Expansion Draft -- Wed. July 21, 2021 (Release the Kraken)

Hoss

7 minutes ago, Hoss said:

With the trade freeze approaching and all news soon to flow through the expansion draft let’s get this one started.

I remember that Domi had some nice chemistry with Reinhart when they played in the WJC together.  I'm not sure how he's been as a team member (culture wise).  I thought he played well in Montreal. 

2 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Since he's a pending free agent, does he count as their selection or just a free agent signing? 

He counts as their Florida selection. If they sign a pending UFA in their window to do so it counts.

• Thanks (+1) 1

So why aren't we making a deal with Florida (say sending them a 2nd or 3rd round pick) to get Driedger, protect him and expose Tokarski, who Seattle will never select? Both teams would benefit. I'm really puzzled over our lack of attention or urgency to our goaltending situation, and this seems like a golden opportunity to snag a young, promising goaltender without having to make it any part of an Eichel, Reinhart or Risto trade. And if they do have another goaltender in mind to be a piece of one of those trades, then Driedger would probably be an excellent backup candidate. Am I missing something?

• Like (+1) 5

12 minutes ago, SDBillsfan said:

So why aren't we making a deal with Florida (say sending them a 2nd or 3rd round pick) to get Driedger, protect him and expose Tokarski, who Seattle will never select? Both teams would benefit. I'm really puzzled over our lack of attention or urgency to our goaltending situation, and this seems like a golden opportunity to snag a young, promising goaltender without having to make it any part of an Eichel, Reinhart or Risto trade. And if they do have another goaltender in mind to be a piece of one of those trades, then Driedger would probably be an excellent backup candidate. Am I missing something?

Because Driedger isn’t worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick (you ask to pay that price for him but then call him a backup candidate - backups aren’t worth that price).

• Hoss changed the title to Expansion Draft 2021 (Release the Kraken)
1 minute ago, Hoss said:

Because Driedger isn’t worth a 2nd or 3rd round pick (you ask to pay that price for him but then call him a backup candidate - backups aren’t worth that price).

idk. With an open goalie slot I'd give up that 3rd if his price point was in the range we wanted. We need 2 goalies, not just 1. A 3rd is no big deal. Florida however, might not want this to happen. They might prefer the Kraken take him so they don't lose somebody else rather than getting a pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

idk. With an open goalie slot I'd give up that 3rd if his price point was in the range we wanted. We need 2 goalies, not just 1. A 3rd is no big deal. Florida however, might not want this to happen. They might prefer the Kraken take him so they don't lose somebody else rather than getting a pick. 

We can get guys better than Driedger without paying the 3rd rounder.

2 minutes ago, SDBillsfan said:

Also, why would we not rather have someone like Driedger who can play right away in a league in which he's had some success, than a third rounder that, if we're lucky, might contribute in some way four years down the line? 

Because, again, we can get a goalie that is ready to play right now without giving up a third rounder.

Here’s a handy list: https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/goaltender/ufa/

36 minutes ago, SDBillsfan said:

What I think you're missing is that if Florida trades Driedger to Buffalo for a 3rd, they will still lose another player to Seattle. In your hypo, they now lose 2 players and get back a 3rd, instead of losing 1 player.

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, rakish said:

What I think you're missing is that if Florida trades Driedger to Buffalo for a 3rd, they will still lose another player to Seattle. In your hypo, they now lose 2 players and get back a 3rd, instead of losing 1 player.

And even if the Sabres add Tokarski to the deal, Florida still loses another player, because there's no way Seattle takes Tokarski.

I get that Florida is almost certainly wanting to protect another skater from being selected, that makes complete sense. I guess I'm just baffled by KA not taking advantage of the expansion situation to pluck a goalie from a team that needs to expose one that would certainly be better than anyone we currently have. Hopefully we get an answer soon.

48 minutes ago, SDBillsfan said:

Plus you have to sign him. It would be no different than protecting Ullmark.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SDBillsfan said:

You want Buffalo to tradea 2nd/3rd for a UFA, who then goes on to sign with Seattle?

From Florida’s perspective it’s either loose Drieger for nothing, or loose Drieger for a 2nd/3rd and loose some other player for nothing.

Its logical that maybe they would rather just loose Drieger, who was probably leaving regardless, and keep the rest of their team together.

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Why? Spencer Knight is better and cheaper and they have Bob forever at a massive number.

He’s saying the price for them to get rid of Bob would’ve been a lot. They probably would’ve had to include a first to dump his contract. And he has a NMC so he could just refuse to move.

3 hours ago, SDBillsfan said:

Because Florida lost Marchessault AND Riley Smith last time.  They have 2 better goalies, though 1 is long in the tooth and VERY expensive.  They'd rather lose their 3rd goalie (who they'll end up losing anyway even without an expansion draft as he's not going to re-sign to be their AHL affiliate goalie) and NO skaters than lose him and a skater at the price of gaining a 3rd round pick.  The 3rd rounder isn't equivalent value to Dreiger nor the other guy they'd then lose. 

If all these reports are true then Seattle could set themselves up quite nicely.

Top six:

Donskoi - Duchene - Tarasenko

Gourde - Domi - Voracek

Then they should be getting solid defense and goaltending.

I know some stupid stuff will happen and they’ll pass on guys like Voracek and other names above to avoid taking on salary but they could actually build another very good expansion team right off the bat.

Edited by Hoss
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If all these reports are true then Seattle could set themselves up quite nicely.

Top six:

Donskoi - Duchene - Tarasenko

Gourde - Domi - Voracek

Then they should be getting solid defense and goaltending.

I know some stupid stuff will happen and they’ll pass on guys like Voracek and other names above to avoid taking on salary but they could actually build another very good expansion team right off the bat.

I really think that they will have a very good team from the start.  Maybe not Vegas good, but the league has set up this expansion draft and FA signing period pretty much the same way they did for Vegas, I think.

22 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I really think that they will have a very good team from the start.  Maybe not Vegas good, but the league has set up this expansion draft and FA signing period pretty much the same way they did for Vegas, I think.

If they WANT it they can have a better team on paper than Vegas but obviously accomplishing what Vegas did will be very hard to match. If St. Louis doesn’t have a deal in place I’d be livid if Seattle just let him sit there and allowed the Blues to get away with it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.