Rene Robert has died.

Eleven

On 6/25/2021 at 9:58 AM, nfreeman said:

I've mellowed with age, and when I see Scotty interviewed, he seems like a good guy, but I still can't forgive him for crashing into town like a hurricane and blowing up that team.  The idea of trading Rico, RR, Gare and Schoeny still infuriates me.  Who TF did he think he was?

Bowman coached team Canada and he broke up the French Connection.  Rene and Scotty had a few words, not good for Rene. Bowman shipped him out quickly. 

Gare, Terry Martin and Tony McKegney did a lot of partying ( back room of Mulligans on Hertel) and Bowman did not like it. 

Rico had that serious knee injury, he claimed that Bowman pushed him back too soon.  Rico was damaged when Bowman shipped him to the Kings.  Rico was on a HOF trajectory.  

Edited by Pimlach

14 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Bowman coached team Canada and he broke up the French Connection.  Rene and Scotty had a few words, not good for Rene. Bowman shipped him out quickly. 

Gare, Terry Martin and Tony McKegney did a lot of partying ( back room of Mulligans on Hertel) and Bowman did not like it. 

Rico had that serious knee injury, he claimed that Bowman pushed him back too soon.  Rico was damaged when Bowman shipped him to the Kings.  Rico was on a HOF trajectory.  

Rico was a definite HoFer if he stayed in the league 4 more years. But sports involves some luck--and many of us get an injury..and get stopped in our tracks.Thats life.

• Like (+1) 2

This thread is unpinned.  I hope you all get to hear this.   Please take a few minutes to play it.  It summarizes how great the Sabres and the Aud experience was for us in the 70’s. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

This thread is unpinned.  I hope you all get to hear this.   Please take a few minutes to play it.  It summarizes how great the Sabres and the Aud experience was for us in the 70’s. 

Cherry was describing beef on wecks but had no idea what he was talking about.  

7 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Cherry was describing beef on wecks but had no idea what he was talking about.  

The Aud, the fans, the loudness, and the signs.  The Phantom Sign Makers had the best signs, often prefaced by “Taro Says”.  

• Like (+1) 2

I was thinking about the Aud. It's apt how the word "connection" keeps popping up in Sabres lore. For good reason.

The youngens might not recognize this, but: 1. The fans were connected with each other, because there was no piped-in noise or loud music to wipe out conversation, at least in the early days of the Aud (this might have changed into the 90s); you could easily talk to your neighbor, you could hear chants get started; and a horn didn't obliterate the joy of a Sabres goal; 2. Fans were connected with the players because of how close to the ice the fans were, the steepness of the sections; old-timer talk about hearing fans' comments, recognizing faces and voices; players could read the many signs; 3. The players were connected to the community; they truly were the Beatles on ice; 4. The fans were connected to Uncle Milt; you listened; you impersonated him; 5. The fans were connected to Ted and Rick; we still have Rick, God bless him; 6. The owners and GM were connected to the fans; they sat in the crowd with their wives! 7. Everyone was connected in a communal experience that, at that time, had almost nothing to do with being a captive audience, a marketers' fantasy; no Dr. Shatkin Kiss Cam, ads on the boards; when the thingamajig atop the scoreboard starting flipping and showing Marlboro ads and others I can't remember, it was a thing. In a way, it was the beginning of the end.

I'd like to formally apologize to Mrs. Richards for my punctuation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.