Expansion draft timeline and roster freezes

LGR4GM

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Who are we exposing for this draft ?

Hopefully the front office doesn’t get exposed.  Hearing they haven’t even asked Skinner to waive his NMC for the expansion draft is discouraging.  Hearing they are talking with the Kraken about Okposo is perplexing and also discouraging.  I figured with Ventura and Karmanos aboard, this kinda of stuff would be history.  

We can't over think this.  We are going to lose 1 player.  I'd love for them to take KO or Miller off our hands.  I'd give them a small incentive to take KO (6th rd pick) and none to take Miller.  What is the worst they can do to us?  Take Borgen or Bjork.  Enjoy!

You protect

At Forward Skinner, Eichel, Reinhart, VO, Mitts, Asplund & Thompson.  Then they can choose from Girgensons, Eakin, KO, Bjork and other garbage.

On Defense:  Dahlin, Jokiharju and Risto.  They can choose from Miller and Borgen (and his 14 games of NHL experience.)

Not exactly a list of NHL great to grace their expansion team.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

It's really one of the few silver linings about being as bad as we have - we literally do not need to worry about the expansion draft and should not - we will almost certainly gain from it relative to the league at large as most teams will be losing better players than us as we have a weaker roster than most. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's really one of the few silver linings about being as bad as we have - we literally do not need to worry about the expansion draft and should not - we will almost certainly gain from it relative to the league at large as most teams will be losing better players than us as we have a weaker roster than most. 

Yup.  Won’t matter who we lose.  We’ll never notice it on the ice.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We can't over think this.  We are going to lose 1 player.  I'd love for them to take KO or Miller off our hands.  I'd give them a small incentive to take KO (6th rd pick) and none to take Miller.  What is the worst they can do to us?  Take Borgen or Bjork.  Enjoy!

You protect

At Forward Skinner, Eichel, Reinhart, VO, Mitts, Asplund & Thompson.  Then they can choose from Girgensons, Eakin, KO, Bjork and other garbage.

On Defense:  Dahlin, Jokiharju and Risto.  They can choose from Miller and Borgen (and his 14 games of NHL experience.)

Not exactly a list of NHL great to grace their expansion team.

I think this is the way it will shake out except that Bjork will be protected instead of Asplund.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Not if we use analytics to help make the decision.

Just curious as to what analytics you would be referencing?  I don't have access (that I know of) to anything other then corsi/fenwick type stuff, and they are pretty close in those categories.

Not surprisingly, Bjork's corsi/fenwick #s were better in Boston (as were Hall's and Lazar's).   

I would protect Asplund over Bjork, because he is 16 months younger and can also play centre. 

1 hour ago, Archie Lee said:

Just curious as to what analytics you would be referencing?  I don't have access (that I know of) to anything other then corsi/fenwick type stuff, and they are pretty close in those categories.

Not surprisingly, Bjork's corsi/fenwick #s were better in Boston (as were Hall's and Lazar's).   

I would protect Asplund over Bjork, because he is 16 months younger and can also play centre. 

Sadly IMHO analytics are somewhat dependent on who you play for however Asplund's offense stats are some of the best on the team despite starting 60% of the time in the D zone.  His corsi and fenwick are both better then Bjork, yet somehow Bjork received more PT.  

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sadly IMHO analytics are somewhat dependent on who you play for however Asplund's offense stats are some of the best on the team despite starting 60% of the time in the D zone.  His corsi and fenwick are both better then Bjork, yet somehow Bjork received more PT.  

Go ahead, @Doohickie

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

You're apparently remembering something I forgot many beers ago.

I don't think it's fair to the board, and Asplund, that the NHL hasn't scheduled him for games of late. He hasn't had a chance to pot one. 

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

Well, unless they work out a deal to make sure a vet is selected (how sweet would it be to have them go off the board for a 4th & Tokarski) the Sabres will lose Bjork or Borgen.

Adams has been talking up Bjork, so maybe that's part of a campaign to convince Seattle he'll be another Carrier.

Losing Borgen WILL likely hurt, as he should be able to be a 2nd pairing stay at home D-man, but it won't be like losing a true top pairing D-man.

This all presumes the trading of 1-3 of the "big 3" happens on entry draft day.  Should any get moved before then, the Sabres likely get to protect B&B.

But, the stinking draft SHOULD'VE happened last off-season & the Sabres wouldn't even have lost either B nor B.  Hutton would've been the selection as had been planned when he was signed.  There was absolutely NOTHING of value the Sabres had to expose that year.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Well, unless they work out a deal to make sure a vet is selected (how sweet would it be to have them go off the board for a 4th & Tokarski) the Sabres will lose Bjork or Borgen.

Adams has been talking up Bjork, so maybe that's part of a campaign to convince Seattle he'll be another Carrier.

Losing Borgen WILL likely hurt, as he should be able to be a 2nd pairing stay at home D-man, but it won't be like losing a true top pairing D-man.

This all presumes the trading of 1-3 of the "big 3" happens on entry draft day.  Should any get moved before then, the Sabres likely get to protect B&B.

But, the stinking draft SHOULD'VE happened last off-season & the Sabres wouldn't even have lost either B nor B.  Hutton would've been the selection as had been planned when he was signed.  There was absolutely NOTHING of value the Sabres had to expose that year.

There is no one we are going to lose that will hurt.  Borgen is 24 and has 14 games of NHL experience (with zero points).  I like this player, but projecting him as anything more then a 3rd pairing guy is over enthusiasm at this point.   Samuelsson does everything Borgen does just better.  Asplund if left exposed is the only player I can say we might miss, but he is replaceable as well.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

There is no one we are going to lose that will hurt.  Borgen is 24 and has 14 games of NHL experience (with zero points).  I like this player, but projecting him as anything more then a 3rd pairing guy is over enthusiasm at this point.   Samuelsson does everything Borgen does just better.  Asplund if left exposed is the only player I can say we might miss, but he is replaceable as well.  

It's not going to be crippling, but losing Borgen will hurt.  They need to have 2 stay at home D-men & Borgen can fill one of those slots for a fairly long time & will likely grow into being solid in a top 4 role.

It's kind of interesting that you absolutely decry the McNabb trade but are ho-hum about Borgen.  McNabb is solid, but he was 'meh' for a long time.  Including when he was on LA's top pair with Daughty.  He was FIFTH in ice time on those teams and was rarely, if ever, used in crunch time.

Should they be dumb enough to expose Asplund, Francis would be foolish not to jump on that option.  He'll never be a top 6 guy but he'll be a high end bottom 6 guy.  The sort of player that top end teams have keeping the other teams on their toes.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.