Sabres Coaching Search Tidbit from Lebrun

LGR4GM

Sabres GM Kevyn Adams said at the outset after firing Ralph Krueger that he would take his time and talk to different people. By all accounts, that’s exactly what he’s doing, a source said Friday.

https://theathletic.com/2542220/2021/04/26/lebrun-what-does-the-future-hold-for-nhl-head-coaches-on-expiring-contracts-or-in-interim-positions/

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• LGR4GM changed the title to Sabres Coaching Search Tidbit from Lebrun

And this:

Rod Brind’Amour, Carolina: Owner Tom Dundon reiterated to me last week that an extension with Brind’Amour will get done. Here’s where I believe this is at: Both sides are hopeful a deal will eventually get done, but there remains a gap in both positions after some negotiations earlier this season. As I’ve said before, it’s hard for me to see Brind’Amour anywhere else. But he’s among the lowest-paid coaches right now. His new annual salary probably has to at least start with a 2 to make it work. And that’s still a bargain. I’m betting this gets done and Brind’Amour stays put. But it’s not a total slam dunk.

If Brind'Amour is having a hard time getting Dundon to $2MM per year, and if TP was willing to pay RK $3.9MM per year, and if there is no deal signed between now and the playoffs -- the Sabres will have a shot at him.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

And this:

If Brind'Amour is having a hard time getting Dundon to $2MM per year, and if TP was willing to pay RK $3.9MM per year, and if there is no deal signed between now and the playoffs -- the Sabres will have a shot at him.

His Wife’s Family is so ingrained in the Raleigh Area it’s hard to see Him leaving. The Pegulas would have to exceed the 6.25 Million AAv that Babcock got and that probably wouldn’t do it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

His Wife’s Family is so ingrained in the Raleigh Area it’s hard to see Him leaving. The Pegulas would have to exceed the 6.25 Million AAv that Babcock got and that probably wouldn’t do it.

As the wife of an NHL HC, sooner or later, the family will be uprooted.  Deal with it Mrs. Brindy.  How often does a HC stay in one job his entire career?

5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Just now, LabattBlue said:

As the wife of an NHL HC, sooner or later, the family will be uprooted.  Deal with it Mrs. Brindy.  How often does a HC stay in one job his entire career?

One would think if he is going to uproot for anywhere it would be Vancouver (Rod is Vancouver Islander and regularly comes home in the summer) or Seattle, with the proximity and the Francis connection.

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Yzerman went back to Detroit due in part because of his wife, and Babcock to Toronto because of his. Forgot who but some d-man went to the Rangers for the same reason. Like it or not it's definitely a big factor.

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Yzerman went back to Detroit due in part because of his wife, and Babcock to Toronto because of his. Forgot who but some d-man went to the Rangers for the same reason. Like it or not it's definitely a big factor.

Not saying it isn't a factor, but at some point when RB needs to go somewhere else for an NHL HC opportunity, is he going to turn it down because wifey won't go?

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Not saying it isn't a factor, but at some point when RB needs to go somewhere else for an NHL HC opportunity, is he going to turn it down because wifey won't go?

I mean Yzerman left a freaking juggernaut he built by himself in Tampa for a last place Detroit team, and Babcock did the same. If RB already has a HC job and he can make 3-4M more per year I doubt he leaves. I mean, why would he? He's got incredible ties to the area, his family's entire life has been and is there, and the Hurricanes are really good. He already made money, what else could he want that Carolina doesn't give him?

From Tim Graham

Granato appears worthy. Certifying his job would get no argument here.

But, to me, as a longtime, cynical observer of Buffalo sports, his permanent appointment seems inevitable as the easy way for the Pegulas and Adams to rationalize they’ve done a pretty good job all along.

If only we had moved on from Krueger earlier and captain Jack Eichel hadn’t suffered a season-ending injury and top goalie Linus Ullmark had been more available, then everything would be swell. We suffered some bad breaks and already had our coaching answer in the program. Look at us! We’re all set!

The potential danger with this approach would be failing to properly evaluate all possible candidates, something the Pegulas did when they named Adams general manager without a job search.

Then again, who’s to say the Sabres’ decision-makers will choose the right applicant from a pool of options?

The Pegulas these days are drawn to hockey people they can trust more than any other attribute. Granato can’t be hurting himself in that regard.

24 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

From Tim Graham

But, to me, as a longtime, cynical observer of Buffalo sports, his permanent appointment seems inevitable as the easy way for the Pegulas and Adams to rationalize they’ve done a pretty good job all along.

If only we had moved on from Krueger earlier and captain Jack Eichel hadn’t suffered a season-ending injury and top goalie Linus Ullmark had been more available, then everything would be swell. We suffered some bad breaks and already had our coaching answer in the program. Look at us! We’re all set!

The potential danger with this approach would be failing to properly evaluate all possible candidates, something the Pegulas did when they named Adams general manager without a job search.

Then again, who’s to say the Sabres’ decision-makers will choose the right applicant from a pool of options?

The Pegulas these days are drawn to hockey people they can trust more than any other attribute. Granato can’t be hurting himself in that regard.

They do appear to be looking around anyway.

Having said that, it would be consistent with Terry Pegula in his business to hire an up-and-comer like Granato.  Indeed, going with someone better established would be somewhat out-of-character.

We can but hope he gets it right.

52 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Yeah, she can buy an electric blanket with the extra million.

• Haha (+1) 1

Brind'Amour is not going to stay for $2MM per year when multiple teams are willing to give him $4MM with term.  He might choose a different suitor over Buffalo, but he's not going to leave a huge amount of $ on the table.  When has that ever happened?

And while Seattle and Vancouver both have qualities that might make them preferable to Buffalo, both are quite a bit farther away from NC than Buffalo, which is a 1-hour nonstop flight with no time change and no border to cross.

I don't think the Babcock and Yzerman situations are comparable -- those situations did not involve big cash disparities like this situation might. 

Family preferences mean a lot in these situations, but they don't result in sacrificing 50% of potential earnings.

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Brind'Amour is not going to stay for $2MM per year when multiple teams are willing to give him $4MM with term.  He might choose a different suitor over Buffalo, but he's not going to leave a huge amount of $ on the table.  When has that ever happened?

Yes, he will. He's already a millionaire, he's not going to leave the franchise he lead to a Cup, a great and winning team, and his and his family's home of 15 years, for $2M. He won't.

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Yes, he will. He's already a millionaire, he's not going to leave the franchise he lead to a Cup, a great and winning team, and his and his family's home of 15 years, for $2M. He won't.

Since I tossed the number out originally I went and looked it up. He has been with Carolina since the 99-2000 season so around 21 years. I think as long as the pay is decent he will stay. Seems that that is home to him now. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, WildCard said:

The difference isn't $2MM.  It's quite likely the difference between $2MM x 3 years and $4MM x 4 years -- so a difference of $10MM.

NHL coaches don't walk away from that kind of spread.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

The defenseman was Jacob Trouba who requested a trade because his fiance was going to medical school. 

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/27476743/her-career-important-my-career-how-jacob-trouba-kelly-tyson-balance-their-ambitions

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

The difference isn't $2MM.  It's quite likely the difference between $2MM x 3 years and $4MM x 4 years -- so a difference of $10MM.

NHL coaches don't walk away from that kind of spread.

Don Granato doesn't walk away from $10MM. Rod Brind'Amour, who made $50M in salary alone ($72M inflation adjusted) will for things money can't buy. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

From Tim Graham

I hate hearing this all the time

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Also this little tidbit. Brindamour doesn’t have the most positive view of a couple organizations around the league. 

I'm curious as to who they'd be. Buffalo has many faults but our owners do pay good money and I'd guess Kevyn Adams, perhaps Karmanos, are a friend. 

I'm partially curious if he still holds a grudge against the Flyers franchise over how his career ended there. Arizona would be the closest to a given due to their questionable money and strife with scandals.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.