Five things I need to see to validate the Sabres being fully in on analytics

inkman

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You did imply that. You and Hoss have both implied it or basically said it recently that ppl got bored of Power and went looking for issues. That isn't the case but what is the case is you made your minds up about Power and that's it, there's not logical conversation because if I mention Power in any way, it is "well rabble rabble grrr". 

IMPO stands more In My Personal Opinion. 

And I do have fun looking at the numbers because they tell you a lot about what a player is actually doing and if the eyes don't match the numbers or the numbers don't match the eyes... there's a problem. In Power's case, the eyes and numbers match, they just aren't as grandiose as you and Hoss are making Power out to be. Now is where both of you jump in because I didn't say "Power is the greatest thing since Betty White". 

You still need to relax. You seem to feel that if someone disagrees with you it's a personal attack and it's not. We simply have very different ways of looking at hockey, and that's okay. I'm fine with that and you should be too. 

I truly believe Power is Shea Weber good. At worst Pieterangelo good and in either case that's something this team can build out from. I truly wish we had a solid goalie to put behind him and if UPL becomes that we are going to be a really hard team to score against if we get even mid level forwards. I see the possibility of a completely different looking Buffalo Sabres and it gives me hope. 

Here's an upside to consider. We draft Power and he goes back to Michigan for a year. UPL plays a year in Rochester. We trade the entire core for prospects and finish dead last and get first pick again. We draft Shane Wright, who unlike Beniers really is the next Bergeron. And that's if things go south. The other scenario is we start to get better already. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, rakish said:

My girlfriend's parents acted exactly the same way when we first met

😂 I inadvertently clicked on it.  The birds and chirping noises, the Apple stock analysis, it really had me confused.  I thought I was being hacked.  It’s pretty funny now. 

good work btw.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

You still need to relax. You seem to feel that if someone disagrees with you it's a personal attack and it's not. We simply have very different ways of looking at hockey, and that's okay. I'm fine with that and you should be too. 

I truly believe Power is Shea Weber good. At worst Pieterangelo good and in either case that's something this team can build out from. I truly wish we had a solid goalie to put behind him and if UPL becomes that we are going to be a really hard team to score against if we get even mid level forwards. I see the possibility of a completely different looking Buffalo Sabres and it gives me hope. 

Here's an upside to consider. We draft Power and he goes back to Michigan for a year. UPL plays a year in Rochester. We trade the entire core for prospects and finish dead last and get first pick again. We draft Shane Wright, who unlike Beniers really is the next Bergeron. And that's if things go south. The other scenario is we start to get better already. 

I mean ya, if he's going to be a first-ballot Hall of Famer, we definitely should be picking him at 1

The problem with watching someone else’s opinion or reading someone else’s opinion is they have gone into that publication knowing their thoughts and thus are, essentially, presenting thoughts with bias. If what you’re consuming is their process set over the course of time that they gathered the info and present it in real time then you are getting a more legitimate look at what information they have and why they got to a certain point.

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The problem with watching someone else’s opinion or reading someone else’s opinion is they have gone into that publication knowing their thoughts and thus are, essentially, presenting thoughts with bias. If what you’re consuming is their process set over the course of time that they gathered the info and present it in real time then you are getting a more legitimate look at what information they have and why they got to a certain point.

... that's one way to twist this

26 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I’ve just been leery of Power since his named graced our ear holes.  I couldn’t figure out how to present it. While I think Scouch is a bit unlikeable, I believe what he’s saying more than I don’t. 

26 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’ve just been leery of Power since his named graced our ear holes.  I couldn’t figure out how to present it. While I think Scouch is a bit unlikeable, I believe what he’s saying more than I don’t. 

I've watched way too much of Power. The hype doesn't match the eye test. 

11 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If only analytics people actually believed data was “just another piece of the equation.”

Who are the “analytics people “ you are talking about?  People who work in the NHL?  People who are actually professionals in the field of data analysis in sports/hockey?  Or people on Twitter?

54 minutes ago, Curt said:

Who are the “analytics people “ you are talking about?  People who work in the NHL?  People who are actually professionals in the field of data analysis in sports/hockey?  Or people on Twitter?

Nerds

• Thanks (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Nerds

I'm the nerdiest of the nerds who does math contests for fun.  I can not think of anything dumber about sports than to ignore heart, coachability, etc.  (I also believe that, if you try hard enough, you can quantify these things to some extent.)  I also don't know anyone credible (repeat: credible) who believes in using analytics who thinks they are the be-all, end-all of player analysis.  (We have a yutz in the Buffalo media who says nonsense like, "I can look at the analytics of the game and tell who played well without having watched it.")  Please clarify.

17 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I'm the nerdiest of the nerds who does math contests for fun.  I can not think of anything dumber about sports than to ignore heart, coachability, etc.  (I also believe that, if you try hard enough, you can quantify these things to some extent.)  I also don't know anyone credible (repeat: credible) who believes in using analytics who thinks they are the be-all, end-all of player analysis.  (We have a yutz in the Buffalo media who says nonsense like, "I can look at the analytics of the game and tell who played well without having watched it.")  Please clarify.

I agree completely, nerd.

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

“I don’t get analytics” so I’m gonna just name call to cover up my ignorance to data collection. 😂

Truth be told, half the analytics stuff I see here and other sources I get … the other half I’m like …

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952f1c3b7b7264341925f

Definitely take it very seriously.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Truth be told, half the analytics stuff I see here and other sources I get … the other half I’m like …

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952f1c3b7b7264341925f

Would you believe pre-analytics data analysis?

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan

Doesn't matter who the Sabres pick half of SS will be upset. This draft has no standouts as they are all more or less a crap shoot. I'm assuming they will take one of Power, Eklund, Beniers. I don't care which one it is,  none of them would be considered in the top 5 next year.

Edited by woods-racer
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.