Rene Robert has died.

Eleven

3 hours ago, Spun said:

Robert led the Sabres in goal scoring (5) in their very first playoff series in the 1972-73 season.  One of those goals was the OT winner in Game Five.  The game was interesting in part because of a bizarre measurement of Hab’s goalie Ken Dryden pads that led to a Sabres power play into OT.   While not scoring on the PP, the game winner followed soon after.

The French Connection was one of the greatest lines in NHL history.

I can still hear the announcement of the goal in my head: 9:18 of the first overtime period.

I remember Robert broke the shutout in game 6.  And, of course, I remember Rico's goal with 12 seconds left.

Aside: I am lucky enough to have a friend's audio tape of the third period of game 6 of the 1973 series against Montreal.  In 1989, I was a the Clarion Writers' Workshop in Lansing Michigan (hey, my activity fee went to that, so why not?) where we were to write a brief short story around an exercise from Damon Knight's Creating Short Fiction about an incident from our childhood which was meaningful to us and to examine why.  So I picked the fans and the players for "Thank you, Sabres."  I wrote a fictional story about who was the first person to yell that, how it caught on, and how the players reacted, and the post-game interviews.

"First Buffalo goal scored by number 14, Rene Robert.  Unassisted.  Robert, unassisted.  Time 11:41."

"Second Buffalo goal score by number 7, Rick Martin.  Assists to number 8, Jim Lorentz, and number 11, Gil Perreault.  Martin, from Lorentz and Perreault.  Time 19:48."

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I can still hear the announcement of the goal in my head: 9:18 of the first overtime period.

I remember Robert broke the shutout in game 6.  And, of course, I remember Rico's goal with 12 seconds left.

Aside: I am lucky enough to have a friend's audio tape of the third period of game 6 of the 1973 series against Montreal.  In 1989, I was a the Clarion Writers' Workshop in Lansing Michigan (hey, my activity fee went to that, so why not?) where we were to write a brief short story around an exercise from Damon Knight's Creating Short Fiction about an incident from our childhood which was meaningful to us and to examine why.  So I picked the fans and the players for "Thank you, Sabres."  I wrote a fictional story about who was the first person to yell that, how it caught on, and how the players reacted, and the post-game interviews.

"First Buffalo goal scored by number 14, Rene Robert.  Unassisted.  Robert, unassisted.  Time 11:41."

"Second Buffalo goal score by number 7, Rick Martin.  Assists to number 8, Jim Lorentz, and number 11, Gil Perreault.  Martin, from Lorentz and Perreault.  Time 19:48."

Cool story!  

Most of my memories of Sabres games were from radio calls.  I used to have one radio on the Sabres games and my transistor under my pillow broadcasting the Braves games.  I needed a third ear to listen for my mother coming up the stairs!  She used to find me asleep with both radios on! She would get so angry!  But she was the one who turned me on to hockey as she was a Buffalo Bisons 🦬 fan!  Once sports was out of the bag there was no point of return!

One of my favorite Sabres calls was the last game of the ‘72-73 regular season when the Sabres locked up their first playoff birth!

”The Sabres have won!  The Sabres have won!”...

The calls from the Montreal forum were also cool!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/19/2021 at 6:10 PM, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

This brought back so many WARM memories of my youth. Thanks

• Like (+1) 1

• Eleven locked and unlocked this topic
  • Eleven changed the title to Rene Robert has died.

So.  My kid sis had this huge crush on Robert.  When Bowman, in a fit of idiocy, traded him for John van Boxmeer, my sister quickly affiliated herself with the Penguins, because Penguins were cute.  

Of course she grew up and understands that the Sabres are the true team.

But it was funny for a year when she was little.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.