Rene Robert has died.

Eleven

29 minutes ago, jsb said:

Larry Quinn was, is, & in all likelihood forever shall be a self-centered ###### nozzle.

He earned the image he has, regardless of how supporters of his may try to put a shine on that steaming pile.

Suppose Larry Playfair begged him & Seymour IV to play in the old timers game they held in the Aud around the time ground was broken on the MMArena as well?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Larry Quinn was, is, & in all likelihood forever shall be a self-centered ###### nozzle.

He earned the image he has, regardless of how supporters of his may try to put a shine on that steaming pile.

Suppose Larry Playfair begged him & Seymour IV to play in the old timers game they held in the Aud around the time ground was broken on the MMArena as well?

On the other hand, he was the one who recruited B. Thomas Golisano when the previous ownership group fell through.  The same negative characteristics always have their upside.

Listening to Rochester radio on the drive home after work.  The radio host announcing the passing pronounced his last name as the first name Robert would be pronounced.  I was yelling at my radio.  Someone really should have clued him in before he read that.

He got the Rene pronunciation right at least.

Edited by Weave

Rene Robert was a clutch playoff performer whose acquisition put the Sabres over the top. His career was resurrected in Buffalo, like Danny Briere. The chemistry between the French Connection was amazing. Robert made it all work for both of his linemates. It was a happy time in the 1970s. The Sabres were the expansion team everyone patterned itself after, making it to the finals in four years, much like the Golden Knights. Then Buffalo ran into the Islanders, who out-Sabred the Sabres. It's too bad they couldn't get a couple more guys and a good goalie for that 74-75 team...we could have won it all.

In the French article from Trois Rivieres it said that he thought it was indigestion and was in pain 3-4 days seemingly before going to the hospital...at least that's what the translation seems to say. Rene say hi to Rico up there for us and celebrate with a stogie and a bud. Rest in peace Rene, much too soon. 

https://www.lenouvelliste.ca/sports/rene-robert-nest-plus-b0ba448e6dc3d1a140c38f48e930fc4b

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Kong said:

Rene Robert was a clutch playoff performer whose acquisition put the Sabres over the top. His career was resurrected in Buffalo, like Danny Briere. The chemistry between the French Connection was amazing. Robert made it all work for both of his linemates. It was a happy time in the 1970s. The Sabres were the expansion team everyone patterned itself after, making it to the finals in four years, much like the Golden Knights. Then Buffalo ran into the Islanders, who out-Sabred the Sabres. It's too bad they couldn't get a couple more guys and a good goalie for that 74-75 team...we could have won it all.

In the French article from Trois Rivieres it said that he thought it was indigestion and was in pain 3-4 days seemingly before going to the hospital...at least that's what the translation seems to say. Rene say hi to Rico up there for us and celebrate with a stogie and a bud. Rest in peace Rene, much too soon. 

https://www.lenouvelliste.ca/sports/rene-robert-nest-plus-b0ba448e6dc3d1a140c38f48e930fc4b

To the bolded, really hope that isn't the case because his death will have been completely avoidable at this time.  That would be truly tragic.

Edited by Taro T

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

To the bolded, really hope that isn't the case because his death will have been completely avoidable at this time.  That would be truly tragic.

My cardiologist told me that people do not take the warning signs of impending strokes or heart attacks seriously enough.  It is easier psychologically to view one or more of indigestion, soreness, heartburn, etc. as an irritant rather than a warning.  He recommends learning to tell when your body is telling you about various issues.  During illness, exercise, eating, etc., I have learnt when my body is telling me something is really wrong versus just stressed, say, from a Zumba class.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 6/22/2021 at 8:49 PM, Carmel Corn said:

RIP to another great one!  I hope the Sabres do something really special to recognize him in a packed house early next season.

It would be great if they did it for the 14th home game of the season.

I am truly saddened. To this day, 'The French Connection' are my most cherished Sabres memory. I was a 6 (and 7) year old kid during the team's inaugural season in 1970. My dad, a Dunkirk native, had recently gotten out of the Air Force and moved us back to WNY that year after a brief stay in Warren, PA. I spent my formidable years growing up as a diehard Bills, Sabres, and Buffalo Braves fan in the 1970s and those Sabre teams will forever hold a special place in my heart. RIP, Mr. Robert. You were a class act and a great ambassador of the Buffalo Sabres. You will be missed but never forgotten. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Maybe one of my fellow oldtimers has the answer to this...

Who gave the line, the name “French Connection”?

Well I know it was named after the Gene Hackman/Roy Schneider flick. But who adopted that moniker? Was it Punch?

For those of you too young to have experienced it, the Sabres actually won on a regular basis during the 70s. I feel bad for Sabres fans who only know the record-setting losing. This is back when we was good.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

8 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Maybe one of my fellow oldtimers has the answer to this...

Who gave the line, the name “French Connection”?

Lee Coppola of The Buffalo News. The story is a little murky, but former PR man Paul Wieland explained that Lee worked with him in the press box to write messages for the board that was positioned on the face of the balcony in the Aud.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

On 6/23/2021 at 6:38 PM, Weave said:

Listening to Rochester radio on the drive home after work.  The radio host announcing the passing pronounced his last name as the first name Robert would be pronounced.  I was yelling at my radio.  Someone really should have clued him in before he read that.

He got the Rene pronunciation right at least.

Rochester is a nice little town but this doesn’t surprise me.  

I’ve probably mentioned this in years past, but....

On a related 1970’s Buffalo sports note, the four or five years when OJ, McAdoo and Perreault were here at the same time, were just terrific times to be a Buffalo sports fan. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I’ve probably mentioned this in years past, but....

On a related 1970’s Buffalo sports note, the four or five years when OJ, McAdoo and Perreault were here at the same time, were just terrific times to be a Buffalo sports fan. 

Even if you mentioned it in the past, it is still worth noting.  Every home game was a chance to be dazzled by one of the best players in the game.  I encourage everyone to find highlight reels and old games of the 1972-80 Sabres, the 1973-76 Braves, and the 1972-77 Bills.  We got to watch that every single game.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/23/2021 at 11:07 AM, PASabreFan said:

In his book, Bob Swados called Rene a "clubhouse lawyer." So his advocacy for the fans during the Quinn years was not surprising. And I'm sure some of the quotes leaked to The Athletic came straight from Robert.

His trade to Colorado Bowman's first offseason (Oct. 1979) marked the beginning of the end of the 70s Sabres.

I've mellowed with age, and when I see Scotty interviewed, he seems like a good guy, but I still can't forgive him for crashing into town like a hurricane and blowing up that team.  The idea of trading Rico, RR, Gare and Schoeny still infuriates me.  Who TF did he think he was?

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I've mellowed with age, and when I see Scotty interviewed, he seems like a good guy, but I still can't forgive him for crashing into town like a hurricane and blowing up that team.  The idea of trading Rico, RR, Gare and Schoeny still infuriates me.  Who TF did he think he was?

Kevin Adams, cleaning out the culture and refreshing a core that needed it?

17 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Robert had a good first year in Colorado, but his career was pretty much over. The original core wasn't winning when it counted, so I think Bowman had the right idea. Of course his first year was the team's best shot at a Cup since '75, so there's that. Important to note that the others you mention weren't traded until 1981. We ended up with Housley, Barrasso and Andreychuk. The results should have been better. Sound familiar?

I think your beef is an emotional, not a logical one.

44 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Robert had a good first year in Colorado, but his career was pretty much over. The original core wasn't winning when it counted, so I think Bowman had the right idea. Of course his first year was the team's best shot at a Cup since '75, so there's that. Important to note that the others you mention weren't traded until 1981. We ended up with Housley, Barrasso and Andreychuk. The results should have been better. Sound familiar?

From 1974-78, the Sabres' biggest weakness was in goal.  The other 4 top teams (Montreal, Philadelphia, Boston, New York Islanders) had better goaltending; from 1975-9, they also had better depth because the Sabres' top depth jumped to the WHA.  1978-9 showed that the Sabres needed some changes.  So Bowman's evaluation was correct.

His cure, though, was worse than the disease.  His handling of Rico was unforgivable.  His trades of the veterans were a net negative.  And, quoting _The Klein and Reif Hockey Compendium_, "he wheedled deft trades for high draft choices -- only to expand them on [Eastern Bloc] players who remain vague rumours and juniors unable to move up from the AHL."  And, "he turned an exciting Sabres club at most one player away from being a serious Cup threat and, in seven years, ran them down into a drab, last place submediocrity.

So if you wonder why we oldsters  are upset with him, now you know.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

From 1974-78, the Sabres' biggest weakness was in goal.  The other 4 top teams (Montreal, Philadelphia, Boston, New York Islanders) had better goaltending; from 1975-9, they also had better depth because the Sabres' top depth jumped to the WHA.  1978-9 showed that the Sabres needed some changes.  So Bowman's evaluation was correct.

His cure, though, was worse than the disease.  His handling of Rico was unforgivable.  His trades of the veterans were a net negative.  And, quoting _The Klein and Reif Hockey Compendium_, "he wheedled deft trades for high draft choices -- only to expand them on [Eastern Bloc] players who remain vague rumours and juniors unable to move up from the AHL."  And, "he turned an exciting Sabres club at most one player away from being a serious Cup threat and, in seven years, ran them down into a drab, last place submediocrity.

I don't wonder. I was there.

nfreeman wasn't upset with how Bowman rebuilt the Sabres, just that he decided they needed to be rebuilt.

Trading for Buddy Cloutier on draft day 1983 was a disaster.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Kevin Adams, cleaning out the culture and refreshing a core that needed it?

Sir. 

The Sabres won at least 1 round in the playoffs every year from 74-75 to 80-81 except once -- so 6 out of 7 years -- and made the conf finals twice and the SC finals once.

Comparing that culture to the current abomination is a bridge too far.

Please report to the principal's office immediately.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I can't argue with the bolded, but I'm still PO'd.  I loved that team.  Those were my childhood heroes that Scotty sent away.  And as you alluded to, it didn't produce anything worthwhile.  The Sabres' playoff results got worse, not better -- they won one stinking playoff round from 1982 to 1992. 

Just like when the Bills thought they were so clever and released Thurman, Bruce and Andre, and immediately embarked on a 20-year playoff drought.

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Perfectly stated.

As for Rico, he was my favorite player.  Clinically, even though Rico had 45 goals the previous year, Scotty did well in assessing the situation and deciding that Rico's knee injury and age made it highly likely that he was done -- and he turned him into Barrasso, which on paper is an enormous win.

But this wasn't fantasy hockey, and this was Rico.  For an expansion team, and a city in love with that team, there was only one Perreault, but there was also only one Rico.

It stands with Black Sunday as the worst betrayal in Sabres history.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm an ebay dealer and just made a sale, so I went down to the basement and got the item out of inventory and I'll ship it tomorrow. One other item I dredged up from the basement was a dented orange tube full of posters that were all rolled up inside. So I brought it upstairs and started looking through it...a bunch of silent movie posters, an original Apollo 11 poster, some other posters and this one below, which sent the chills down my spine.

thumbnail.jpg

Edited by Kong
  • Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Kong said:

I'm an ebay dealer and just made a sale, so I went down to the basement and got the item out of inventory and I'll ship it tomorrow. One other item I dredged up from the basement was a dented orange tube full of posters that were all rolled up inside. So curious, I brought it upstairs and started looking through it. I haven't seen the contents of this tube in a few decades. So I was checking out the posters...a bunch of silent movie posters, an original Apollo 11 poster, some miscellaneous poster and this one, which sent the chills right down my spine.

thumbnail.jpg

Awesome.

Is that Tiger Williams chasing him?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.