2021 NHL Playoffs 1st Round

Norcal

I think building from the net out is the best approach. It's not the only one, but it does allow you to compensate for other weaknesses (say on D) as you improve. Sabres fans should know that all too well from the Hasek years. 

The truly important thing however is to build a team first, with a team first attitude. When you establish that culture and add the talent to that everybody feeds off everybody else and when more talent comes in they become part of that and max their potential.   You can only successfully start with the superstars if the superstars are hard working team leader types. It's a  harder thing to accomplish. 

Sabres are always backwards over the last decade or so. Team of individuals rather than a team. Hoping this will finally change. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Norcal said:

Got busy and missed the Broons Caps game but this hit is crazy!!

What I really liked about it was Lazar came out of it laughing. Guy must think he died and went to heaven. Very energetic hard working hockey player. Adams just tossed him in as a freebee and we get Cody Eakin to play 4C next year. Yay 😞

• Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Love playoff hockey. Each man raises his level of play and feistiness. 

That’s why I scoff at posters making (in my opinion, ignorant) all encompassing generalizations about how no current Sabres would “have what it takes” to play well in the playoffs.

EVERY team in the playoffs have players who are “elevating their game” and playing “out of character” compared to the regular season. The Sabres would be no different. Any team for that matter would be no different. Now, having success beyond the first round is a different discussion entirely. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

That’s why I scoff at posters making (in my opinion, ignorant) all encompassing generalizations about how no current Sabres would “have what it takes” to play well in the playoffs.

EVERY team in the playoffs have players who are “elevating their game” and playing “out of character” compared to the regular season. The Sabres would be no different. Any team for that matter would be no different. Now, having success beyond the first round is a different discussion entirely. 

You have to be willing to take a beating and give one back to have success in the playoffs.

Regular season means very little really and I don't think it's a good measure of playoff success. 

Kyle Palmieri scored a couple the other night in game one and only had one to finish out the season after the deadline I think? 

• Like (+1) 2

Overall disappointing night last night, I thought.

Tonight and tomorrow we get to probably the 2 most anticipated series for me: Edmonton/WPG and Montreal/Toronto.

Can't wait to watch both.

It's always so much fun to hate on TO, but then in this case it means cheering for...Montreal?!  That's strange, but I'd rather do that than the reverse.

Growing up in the '70s and '80s, Montreal was easily my most hated team in the NHL.

41 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Tonight and tomorrow we get to probably the 2 most anticipated series for me: Edmonton/WPG and Montreal/Toronto.

It's always so much fun to hate on TO, but then in this case it means cheering for...Montreal?!  That's strange, but I'd rather do that than the reverse.

Growing up in the '70s and '80s, Montreal was easily my most hated team in the NHL.

I’m in the same vein as you… It’s a necessary evil… This round root for Montreal. Because leafs fan tears taste so delicious. 😋

51 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I’m in the same vein as you… It’s a necessary evil… This round root for Montreal. Because leafs fan tears taste so delicious. 😋

Which round tastes better?

Watching playoff hockey just reinforces the need for a true #1 goaltender and upper tier backup. 

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

Which round tastes better?

Watching playoff hockey just reinforces the need for a true #1 goaltender and upper tier backup. 

The round doesn’t matter to me.

I just enjoy the fan tears of Leafs, Bruins, Flyers, and Habs. With a healthy side of tears from Canes and Stars fans too 😂

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I am positive now, that when Adams and Karmanos talk about players "wanting to be here" they're talking about Taylor Hall, not Eichel. What an absolute crook.

I could certainly see that being the case.

Eichel, Reinhart, and Risto are tired of being here to various degrees but likely have genuine positive feelings towards the Sabres and the city as a whole. After all, we drafted them, developed them, cheered for them, etc. After all, one can be heavily disappointed with management/ownership and be open to trade yet still have a semblance of loyalty to their teammates and fans regardless. It seems as if Hall literally only came here to work us over and play with Krueger. If Eichel hated the team and city, he wouldn't of bothered trying to play this year and would of outright stated he wanted out. Risto is by far the most ready to leave yet he's never shown it during games; he has never become unwilling to lay his body on the line for the team. 

5 hours ago, Kruppstahl said:

The Jets don't have Ehlers and PLD tonight and Copp didn't play the last game of the season and has only practised a few days and that was in a  non-contact jersey. It will be an uphill battle to say the least.

As far as the Habs go, the first cup I can remember any team winning was the '66 Habs and that got me hooked on hockey and the Habs.

I was spoiled in the 60s and 70s having them as my favorite team. 

Cups in 60, 65, 68, 69, 71, 73, 76, 77, 78, and 79. Most teams don't win that many in their existence. Graduated in '76 and started working with my buddy from school that was a Bruins fan. To say I took advantage of him after we graduated in hockey bets is a severe understatement.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.