Rene Robert has died.

Eleven

I used to play high school hockey at the Aud.  One Sunday morning, our game was cancelled because some of the Sabres wanted to practice.  Some of us decided to stick around and watch the Sabres practice.  One of my teammates decided to ask the Sabres if they needed another player.  The Sabres said sure come on out.  So my teammate laced up and climbed out on to the ice.  My teammate was able to play with the Sabres for a few minutes until an Aud staffer caught on and told him to get off the ice.

Rene Robert was one of the players!

The fog goal was a classic!

The French Connection made the Sabres formidable!

Farewell Rene, thanks for the wonderful memories!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

11 hours ago, KC Scouts said:

Imagine a second grader listening on a transistor radio on a school night (when he is supposed to be sleeping) in May 1975 and he hears his beloved Sabres win their Stanley Cup final game in OT… Thank-You Rene Robert for the memories…RIP

You remind me of this story from my youth.

When I was five, after showing no interest in electronics whatsoever, I asked for a do-it-yourself radio for Christmas.  A month or so later, my parents heard a noise from my bedroom well after my 8pm bedtime.  They opened the door to find that I had a game against Vancouver on the radio.  Probably where my insomnia began.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Great stories.  I started those early years in the Aud with the Bisons.  Loved them and loved the Aud.  

The Sabres were all the rage in 1970.  Gil, Punch, and raising the roof.  

Punch drafted Martin mostly because he knew he skate with him.  They tried many on RW.   Robert clicked immediately.  The sting of losing fan favorite Eddie “the Entertainer “ Shack was barely a mosquito bite.  

Rene really played a balanced game. He did everything well and he had some sandpaper to his game too.  I met him several times.  Cool dude and a polite gentleman.  Nice 70’s haircut and Stache. He loved being a Sabre.  I am sure the current state of this franchise was disturbing to him.  

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I remember when we used to have signatures here, that for the longest time, I had an exchange between Rene Robert and Larry Quinn as my signature,  that ended with Robert putting Quinn in his place. 😂

He was making a point that  Quinn was qualified to run a business but had no hockey experience.  He said something like “what qualifies you to run a hockey team?”   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

In his book, Bob Swados called Rene a "clubhouse lawyer." So his advocacy for the fans during the Quinn years was not surprising. And I'm sure some of the quotes leaked to The Athletic came straight from Robert.

His trade to Colorado Bowman's first offseason (Oct. 1979) marked the beginning of the end of the 70s Sabres.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I remember when we used to have signatures here, that for the longest time, I had an exchange between Rene Robert and Larry Quinn as my signature,  that ended with Robert putting Quinn in his place. 😂

One of the, if not the, best sig here. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

My wife told me that when she was 12, she rode her bike from Alden to Danny Gare's house.

35 years later, she was working on a fundraiser for Roswell Park with the Buffalo Sabres alumni and goes up to Gare asking if he remembered the incident.  Gare did and called over Robert to ask if Rene remembered Danny telling him about the crazy kid riding her bike to say "hi" to him.  Robert nodded, looked at my wife, and said, "he was right -- you were crazy!  And what the hell did your parents have to say about it?"  Gare had told everyone in the dressing room about it over the years.  Rene brought others over as Gare was talking with my wife.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

He was making a point that  Quinn was qualified to run a business but had no hockey experience.  He said something like “what qualifies you to run a hockey team?”   

I remember that! Quinn treated him like persona non grata.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.