Updated Sabres Prospect Pool 2021 and beyond

GASabresIUFAN

27 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Josh Bloom with a 4 point game including 2 short handed goals, one while killing a 5 on 3.

Bloom knocking Novikov out of the most unheralded, underrated draft pick position.😀

Bloom is interesting. Like Novikov he's a late birthday (June 8th) for his draft year and he's got some size and skill.  Very curious to see what he does now that he's warmed up after being off for a full year. His OHL numbers are so far trending up. 

31 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Bloom is interesting. Like Novikov he's a late birthday (June 8th) for his draft year and he's got some size and skill.  Very curious to see what he does now that he's warmed up after being off for a full year. His OHL numbers are so far trending up. 

He’s seven months older than Shane Wright and is matching Him in points through 15 games 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Levi is .017% higher then the next closest ncaa goalie. 

Levi .949%

Murray .932%

Portillo .927%

Levi is now at 13 games meaning his save percentage is stabilizing and the Reinhart trade is starting to look different to me. 

8 hours ago, Brawndo said:

He’s seven months older than Shane Wright and is matching Him in points through 15 games 

I might have to trust our scoring department? Hell is freezing over. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Josh Bloom with a 4 point game including 2 short handed goals, one while killing a 5 on 3.

Bloom knocking Novikov out of the most unheralded, underrated draft pick position.😀

Kitchener was up 4-0 in this game and could have put it away on those PP chances. Bloom started the comeback and led them to a 6-4 win.

• Like (+1) 2

So, who really knows NCAA hockey?  What is the team like in front of Levi?  What style of game do they play?

It sounds too good to be true? Is that a smothering team in front of him that limits chances to low danger events, or is this kid standing college hockey on its head?

10 minutes ago, Weave said:

So, who really knows NCAA hockey?  What is the team like in front of Levi?  What style of game do they play?

It sounds too good to be true? Is that a smothering team in front of him that limits chances to low danger events, or is this kid standing college hockey on its head?

Not really sure tbh. I do know Northeastern won the Beanpot tournament last year, that’s pretty much it. 

3 minutes ago, Weave said:

His save percentage is awesome but I don’t know how many actual scoring chances he stops. He has made some nice saves on breakaways.

Greg Gardner has the NCAA record of 12 Shutouts in a season.

Ryan Miller is in a group of guys that had 10. Miller’s sophomore season.

Matthew Galajda has the freshman record at 9 while Ryan Miller is next at 8.

Looking at the lists of those top goalies, there are some solid NHLers and a lot of JAGs so…. I’ll take a hit of hopium and wait.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Looking at the lists of those top goalies, there are some solid NHLers and a lot of JAGs so…. I’ll take a hit of hopium and wait.

Pretty much. Goalie prospects are voodoo. 

Of course and obviously you’d rather see good numbers than mediocre but we won’t know anything until he’s playing in the NHL. Predicting prospects is difficult in general but goalies are another animal altogether 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Weave said:

Last year they were a .500 team. They aren’t loaded with vets or scorers or top prospects and they have a rookie coach. They have scored just 30 goals in 13 games, so they aren’t run-and-gun. They seem to keep shots against to respectable totals in most games, but I don’t how that compares across the league.

They were considered solid and competitive entering the season. They started ranked on the periphery of the top 20.

Levi is definitely considered their cornerstone.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2021/10/07_Inside-Hockey-East-Team-.php

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/09/college-hockey-round-up-season-preview.html

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Weave said:

Can’t add much regarding the quality of chances he has faced.

The team in front of him is one of the youngest in D1, tied for 4th youngest, and they are getting outshot, about 47% shot share, and they don’t limit number of shots against to any great degree.

https://www.collegehockeynews.com/stats/#addit

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Brawndo said:

As LGR mentioned Quinn is at 57

Rossi’s must be pretty high too? His points per game is *slightly* higher than Quinn’s this season 

Could get a few really good players from that draft in that range 

edit - WHOOPS just clicked the top tweet haha

Edited by Thorny

17 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Rossi’s must be pretty high too? His points per game is *slightly* higher than Quinn’s this season 

Could get a few really good players from that draft in that range 

edit - WHOOPS just clicked the top tweet haha

The fun part of Perfetti isn't even in the ballpark with Quinn or Rossi

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The fun part of Perfetti isn't even in the ballpark with Quinn or Rossi

Something about Perfetti I didn’t want. He wasn’t very gritty or interested in puck pursuit. At the U20 he was a perimeter player who was hyped but did not produce.

Plus, he has a baby face. LOL

Just now, French Collection said:

Something about Perfetti I didn’t want. He wasn’t very gritty or interested in puck pursuit. At the U20 he was a perimeter player who was hyped but did not produce.

Plus, he has a baby face. LOL

Jets have finally replaced Kyle Wellwood 

• Haha (+1) 2

I don’t recall the last time the Sabres had a prospect with the explosion of JJ Peterka. The kid gets up-ice like he’s shot out out of a cannon. He seems to get a breakaway every game, and a lot of those times the defender didn’t get caught pinching - he’s already started dropping back and JJ just blows past him.

I think you might have to go back to 89 and 16 since we’ve seen that in blue and gold.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don’t recall the last time the Sabres had a prospect with the explosion of JJ Peterka. The kid gets up-ice like he’s shot out out of a cannon. He seems to get a breakaway every game, and a lot of those times the defender didn’t get caught pinching - he’s already started dropping back and JJ just blows past him.

I think you might have to go back to 89 and 16 since we’ve seen that in blue and gold.

Ya, one thing I always said with Eichel was he didn’t seem to get many breakaways. Not as many as you’d think his raw speed should generate. 

Anecdotally I remember Briere getting them fairly often. Of course vs Carolina game 3 comes to mind. But he definitely had that quick little burst. 

Hope Peterka brings that right on up to the nhl level 

- - - 

edit - look at this goal lol. this is one of my favourite goals. I remember thinking we were going to win the series when he scored this. 

look how quickly he reads the play and turns up in the other direction. That's how he gets away. Plus, the breakaway speed WITH the puck. What a goal 

Edited by Thorny

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

🤞🤞🤞

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Levi is full value for his numbers and the main reason North Eastern are where they are. They are opportunistic offensively and try to play structured defensively but Levi drives the bus. I imagine if the backup plays they don’t have a winning record.

The interesting part of Levi is that his Carleton Place, WJC, and college numbers all line up. 3 teams, 3 different environments and he is consistent as can be. The difference between Levi’s numbers at Carleton Place and his backup’s numbers were striking.

• Like (+1) 1

Notable Sabre prospect AHL rookie seasons:

• Thomas Vanek (D+2) 74 42/26/68
  • Tyler Ennis (D+2) 69 23/42/65
  • Luke Adam (D+3) 59 29/33/62
  • Clarke MacArthur (D+3) 69 21/32/53
  • *Drew Stafford (D+3) 34 22/22/44
  • Justin Bailey (D+3) 70 20/25/45
  • Rasmus Asplund (D+3) 75 10/31/41
  • Marcus Foligno (D+3) 60 16/23/39
  • Marek Zagrapan (D+2) 71 17/21/48
  • Mikhail Girgorenko (D+3) 43 14/22/36
  • Jason Pominville (D+2) 73 13/21/34
  • Danny Paille (D+3) 79 14/15/29
  • Alex Nylander (D+1) 65 10/18/28
  • Joel Armia (D+3) 54 7/20/27
  • *Derek Roy (D+3) 26 10/16/26
  • *Zack Kassian (D+3) 30 15/11/26
  • Zemgus Girgensons (D+1) 61 6/11/17

*early call-up

For what it’s worth, our 2020 pair is pacing, over 82 games, for

• Jack Quinn (D+2) 54/48/102
  • JJ Peterka (D+2) 24/60/84

It’s just a start, but it is definitely a notable one.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.