I would offer anything of value for him. 

20 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

The point of the press conference likely was to answer a 70 days build up worth of Eichel questions.

Adams is too green to pull a shrewd move like Lamoriello and just be silent.

Wait wait wait.... 

They had to have a press conference because of 70 days of silence but Adams is to green to be silent like Lamoriello... Holy ***** this board has lost its freaking mind. 

• Like (+1) 5

7 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

The point of the press conference likely was to answer a 70 days build up worth of Eichel questions.

Adams is too green to pull a shrewd move like Lamoriello and just be silent.

The worst thing that Adams could have done is to refuse to answer any Jack questions. Not answering the biggest issue hovering over this organization wouldn't stop the questions that would continue to follow him now and in the future. The GM gave a status report of where he is with the issue and where the player is with the issue. There's a fundamental disagreement between the parties on the right way to medically proceed. It's hasn't changed. That's where we are. 

Overall, I have no problem with the way the GM has handled this issue. 

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Just as I predicted…same old same old. 😞

And the entire NHL world is watching this unfold.  Players, agents, other executives.  

I can't see another top notch player wanting to come/remain here again unless they start winning.  And the winning part is far off in the future if ever. 

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

The worst thing that Adams could have done is to refuse to answer any Jack questions. Not answering the biggest issue hovering over this organization wouldn't stop the questions that would continue to follow him now and in the future. The GM gave a status report of where he is with the issue and where the player is with the issue. There's a fundamental disagreement between the parties on the right way to medically proceed. It's hasn't changed. That's where we are. 

Overall, I have no problem with the way the GM has handled this issue. 

He didn’t have to refuse to answer questions.

He also didn’t need to concoct a ham-fisted soliloquy on the team’s heart beat and doing right by the steel workers (or whatever) sitting up in the 300s.

Stick to the facts: Jack failed his physical. We disagree on the surgery issue. Jack won’t be here during camp. We continue to explore options that are best for the Sabres. 

The captaincy thing is just theatre. Bad theatre.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

He also didn’t need to concoct a ham-fisted soliloquy on the team’s heart beat and doing right by the steel workers (or whatever) sitting up in the 300s.

Stick to the facts: Jack failed his physical. We disagree on the surgery issue. Jack won’t be here during camp. We continue to explore options that are best for the Sabres. 

I agree that element was ham-fisted.

I also know that a team that cares as much as I do is what I want and what this team hasn't given me for a decade.

I am glad my GM sees that and seems to make it a priority.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

You may be bothered by hearing the reality of the Jack situation but that is where the GM and the organization is at. Jack is not going to be around during this extended interlude of uncertainty regarding his health situation. Bringing up the issue of the captaincy of the absent Jack is not a gratuitous assault on the player. It's an obvious issue that he has clarified. It no longer is a lingering issue because it is now a settled issue. There is nothing wrong with that. 

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, RETURNTOGLORY said:

Eichel changing agents is very telling IMHO. 

My money is him staying a Sabre. 

At this point the ship has sailed beyond the horizon.

I expect Brisson to take an extraordinary step in this unique situation.  He wasn't hired and being paid what he is to stand idly by for his client to remain injured and off-ice for an entire season.

All I know is something's gonna happen from Jack's side.  

9 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

I expect Brisson to take an extraordinary step in this unique situation.  He wasn't hired and being paid what he is to stand idly by for his client to remain injured and off-ice for an entire season.

Brisson is gonna perform the ADR himself?

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

The ship sailed past the horizon got attacked by a sea monster, caught in a cat 5 hurricane, and sank while on fire. It's gone. 

• Haha (+1) 3

I'm going to say this:  The "Eichel situation" is not the most important factor in this team's future success (or lack thereof).  I don't care if he botched it.  I don't care if he gets a bag of pucks for him.  The return from the trade will not be what puts the Sabres over the top.  It's the players on the ice right now, and the ones in the pipeline.  Yes, the Eichel return may be part of that, but not what turns the team around.  Just a minor piece of a much larger plan.

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Brisson is gonna perform the ADR himself?

Episode 4 Hello GIF by The Simpsons

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Bringing up the issue of the captaincy of the absent Jack is not a gratuitous assault on the player. It's an obvious issue that he has clarified. 

He had other options in that regard. "You know, we're going to take things one step at a time. We'll sort out the matter of who will serve as the team's captain once this situation with Jack is resolved."

But it's fair to say that the team was like "you know what? screw it. we don't want to wait. we're not his hostage."

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Jack is refusing to get the ACDF performed per Adams 

I honestly can't say I blame him. I wouldn't want it done either, and I'm not a pro hockey player. I have always thought of this procedure as kinda weird.

A question for someone who might know: have other hockey players had this done? If so, who were they and were they different afterward?

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I honestly can't say I blame him. I wouldn't want it done either, and I'm not a pro hockey player. I have always thought of this procedure as kinda weird.

A question for someone who might know: have other hockey players had this done? If so, who were they and were they different afterward?

The most common one cited is Kris Letang, who came out of it just fine.

But there is another less high-profile guy (Derek Dorsett?) frequently pointed to as an example where it failed.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.