Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

It’s OK to speculate in this thread again, right?

To Montreal: Sean Monahan

To Calgary: Jack Eichel

To Buffalo: Zary, Romanov, Poehling, Calgary 1st, Montreal 2nd, Calgary 3rd.

This is a direct lift from the Ott/Col/Nsh Duchene trade. The pieces correspond very well and the Kotkaniemi situation has put Montreal in the need to make a move.

19 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is a direct lift from the Ott/Col/Nsh Duchene trade. The pieces correspond very well and the Kotkaniemi situation has put Montreal in the need to make a move.

I’d want a MTL 1st. I don’t really have much interest in another lefty dman or a bot 6 player like Poehling

10 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I’d want a MTL 1st. I don’t really have much interest in another lefty dman or a bot 6 player like Poehling

But to be fair, you don’t have much interest in any offer that doesn’t include a potential 1st-line centre, and multiple  picks/prospects at least as good as Romanov, but a better fit.

41 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Monahan has very little value so they’re not giving all that up for him.

12 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Monahan has very little value so they’re not giving all that up for him.

Not saying you’re wrong with the 2nd half of that sentence but I suspect you are with the 1st.

Turris got that much and was at a very similar place at that time of his career:

A 26-year-old former top-10 pick centre with 66 goals and 158 points in the past 3 seasons

A 27-year-old former top-10 pick centre with 64 goals and 148 points in the past 3 seasons

On 8/31/2021 at 10:03 AM, LabattBlue said:

Every time I read KA wants 4 or more pieces, it makes me want to bang my head against the wall.  If the primary piece is fantastic, would KA say, “yeah, but I still want 5 more pieces”? If KA is really throwing this requirement out there, he is an idiot.  

Agreed. I’d take Zegras for Eichel straight up. Or Rossi plus Kahkonen for Eichel.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Agreed. I’d take Zegras for Eichel straight up. Or Rossi plus Kahkonen for Eichel.

If Comtois (a @dudacekfavorite) was included with Zegras I would consider the deal. The ideal scenario in a Jack deal is getting a potential first or second line center plus some more. The center doesn't have to be a first line center right away but at least have the potential to be that caliber of player. 

6 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Those are terrible trades. Zegras is definitely of interest but he has proven nothing. He flames out and in two years you’re left with nothing. Same with the other. Easy no.

What is it with you and the WJC? Sure it’s a short tourney but you have a strange aversion towards it. Zegras has proved he is a top prospect and has scored 13 points in his first 24 NHL games. Considering that KA is looking for futures, what would you want instead? A bunch of lottery tickets? To that I say… no.

27 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Those are terrible trades. Zegras is definitely of interest but he has proven nothing. He flames out and in two years you’re left with nothing. Same with the other. Easy no.

I think that it's doubtful that Zegras flames out.  He may or may not become a first line center and I agree with you on this point.  I would think worst case he would end up as a top 6 winger.  

But regardless Zegras is a top A+ prospect who would be great to get back in an Eichel deal which has been discussed in depth here.  I agree with you that I would like something else in addition to him to make the trade.

25 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

What is it with you and the WJC? Sure it’s a short tourney but you have a strange aversion towards it. Zegras has proved he is a top prospect and has scored 13 points in his first 24 NHL games. Considering that KA is looking for futures, what would you want instead? A bunch of lottery tickets? To that I say… no.

CASEY MIDDLESTAT

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

The post you responded to have literally nothing to do with the WJC and I don’t have a weird aversion to it nor have I posted about it frequently. You must be thinking of someone else.

6 minutes ago, Digger said:

I think that it's doubtful that Zegras flames out.  He may or may not become a first line center and I agree with you on this point.  I would think worst case he would end up as a top 6 winger.  

But regardless Zegras is a top A+ prospect who would be great to get back in an Eichel deal which has been discussed in depth here.  I agree with you that I would like something else in addition to him to make the trade.

It’s doubtful, for sure. But I’m not trading the franchise player for him straight up. It’s highly unlikely he ever even gets close to Eichel’s level.

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

The post you responded to have literally nothing to do with the WJC and I don’t have a weird aversion to it nor have I posted about it frequently. You must be thinking of someone else.

Nope, I have it right. Basing this on other arguments we’ve had about using it as a measuring tool. This is an extension of that. To say that Zegras has “proved nothing” is absurd and betrays your position into a ridiculous one.

13 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Very grateful you're not the GM.

k.

17 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

CASEY MIDDLESTAT

Casey Mittelstadt?  Yes he was good at the WJC and he was good in college and he will find his way with the Sabres.  He was given a job on the Sabres when the team unwisely traded O'Reilly and did not get a decent center back in the trade.  That's the season Mittelstadt should have spent in the AHL instead of being given a spot on the Sabres.

The WJC is a great tournament to see top prospects play against top competition in high pressure games.  I agree with you it's not everything but it is a great way to see how your team's prospects compare with others.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, I-90 W said:

Nope, I have it right. Basing this on other arguments we’ve had about using it as a measuring tool. This is an extension of that. To say that Zegras has “proved nothing” is absurd and betrays your position into a ridiculous one.

I couldn’t tell you how he has done in the WJC. Very good, I think? He has proven nothing in the NHL, that is what the statement means. He has proven nothing in the NHL, period.

Edited by Hoss

11 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I couldn’t tell you how he has done in the WJC. Very good, I think? He has proven nothing in the NHL, that is what the statement means. He has proven nothing in the NHL, period.

He has proven a little bit. He has proven that he can produce 13 ES points in 24 games as a 19/20 year old, with a positive +/- and very good possession #’s, albeit in an offensively slanted role.  No PP time though.

There is still plenty of of uncertainty, and none of this nullifies your point, I just really like the way that Zegras is trending and wanted to write about it.

42 minutes ago, Hoss said:

So you participate in discussions and arguments about NHL draft picks in other threads but all of a sudden don’t know what happened in the biggest under 20 tournament in the world nine months ago? Lol not sure if I’m buying that. 

34 minutes ago, Curt said:

He has proven a little bit. He has proven that he can produce 13 ES points in 24 games as a 19/20 year old, with a positive +/- and very good possession #’s, albeit in an offensively slanted role.  No PP time though.

There is still plenty of of uncertainty, and none of this nullifies your point, I just really like the way that Zegras is trending and wanted to write about it.

Same. I like what I’ve seen and it gives me hope he’ll be a damn good player.

9 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

So you participate in discussions and arguments about NHL draft picks in other threads but all of a sudden don’t know what happened in the biggest under 20 tournament in the world nine months ago? Lol not sure if I’m buying that. 

You’re very stuck on this WJC thing but none of this discussion has anything to do with it. He hasn’t proven anything at the NHL level. There are a number of players I’d trade Eichel for one-for-one but none of them can be called prospects.

3 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Same. I like what I’ve seen and it gives me hope he’ll be a damn good player.

You’re very stuck on this WJC thing but none of this discussion has anything to do with it. He hasn’t proven anything at the NHL level. There are a number of players I’d trade Eichel for one-for-one but none of them can be called prospects.

You can’t separate Zegras as a prospect and last year’s WJC. Also a 1/4 of an NHL season at a half a PPG is not “nothing”. You are overstating your case because you don’t like my proposal.

11 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

You can’t separate Zegras as a prospect and last year’s WJC. Also a 1/4 of an NHL season at a half a PPG is not “nothing”. You are overstating your case because you don’t like my proposal.

I’m not talking about Zegras as a prospect. I love Zegras as a prospect and I want him. But he has not PROVEN (that’s the only word I want you to focus on) a damn thing in the NHL. We know nothing about what he is in the NHL yet. You don’t flip your franchise player for a single unproven piece.

• Like (+1) 3